What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs the eels

Original Name

Juniors
The carry on in the media about Cleary field goal is ridiculous

I’ve seen plenty of players kick 40 meter goals before
Under that kick pressure though? Usually you kick it off a fast play the ball. They all knew Cleary was going for it and had a set line off the tap, that's what made it freakish.

Whino

Bench
I don’t think we're in as much trouble as some make out. Still very early days. Our attack is bang average but that has been the case for the last couple of years. We could easily be 3 - 0 (same as Parra tbh).

Worth a look at stats wise.

Looking at a small sample size. 3 games played 48 points scored in attack this year, against some tough opposition.

How did we fair previous years after 3 games and what were the opposition? Keep in mind Cleary missed a few games in 2022 and 1 in 2020.

Bracketed figures indicate where oppenents would finish at the end of that season.

2022) 86 points scored against 3 teams that would miss the finals.
28 v Manly (Would finish 11th)
20 v Saints (10th)
38 v New (14)

2021) 64 points scored against 2 teams that would miss the finals.
24 v N,Qld (15th)
28 v dogs (16th)
12 v Melb (1st)

2020) 66 points scored against 2 teams that would make the finals.
20 vs Souths (6th)
32 v Saints (12th)
14 vs New (7th)

2019) 30 points scored against two teams that would make the finals.
12 V Parra, (5th)
16 vs New (11th)
2 vs Storm (1st)

48 points scored is our least amount of points since 2019.
However including our dominant period (20-22) it is clear to see. Most of our past opponents have been down the lower end of the ladder. Compared to the 3 games we have had this year.
Obviously we don't know where the teams we have played are going to finish yet. They certainly have been 3 tougher opponents than previous years.

I would like to see how we really go on a dry track in the afternoon against a mid-table team to see how good our attack is this year.

After watching WCC, I said Moral is down. But the desire to win has been lost. It's that 1%

Matthew Johns bought this up after our losses in the WCC and against the Broncs.
He compared us going for 3 in a row like Canberra were in 91. Canberra had won back-to-back (89-90) and some of there players came back to training late in 91 from a World Cup and started the year slow.
Past players commented how playing Canberra in 91 was completely different to their 89-90 period. Their hunger were noticeably down on previous years.
Only the class of some of their players got them through the year to the big one. Beaten in the end by a much stronger and hungrier team ;)

We are now back-to-back premiers, that have come back to the pack. Every team will lift against us. They all want to knock us off. Only our best will beat the threats.
As we saw last night. That 1% is crucial

Iamback

Coach
I don’t think we're in as much trouble as some make out. Still very early days. Our attack is bang average but that has been the case for the last couple of years. We could easily be 3 - 0 (same as Parra tbh).

Outside of the Broncs, I haven't seen any other teams improve enough to really worry me.

As I said earlier a few sides in front of us now won't have Origin affect them, We still will lose 5 guys and have a difficult run home.

That is not taking into affect teams being fresh from byes, Others having guys stand down due the 11 day rule or just injuries full stop.

We have started on fire the last few seasons, So I guess we see how we play from behind

Blade23

Juniors
I know mate, they won't. I get why we kept Kenny over him 4 years back. Kenny's debut game was fall of energy and we won the game, so katoa and Egan didn't get re-signed. Looking back it was a bad decision.

Egan was re-signed in Feb 2019 and released Oct 2019. His release was after we signed Api. Kenny was a cheap re-signing. Egan was on Gould overs.
The Egan re-signing was the Gould's doing. That was the last straw between Ivan and Gould. Gould went and did it without telling any one. Ivan wanted to go in another path. He knew the Katoa, Kenny, Egan wasn't working.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Egan was re-signed in Feb 2019 and released Oct 2019. His release was after we signed Api. Kenny was a cheap re-signing. Egan was on Gould overs.
The Egan re-signing was the Gould's doing. That was the last straw between Ivan and Gould. Gould went and did it without telling any one. Ivan wanted to go in another path. He knew the Katoa, Kenny, Egan wasn't working.
I hope he knows Kenny isn't working now. Is there anyone worth bringing, that's the question

