What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely he’s a better option at 6 than that bald old fart Rankin??
In the lower grades it's just about giving everyone enough game time. It's why Flegg-eligible players get dropped when there's too many older players needing a spot in reserve grade. In this case we have enough halves and not enough centres, so the utility goes to centre. Rankin can't play there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just said I don’t think API is a centre
His profile at least lists him as a centre: https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cup/parramatta-eels-nsw-cup/daejarn-asi/

It's hardly conclusive proof of anything (the merkins who do the profiles are f**king useless) but it is at least evidence that centre is one of his spots. He has started at centre four times in the NRL, but he lost every time: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/...tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0t

As a deadshit who doesn't understand statistics, it's all the proof I need that it was the fault of the coaches who picked him there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Or no nrl team is interested.... enter waqa blake
In a world where Jordan Grant and Sam Loizou can have top 30 contracts, there is always NRL interest in players like Opacic and Blake. But the money in the UK as a top 17 player is better than the money for non-top 17 players in Australia.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
His profile at least lists him as a centre: https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cup/parramatta-eels-nsw-cup/daejarn-asi/

It's hardly conclusive proof of anything (the merkins who do the profiles are f**king useless) but it is at least evidence that centre is one of his spots. He has started at centre four times in the NRL, but he lost every time: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/...tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0t

As a deadshit who doesn't understand statistics, it's all the proof I need that it was the fault of the coaches who picked him there.
My mail who lets just say is a bit of a footy savant reckons he’s not a centre. Best spot is 1 or 6. This same merkin told me that Hopgood would be one of the buys of the year and was pissed his Cows missed out on him. He played 20’s with Benny Hunt and coaches in QLD at a decent level. LBA’s also give him special feelings. You’d like him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I've seen Asi play and I'm sure he's wasted at centre. But if he's not as good as the halves we have in NRL, centre might be his only option. Defence is important out there, which might be a weakness of his, but work rate isn't such a big deal, and that is very important for spine players. Making an overlap usually requires spine players working hard off the ball.

Gronk

Staff member
I've seen Asi play and I'm sure he's wasted at centre. But if he's not as good as the halves we have in NRL, centre might be his only option. Defence is important out there, which might be a weakness of his, but work rate isn't such a big deal, and that is very important for spine players. Making an overlap usually requires spine players working hard off the ball.
He’s just come back from a bung knee plus Miller-Stephen isn’t going to lose his spot based on the way he’s started.

Pazza

First Grade
In a world where Jordan Grant and Sam Loizou can have top 30 contracts, there is always NRL interest in players like Opacic and Blake. But the money in the UK as a top 17 player is better than the money for non-top 17 players in Australia.

Would the nrl even let waqa sign a Contract these guys are on?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Would the nrl even let waqa sign a Contract these guys are on?
It's about supply and demand. Blake wouldn't be on huge money but he would be on top 17 money. Once he's off contract it depends on the market. Given recent form it's conceivable he might only get $200k somewhere fighting for the fourth spot in some club's starting outside backs, similar to Simonsson, Russell and Dunster. But also given the vast open spaces allowed by ESL defences, his speed might be very useful over there. They might see him a marquee worth $300k (for example). Anyone who has scored 60 tries in the NRL (and is under 30 years of age) would star in the UK.

It's different to the Folau situation because he was NRL marquee level at the time.

hindy111

Post Whore
My mail who lets just say is a bit of a footy savant reckons he’s not a centre. Best spot is 1 or 6. This same merkin told me that Hopgood would be one of the buys of the year and was pissed his Cows missed out on him. He played 20’s with Benny Hunt and coaches in QLD at a decent level. LBA’s also give him special feelings. You’d like him.

Sounds like you have a very good little bird in your nesr