What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
I don’t think we’ll see a substantial increase from NZ to be fair.

I’d love to see another Kiwi side: take on union as well take on fumbleball.

In saying that though, it would be purely for player numbers. Like a PNG team perhaps would be
Double the content for half the price extra ?
38 million for one team

Colk

First Grade
The Chinese property market is tanking and their population growth could go negative

if their property bubble gets pricked finally the price of iron ore will collapse and Perth will end up like places like Yeppoon when their mining boom busted
Sure a lot of things could go wrong or change Like for example the NZ or PNG economy could explode in the next couple of years. Who knows

Nevertheless, at this time, Perth is the biggest market without a side in Australia. It also has more wealth than PNG or NZ. That’s a factor

Wb1234

Referee
Sure a lot of things could go wrong or change Like for example the NZ or PNG economy could explode in the next couple of years. Who knows

Nevertheless, at this time, Perth is the biggest market without a side in Australia. It also has more wealth than PNG or NZ. That’s a factor
Sure it does

but how much of that wealth can rugby league capture when sports like union and soccer who have been there for decades have failed to capture ?

probably not much and probably less than another team in Brisbane or nz2 to be fair

Colk

First Grade
Double the content for half the price extra ?
38 million for one team

For one, there is no competition in NZ thus there is no competitive tension. Who is going to take the coverage off Sky? They aren’t going to pay more than they have to.

Secondly, the NZ broadcaster revenue makes up 10% of the deal (give or take). What is of value to the Australian broadcasters is more important to what is of value to NZ broadcasters. That might sound harsh but it is true

Thirdly, the biggest TV deal in NZ is what $70 something million per annum for Rugby Union which is a much bigger sport

Now I could be wrong but I can’t envision a situation wherein Sky are going to significantly increase their deal when there is no competitor forcing them to or to the point where they are going to pay more for League than they are Union.

It’s unrealistic.

Pneuma

First Grade
They are good points. That’s what the advantages of a second New Zealand side would be.

Yeh but the sky might fall in specifically on Perth. Meanwhile massive projects are being commissioned across the Pilbara and Kwinana as WA moves to become Australia’s epicentre for renewable energy.

This is just the beginning folks. The race to renewables is on in earnest particularly now the US has passed the IRA. WA and North Queensland in particular will benefit from this. Fun days ahead. Twiggy’s Fortesque Future Fuels division is also very much at the forefront of this and he loves his rugby union. The force will be safe I’m afraid. Follow the $$$s and you can be sure there will be plenty across WA. Apologies to the anti Perth Depression Gang!

Wb1234

Referee
For one, there is no competition in NZ thus there is no competitive tension. Who is going to take the coverage off Sky? They aren’t going to pay more than they have to.

Secondly, the NZ broadcaster revenue makes up 10% of the deal (give or take). What is of value to the Australian broadcasters is more important to what is of value to NZ broadcasters. That might sound harsh but it is true

Thirdly, the biggest TV deal in NZ is what $70 something million per annum for Rugby Union which is a much bigger sport

Now I could be wrong but I can’t envision a situation wherein Sky are going to significantly increase their deal when there is no competitor forcing them to or to the point where they are going to pay more for League than they are Union.

It’s unrealistic.
Because the second team will drive ratings and subscriptions

you know like fox paid extra for the dolphins even though they had no competition

it’s how pay tv networks make more money lol

the warriors get excellent ratings heck when they are doing well it’s on par with the all blacks

Colk

First Grade
Sure it does

but how much of that wealth can rugby league capture when sports like union and soccer who have been there for decades have failed to capture ?

probably not much and probably less than another team in Brisbane or nz2 to be fair

You’re right about another Brisbane side but then again what’s the point of another side in Brisbane straight after the Dolphins? They haven’t played a game yet so wouldn’t it be better to let them bed into the competition first

Your estimation about NZ is way off. You are really underestimating union for one and there isn’t a market in New Zealand comparable to Perth in terms of wealth or corporate dollars. There just isn’t.

