What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

The Great Dane

First Grade
Haha, scrape, scrape, what’s that sound? Sound of gobsmacked moving the posts again.

you can’t possibly know that.
avg for one off games is 16,250. All it shows is there are around 20k active rl fans in perth NOW. Getting them to attend 12 games a year will be the new clubs job. Building more will be the new clubs and nrls job.
You're stretching the definition of active support pretty thin there.

Despite the overlap between the two groups, there's a big difference between a person that'll show up to a one off event and a person that'll show up week in week out.

But in saying that, I have no doubt that a sizable amount of the people whom will end up being hardcore season ticket holders of any Perth NRL side have about as much interest in the one off games as I do in GWS, Mariners, or Illawarra Hawks games that have been played in Canberra.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You and a few on here seriously underestimate AFL fans reluctance to adopt new sport. Honestly, it's not going to happen. AFL is a quality product, exciting, long history, unmatched at ground experience and everyone in those states are into it, it's all they talk about, it's part of their coulter and there's 9 games a week!
AFL Fans don’t have time for another sport and they aren't abandoning theirs.
Union is like League with a whole bunch of boring shit thrown in, League is a superior product, especially the NRL compared to Super Rugby- we can take those fans without Question. I'm not suggesting they'll stop watching the All blacks and unless the All blacks start playing 9 times a week it won't affect them following the NRL.
The goal isn't, or rather shouldn't be, to convert AFL fans, or the fans of any other sport for that matter.

It should be to provide an alternative for the people in the market whom aren't particularly fond of, e.g., Aussie Rules. In markets the size of Perth and Adelaide there're undoubtably enough of those people to sustain an NRL side.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
So you're a gaslighter. Got it 👍
You and a few on here seriously underestimate AFL fans reluctance to adopt new sport. Honestly, it's not going to happen. AFL is a quality product, exciting, long history, unmatched at ground experience and everyone in those states are into it, it's all they talk about, it's part of their coulter and there's 9 games a week!
Union is like League with a whole bunch of boring shit thrown in, League is a superior product, especially the NRL compared to Super Rugby- we can take those fans without Question. I'm not suggesting they'll stop watching the All blacks and unless the All blacks start playing 9 times a week it won't affect them following the NRL.

I’m not a gaslighter. I am just exposing a bias. Again, I’ll reiterate that a second NZ team will be a good decision, yet like Perth, you would be in the shadow of a more dominant sport. Essentially you are all arguing the same thing because it’s the same scenario, just from a different perspective.

For example have you not been to NZ and not witnessed the support that the All Blacks get? They are probably the most fervent supporters of a national side outside of Europeans and soccer and India/Pakistan and cricket. It’s part of the Kiwis culture just as much as fumbleball is to fumbleball states.

The difference between you and I is that you’re severely (for some reason) underestimating fumbleball states and (for some reason) oversstimating NZ and their ability to watch different sports.

Lastly, in any case, it’s all irrelevant. Whoever has the money will be part of the competition moving forward.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tell that to the FORCE.
Force struggle for the same reason that all RU teams struggle in Australia; the product isn't competitive with the competition and they're not allowed to do anything significant to change it.

It's kind of like places that sell old school food. You know the restaurants that haven't updated there menus since the 70s/80s. They've got a small but committed customer base that would hate any changes, but they struggle to attract new customers in the modern world with modern tastes.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Haha, scrape, scrape, what’s that sound? Sound of gobsmacked moving the posts again.

you can’t possibly know that.
avg for one off games is 16,250. All it shows is there are around 20k active rl fans in perth NOW. Getting them to attend 12 games a year will be the new clubs job. Building more will be the new clubs and nrls job.
Your ability to polish a turd is unrivalled

Colk

First Grade
For me Perth is a no brainer and has been for a long time. We need a team there. Adelaide scares me It’s a cesspit of afl ignorance.

C’mon you want the Rams back lol.

There was a time when it was the murder capital of Australia so it’s a pretty scary place

The Great Dane

First Grade

I’m not a gaslighter. I am just exposing a bias. Again, I’ll reiterate that a second NZ team will be a good decision, yet like Perth, you would be in the shadow of a more dominant sport. Essentially you are all arguing the same thing because it’s the same scenario, just from a different perspective.

For example have you not been to NZ and not witnessed the support that the All Blacks get? They are probably the most fervent supporters of a national side outside of Europeans and soccer and India/Pakistan and cricket. It’s part of the Kiwis culture just as much as fumbleball is to fumbleball states.

The difference between you and I is that you’re severely (for some reason) underestimating fumbleball states and (for some reason) oversstimating NZ and their ability to watch different sports.

