What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shouldn't the Storm be left to invest where they feel suits them?
Yes absolutely, my point is it isnt the Storms primary job to grow the sport in Victoria, its the ARLC's. And theyve done a sht job of it. So when comparing the size of Swans to size of Storm you have to factor that in. You get out what you put in as a general rule of thumb.
Storm have done very well meeting their remit which is to win games, be sustainable and be of value to the competition.

Iamback

Coach
Yes absolutely, my point is it isnt the Storms primary job to grow the sport in Victoria, its the ARLC's. And theyve done a sht job of it. So when comparing the size of Swans to size of Storm you have to factor that in. You get out what you put in as a general rule of thumb.
Storm have done very well meeting their remit which is to win games, be sustainable and be of value to the competition.

Not really though, NRL Clubs have been developing the talent for 100 years. It works so is no need to change anything.

Who knows how best to attack the Melbourne market. Someone in Melbourne or in a head office in Sydney?

Wb1234

Referee
Not really though, NRL Clubs have been developing the talent for 100 years. It works so is no need to change anything.

Who knows how best to attack the Melbourne market. Someone in Melbourne or in a head office in Sydney?
How many islanders and kiwis do they have there though

do we want to spend millions on the stick insects they seem to produce

Canard

Immortal

I have a radical suggestion.

What about a properly funded state body that runs the junior system, and has development officers and administrators on the ground in the local area who know the market and participants involved.

You know like they have been doing in QLD and country NSW for the last 100 years, without any assistance from NRL clubs.

Wb1234

Referee

What about a properly funded state body that runs the junior system, and has development officers on the ground in the local area who know the market and participants involved.

You know like they have been doing in QLD and country NSW for the last 100 years, without any assistance from NRL clubs.
No

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

The storm are a well liked team in Melbourne and are attended very well when you compare it to other NRL teams, but the culture of AFL attendance means it doesn't look as successful, but that's unfair. Comparisons to the Swans are difficult given they have had an almost 20 year head start on the Storm. Both have carved a successful slice of a foreign market and are continuing to grow year on year.

From a purely Melbourne view, one thing that would help grow the game and build that tribalism is a second Melbourne team, but that seems a long way down the expansion wish list. If you have a real city rivalry and a game in Melbourne every week, you would get a much faster growth in the sport and likely then a greater uptake at the grass roots level. The sport needs more contact with the city than every second week plus the odd SOO match at the MCG to improve it's footprint on the city and the game.

Wb1234

Referee
It's quaint that you think all the junior development of RL is handled by NRL clubs, and that its run from an office in Sydney.

wasting hundreds of millions should be avoided imo

the most I would do is give the storm a million extra grant for fielding junior teams

but like I said the body types in Victoria aren’t suited to rugby league

Iamback

Coach
The storm are a well liked team in Melbourne and are attended very well when you compare it to other NRL teams, but the culture of AFL attendance means it doesn't look as successful, but that's unfair. Comparisons to the Swans are difficult given they have had an almost 20 year head start on the Storm. Both have carved a successful slice of a foreign market and are continuing to grow year on year.

From a purely Melbourne view, one thing that would help grow the game and build that tribalism is a second Melbourne team, but that seems a long way down the expansion wish list. If you have a real city rivalry and a game in Melbourne every week, you would get a much faster growth in the sport and likely then a greater uptake at the grass roots level. The sport needs more contact with the city than every second week plus the odd SOO match at the MCG to improve it's footprint on the city and the game.

You make some good points here

mongoose

Coach

wasting hundreds of millions should be avoided imo

the most I would do is give the storm a million extra grant for fielding junior teams

but like I said the body types in Victoria aren’t suited to rugby league

lol do you still practice phrenology?

Iamback

Coach

What about a properly funded state body that runs the junior system, and has development officers and administrators on the ground in the local area who know the market and participants involved.

Most of that is club based though

Schoolboys comps have every club scouts there

Pneuma

First Grade

That’s the job of NRL Victoria. It has an administration team based in Melbourne and DOs and others who do precisely this. They are in a strong relationship with the Storm and all comps are now identified under the Storm banner. The game is getting stronger there with new clubs and competitions forming. I’m working with them on a process for restarting the game in Tassie.

Canard

Immortal
That’s the job of NRL Victoria. It has an administration team based in Melbourne and DOs and others who do precisely this. They are in a strong relationship with the Storm and all comps are now identified under the Storm banner. The game is getting stronger there with new clubs and competitions forming. I’m working with them on a process for restarting the game in Tassie.

Thats why I said its the role of the state body, making fun of @Wb1234 ludicrous suggestion that NRL teams are the ones who run junior development.

Wb1234

Referee
Thats why I said its the role of the state body, making fun of @Wb1234 ludicrous suggestion that NRL teams are the ones who run junior development.
No I said victoria won’t produce many nrl players and we shouldn’t waste millions on this

and given the lack of islander and kiwis down there whatever players we do produce are going to struggle to make it

Afl has spent 200 million trying to get islanders in western Sydney to play afl. And it’s gone down the sink

Latest posts