Wb1234

Referee
You’re right about another Brisbane side but then again what’s the point of another side in Brisbane straight after the Dolphins? They haven’t played a game yet so wouldn’t it be better to let them bed into the competition first

Your estimation about NZ is way off. You are really underestimating union for one and there isn’t a market in New Zealand comparable to Perth in terms of wealth or corporate dollars. There just isn’t.
Super rugby is comatose

the nrl can walk all over it

the afl on the other hand is well managed and has excellent revenues across all fronts

and nz tv viewers have shown in large numbers they will watch rugby league

something that afl fans have shown they won’t

Pneuma

First Grade

To sum this bloke up

Perth - everything bad
NZ2 - everything good

Pneuma

First Grade
Super rugby is comatose

the nrl can walk all over it

the afl on the other hand is well managed and has excellent revenues across all fronts

and nz tv viewers have shown in large numbers they will watch rugby league

something that afl fans have shown they won’t
You really do live in a funny little world of delusion,

Pneuma

First Grade
Perth can wait till team 20

by then the other expansion teams will have made so much money for the arlc they can start looking at Perth
Just give it a rest. You’re a broken record. Looks like PR has got so far under your skin he’s turned you into a peanut!

Wb1234

Referee
You really do live in a funny little world of delusion,

Etc

warriors are wildly popular on nz tv

Pneuma

First Grade

Etc

warriors are wildly popular on nz tv
You must be trolling. That’s an article from 2008

Colk

First Grade
Because the second team will drive ratings and subscriptions

you know like fox paid extra for the dolphins even though they had no competition

it’s how pay tv networks make more money lol

the warriors get excellent ratings heck when they are doing well it’s on par with the all blacks

A second team won’t do anything for subscription TV in New Zealand. The reason why is that most sporting events are shown on subscription TV as opposed to FTA TV. So no it won’t do much

Even if that were the case (rising subscriptions) I’ll repeat there is no competition. It’s a monopoly. The whole point of monopolies for a business and why it is bad for consumers and good for those businesses is they are not obliged to do anything. So Sky are under no obligation to pay extra and if there is no obligation to pay extra then they won’t.

Also there is no way outside of say a finals match (perhaps) that a Warriors match would have the same ratings as an All Blacks match. Sure the Warriors and League have some popularity but to seriously suggest that they could beat Union is foolhardy. It’s not realistic at all

Pneuma

First Grade
A second team won’t do anything for subscription TV in New Zealand. The reason why is that most sporting events are shown on subscription TV as opposed to FTA TV. So no it won’t do much

Even if that were the case (rising subscriptions) I’ll repeat there is no competition. It’s a monopoly. The whole point of monopolies for a business and why it is bad for consumers and good for those businesses is they are not obliged to do anything. So Sky are under no obligation to pay extra and if there is no obligation to pay extra then they won’t.

Also there is no way outside of say a finals match (perhaps) that a Warriors match would have the same ratings as an All Blacks match. Sure the Warriors and League have some popularity but to seriously suggest that they could beat Union is foolhardy. It’s not realistic at all
You’re responding to a bloke who provides 15 year old news articles as evidence. Good luck.

Colk

First Grade
To sum this bloke up

Perth - everything bad
NZ2 - everything good

I think they are the only two sensible options at this time.

They offer both positives and negatives. I just think you have to be realistic about them both

Colk

First Grade
You’re responding to a bloke who provides 15 year old news articles as evidence. Good luck.

Yeah I think I’m going to sit this one out. Look I wouldn’t mind a second NZ team particularly to develop new talent but to think it’s going to rake in heaps more money from NZ and Australia; or that NZ is as economically strong as WA; or it’s going to take over union are all a bit silly

Pneuma

First Grade
I think they are the only two sensible options at this time.

They offer both positives and negatives. I just think you have to be realistic about them both
Couldn’t agree more. The NRL is spoilt for options. The afl has Tasmania and really isn’t interested. I prefer Perth to NZ as it is a new and bigger market, particularly its economy. And it has a government chomping at the bit to get a team. WA is brimming with potential and will become a renewables powerhouse. $$$$$s everywhere. Obvious issue is the small mindedness of NSW teams who are only now starting to show signs of understanding the importance of extending their market reach and support base. The player base doesn’t worry me. It’s a bit of a cop out really. A side played out of Toronto in the ESL ffs. That’s ambition.
NZ has two issues. Warriors need some space to regain its audience post Covid. That’s doable.
More seriously the NZRL really needs an overhaul after years of decline. By any measure NZ rugby league has been struggling. You see that in the NZ thread and if you visit their websites it’s scary how much their comps have shrunk.
I hate union as much as the next sane person but it’s ingrained in their culture. League is a very distant second against all metrics. Still reckon a second club would work though. But I do worry about the state of the game there. I’d be happy for an 18th team from either. I just think Perth offers more.