Lastly, in any case, it’s all irrelevant. Whoever has the money will be part of the competition moving forward.
TBF, there's no such thing as too big to fail.

There was a time when it meant something when people called Baseball America's favourite pastime. Then the NFL came along and usurped that crown.

But you're right, another NRL team in NZ isn't going to have anywhere the impact on the All Blacks, or NZ RU in general, that many here expect.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
I think Perth would be an easier market than Melbourne. Melbourne is very protective of its beloved code and I think there's a cultural bias against Sydney and Rugby League that exists there. The Storm are probably lucky that Melbourne is such a large city and has so many expats to be honest. I reckon Perth is similar to Brisbane in that they will get behind any sports team if it represents their city. I'm just speculating here though...

greenBV4

Bench
The Storm are probably lucky that Melbourne is such a large city and has so many expats to be honest. I reckon Perth is similar to Brisbane in that they will get behind any sports team if it represents their city. I'm just speculating here though...
There's a very large number of storm fans who have an AFL team first, then storm as their second, then yes you also have the expats like myself

But honestly there's a very small number of people down here who follow afl and afl only, there's a massive sporting culture in general and people will get being any local team, especially if it's seen as an event

Long story short most normal people are capable of following more than 1 sport.. something a majority of the vocal posters on here seem to not realise

MugaB

Coach
There's a very large number of storm fans who have an AFL team first, then storm as their second, then yes you also have the expats like myself

But honestly there's a very small number of people down here who follow afl and afl only, there's a massive sporting culture in general and people will get being any local team, especially if it's seen as an event

Long story short most normal people are capable of following more than 1 sport.. something a majority of the vocal posters on here seem to not realise
Correct, most of my mates here in syd, support an alf side (as a 2nd code of course)

MugaB

Coach
I think Perth would be an easier market than Melbourne. Melbourne is very protective of its beloved code and I think there's a cultural bias against Sydney and Rugby League that exists there. The Storm are probably lucky that Melbourne is such a large city and has so many expats to be honest. I reckon Perth is similar to Brisbane in that they will get behind any sports team if it represents their city. I'm just speculating here though...
Correct, i reckon Perth could easily sustain 2 NRL sides, the important factor is establishing one first, to me its a no brainer to involve West Coast Bears, and when thats up and running, and when it becomes normal with league participation growing as it did in the late 90s, then recreate or fabricate the return of the Western Reds/Pirates some seasons later, it would get as big as the brisbane derby is now, within a decade..
Then you'll see support for both teams one being a relocation and the other as a home grown WA born entity.
The problem everybody is hung up on the amount of licences, again they are not finite, they don't cost anything, or who owns it, how it should work, , none of that matters, we should all be supporting league over there, it will only boom with the population that they have, the quickest way to start is to let the bears start it off so that the naysayers can quell, and the NRL can cement a following, then push forward to increase the footprint, otherwise we'll be here in another decade saying why is there still no perth..
I've been saying for ages, the quality of junior participation isn't upto the standard against clubs that are regularly in comps from the east coast, a relocated team would advance that, and then will come the fruits, it happened with the reds, they had plenty of imports, and WA juniors started to come thru, then it all fell apart and they got snapped up by the Storm after SL war

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Not Brisbane but the rest of your post is spot on

Perth used to be the fourth rugby league state behind nsw qld and act (yes I know it’s a territory)

Gobsmacked

Bench
I couldn’t be friends with an afl fan

I haven’t got a single friend who’s aafl fan. They might watch it if they are at the pub and it’s on

most second sport is the premier league or even nfl
It's funny how to suit thier argument it becomes common knowledge that everyone follows other sports but in every other post it " fumble" and " toffball"
Great work to Perth red. He's been here so long beating that drum that he has everyone convinced that Perth is a no brainer and West Australians are primed for an NRL team!
Meanwhile this strong advocate for a Perth team and it's people is an Englishman from Hull.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pneuma

First Grade
C’mon you want the Rams back lol.

There was a time when it was the murder capital of Australia so it’s a pretty scary place
Adelaide is full of old churches renovated into Pokie dens. This offends me on every level as I can’t abide gambling as a source of income for football clubs.
Oops sorry that’s not me that’s somebody else.
Bring back the Rams!

mongoose

Coach
I couldn’t be friends with an afl fan

I haven’t got a single friend who’s aafl fan. They might watch it if they are at the pub and it’s on

most second sport is the premier league or even nfl
this is dumb. If you were born in Melbourne and grew up there you would probably be an AFL fan and be saying the same dumb shit about League fans - same with everyone in the Fight club. Yes it's a bit of fun poking fun at other codes, especially AFL which loves to blow its trumpet about how great and progressive it is but hating normal fans of other sports is really stupid.

Latest posts