age.s

First Grade
Having Kenny as a low cost squaddie is great. I'd actually have him as one of the better 14s in the comp. Covers numerous positions and can give both a quality hooker a spell while doing some time in the middle. In fairness, this is what the club has planned this year, it just looks awful when Luke goes off with a HIA shortly after he comes on and while anyone can have a bad headknock, it does play into the perceived weakness of the plan which is that Luke's just not up to the NRL physically.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Kenny as 14 is great, but Salman in the bench with him isn't. When they bring in a 5 man bench it would be ok. Peachy, Salman are good options for when a 5 man bench comes

age.s

First Grade
Kenny as 14 is great, but Salman in the bench with him isn't. When they bring in a 5 man bench it would be ok. Peachy, Salman are good options for when a 5 man bench comes
Why? It's the same bench as last year. Kenny was fine giving Api a spell last year when needed (not always) and from what I've seen of Luke he's every bit as potent as Api, giving us that extra attacking dimension. The middle rotation is the same (and not in any way a problem) and Salmon provides the same cover we had last year.

The problem is we don't have Kikau busting a game open for 80 minutes anymore, but there's no bench we could magically conjure that would change that.

hindy111

Post Whore
I would try get Egan back. I'm not sure if there is anything in the UK to think about, but we need a fix

Imo he was the form hooker of the comp this season. Behind Harry Grant he is next best I think. Tough as nails.
I'd be trying to get him back. He is just getting into his peak years.
I'm interested to see how B.Hands develops. He looked ok.

betcats

Referee
Our left side attack should be doing a lot better than it is even without Kikau. Fair enough its never going to be as good without kiks but so far its been a complete momentum killer every time we go there, its painful to watch us shift the ball left now, they've got nothing out there.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Why? It's the same bench as last year. Kenny was fine giving Api a spell last year when needed (not always) and from what I've seen of Luke he's every bit as potent as Api, giving us that extra attacking dimension. The middle rotation is the same (and not in any way a problem) and Salmon provides the same cover we had last year.

The problem is we don't have Kikau busting a game open for 80 minutes anymore, but there's no bench we could magically conjure that would change that.
That's right regarding Kikau, so you need someone else who covers. I'm hoping Martin goes to left edge and if Hoskings can build from last night he can be on the right. But as we had had it for the last 4 games, it's a bad bench with 4. If they do change it to 5 then ok.

GongPanther

Referee
games lost by 1 point, all in wet, still trying to get combos working which will take time. Parra game was the first game in which we were not held up over the line, so that is a HUGE improvement. In all intents and purposes, there is no need to panic. Hope Sommerton one day gets a crack from the bench. :)

Last edited:

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Imo he was the form hooker of the comp this season. Behind Harry Grant he is next best I think. Tough as nails.
I'd be trying to get him back. He is just getting into his peak years.
I'm interested to see how B.Hands develops. He looked ok.
Hands looks good lastnight from his small spell, another one we let go. Poor management, now we have 3 potential hookers after Kenny, Luke. Hope we can develop one into NRL standard. But here is the issue. In 2021 it was R smith next, 2022, Connor Mason and now it's Somerton. This has no stability in our jnr path.

hindy111

Post Whore
This is how I see Penrith at the moment. The defense is still excellent and brutal. But this style is semi final like. You can't do it every week. That's why you need to be able to score points so can tone the defense down.

Yeo and Cleary where awesome. The best two players who make others look better then they are.
Edwards still playing at a high level as is Tago. I don't get the Tago criticism. Penisni is elite defensive and he stayed on him all game. He still ran for 200mtrs or close. Crighton got to attack Waqa and Waqa shut him down. I'm not sold on Crighton. Good in space or when you're owning the opposition but when it's tough and tight he isn't that effective.

Hosking's was very good. Ran hard. Much more potent then Garner.
Issue last night was Leota 40 mtrs, Garner 20mtrs JFH 80 mtrs. That's just not enough from your big men. Especially Leota who is a power runner.

Also To'o isn't making those bullocking runs as of yet. It was similar last season thou until mid year and he exploded.

As far as Api goes he is a huge loss. When Penrith role he used to jet off and catch markers out, get penalties or 6 agains etc. Kenny is dead set a lock forward. He has no creativity. Just passes ball. That's fine for 20mins to fill in but you need a hooker who can kick, run, throw the odd LBA and TAs. I don't see any of that in him. Reminds me of a guy we had called Matt Keating but atleast he could kick. Same initials which is ironic.
If have a spot open i'd go to market or promote a kid. I wouldn't waste my time with MK starting.
Joey Lussick at the Warriors would be a handy pick up.

Latest posts