What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Colk

First Grade
A second team in NZ could work. Although I wouldn’t split it all over the place as some are suggesting.

I would probably go with a South Island team and play the majority of games in Christchurch with maybe one or two in Dunedin.

Not sure about Wellington whilst the other option of an Auckland side would probably impact the Warriors

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably identify as being from south island. Ppl who think other places & countries don't have own internal rivalries make me laugh. Russians love there family too
Does anyone say they are from “southern island” and are you suggesting the team shouldnt be based in the north in Wellington if that’s the catch all you’re going with?
It’s dumb as dog sht and there’s a very good reason no succesful sports club in the world does it, unless you are classing gws as succesful?

Pippen94

First Grade
Does anyone say they are from “southern island” and are you suggesting the team shouldnt be based in the north in Wellington if that’s the catch all you’re going with?
It’s dumb as dog sht and there’s a very good reason no succesful sports club in the world does it, unless you are classing gws as succesful?

Most teams represent area greater than city in title. Cavs in nba for example play out of Cleveland but also take in nearby cities like Akron where lebron is from.
As far as playing in different locations happens all the time. Jacksonville jags even play in London every year

Perth Red

Post Whore
Domthe
Most teams represent area greater than city in title. Cavs in nba for example play out of Cleveland but also take in nearby cities like Akron where lebron is from.
As far as playing in different locations happens all the time. Jacksonville jags even play in London every year
Do they take a number of games elsewhere? Hmmm. Yeh one offs, not scheduled multiple fixtures every year. How many times do you have to be told there’s a massive difference?

the only examples of what you are advocating I can think of are gws and dragons. Would you say either are a resounding success?

it’s like you realise that in reality there probably isn’t a city big enough for nz2 so to counteract that reality you’ve imagined a model where numerous cities will somehow feel an affinity to one club who nomadically wander around these cities playing games.

Pippen94

First Grade
Nothing like a Pom living in WA giving advice about NZ… FFS

I’ve heard plenty of people from the South Island referring to themselves as Southerners which is is a derivative of southern

It's bizarre somebody would think that wouldn't be case. Here in Australia ppl are parochial about what state they from & that's just arbitrary lines on maps (well different governments etc but still)

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's bizarre somebody would think that wouldn't be case. Here in Australia ppl are parochial about what state they from & that's just arbitrary lines on maps (well different governments etc but still)
But aren’t you saying the club should be based mainly in Wellington? How’s that fit your “southern” narrative?

again give me a succesful example of your proposed model, anywhere will do. Surely if it works someone else must be doing it?

Perth Red

Post Whore

I’ve heard plenty of people from the South Island referring to themselves as Southerners which is is a derivative of southern
You need to pay attention, I posed a question not a statement.

Pippen94

First Grade
But aren’t you saying the club should be based mainly in Wellington? How’s that fit your “southern” narrative?

again give me a succesful example of your proposed model, anywhere will do. Surely if it works someone else must be doing it?

Where did I say that?! I never proposed a model either. If I proposed to model would be Gail gadot tho she needs to put on weight

MugaB

Coach
So wtf are you arguing? What is the model you think will work for nz2, we’re all ears.
I don't think he cares lol
You're the only one looking for arguments to retort more arguments
..the endless repetitious cycle of PVL hate..

Pippen94

First Grade
So wtf are you arguing? What is the model you think will work for nz2, we’re all ears.

I don't know nz enough to know what is right. A team representing south island would have catchment of 1 million ppl. Wellington on other hand is as big as Canberra, Newcastle, Goldie or there about..but I defer to kiwis

Canard

Immortal
What do you want them to do ? Field two nrl teams

a quarter of current nrl players being kiwi isn’t enough for you ?

Why aren't the NRL and the other 16 clubs out there developing all these "extra" kiwi juniors that you speak of?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know nz enough to know what is right. A team representing south island would have catchment of 1 million ppl. Wellington on other hand is as big as Canberra, Newcastle, Goldie or there about..but I defer to kiwis
haha after all that and arguing for a nz2 as 18th club you can’t even think of a concept that you think will work and is worth advocating for. You’ve had some cracking trolls in these threads but this must be the best one yet!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why aren't the NRL and the other 16 clubs out there developing all these "extra" kiwi juniors that you speak of?
More importantly why why would the 16 Australian nrl clubs who are reliant on nz players agree to another nz club coming in that will take them?

Wb1234

Referee
There’s a whole anti Auckland thing so a team covering the rest of nz is probably the best idea

welington has the population outside Auckland and being on the north island has the most population so it probably should be based there

the stadium is well located even if it’s not the best stadium

6 games there
4 Christchurch
Plus one game in Hamilton and one in Dunedin

they can use the name New Zealand and the warriors can go back to Auckland

Te Kaha

First Grade

Southerners are people below Dunedin. A Cantab or someone from the west coast or higher wouldn't refer to themselves as "southerners".

Because they don't exist. Millions need to be spent on junior pathways so they do.

Are you being deliberately obtuse ?

I just said a quarter of current nrl players are from nz

And you would be wrong. A quarter have a "tie" to NZ, but 25% are not necessarily NZ native.

There’s a whole anti Auckland thing so a team covering the rest of nz is probably the best idea

welington has the population outside Auckland and being on the north island has the most population so it probably should be based there

the stadium is well located even if it’s not the best stadium

6 games there
4 Christchurch
Plus one game in Hamilton and one in Dunedin

they can use the name New Zealand and the warriors can go back to Auckland

What is it with Australians who think the "Anti Auckland" thing is real?? You guys really have zero idea.

And half the games away from their "base"?
- Goodbye to good timeslots for TV
- Goodbye season ticket holders.
- Hello to double the accommodation and transport costs for 2-3 squads and support staff.
- Goodbye to Juniors who's schooling and home life is wrecked.

You are mental if you think that a club like that would work ANYWHERE with the distances involved.

Latest posts