What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 4 - Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles: Saturday 25th March 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal

EVERYONE ON YOUR FEET TONIGHT AT 7:35PM ALL RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS WHAT A NIGHT IT WILL BE CMON BOYS WE MAY BE DOWN ON TROOPS IN THE MIDDLE BUT DIG DEEP AND DO IT FOR SATTS!

LETS GET THAT SOUTH SYDNEY CHANT BACK UP AND RUNNING AT ACCOR

Steenson123

Juniors
This is a MUST win. Cannot afford to fall to 1-3.
Lose here and the season is virtually done.
It may be worthwhile for Demetriou to put Mitchell at centre. The squad needs a spark. Needs to score points badly get that offense going. I would try Tass at FB and Mitchell at #3. Tass appears good with catching balls.

callmack1

Staff member
Saluting Sattler: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/24/saluting-sattler/

Tears are flowing!! If this doesn't get you fired up, I don't know what will!

‘He represents everything we want to be’: Murray’s Sattler tribute​

Cameron Murray has heard all the stories about John Sattler, and what he appreciated most was that the late club legend represented everything today’s South Sydney player aspires to be.
“They say John Sattler was a knockabout, a gentleman and very polite off the field, but he was a hard man on the field,” Murray told the Herald on Friday.

“That represents everything we want to be here at the club - it represents what the South Sydney man really is.
“To see all the tributes continuing to roll in for him, even after all these years he actually donned the jersey, it says something about how much of a legacy he left at this club.

“Part of our culture here is we care about each other, we pride ourselves on being good blokes off the field and taking our manners everywhere. We want to be good role models in the community. It’s not just about performance on the field and winning games. Someone like John Sattler encapsulated that so well.”
Murray is well aware of the similarities between himself and Sattler. Not only does he wear Sattler’s No. 13, he was also elevated to the captaincy at the age of 24.
Cameron Murray is more like John Sattler than he realises.

Cameron Murray is more like John Sattler than he realises.
Souths have done a marvellous job arranging a fitting tribute in such a short time. Sattler died on Monday aged 80, having battled dementia.
There will be a minute’s standing ovation during the 13th minute of Saturday night’s clash against Manly. The players will wear the same playing strip, complete with a torn rabbit emblem, made famous by Sattler in the 1970 grand final, when he finished the game with a broken jaw against the Sea Eagles.

Souths coach Jason Demetriou said it was appropriate that Murray would lead the players out on such an emotional evening at Accor Stadium.
“It couldn’t be more fitting [Murray is skipper], because their personality traits on and off field are very alike,” said Demetriou.
South Sydney will wear a one-off special jersey with the half rabbit emblem made famous by John Sattler in the 1970 grand final.

South Sydney will wear a one-off special jersey with the half rabbit emblem made famous by John Sattler in the 1970 grand final.
“Cam couldn’t be more polite and well spoken and humble off the field, but on the field he’s a ruthless competitor who gives his all for his teammates. We saw that last week late in the game [when Murray shirt-fronted Roosters centre Joey Manu], he’s prepared to stand up for his teammates and do whatever it takes.
“That’s why he’s the captain of our club and our future is bright.”

Missing several middle forwards through injury, and coming up against a powerhouse Manly pack, Murray knows he will need to dig deep like Sattler and lead the way up front.

No minute’s silence for Sattler​

South Sydney have gone to great lengths to celebrate John Sattler’s life, but were surprised the NRL did not introduce a minute’s silence before all games this weekend, similar to the pre-match acknowledgements for Paul Green and immortal Bob Fulton.
Sattler was an Australian captain, and did a lot for the game in south-east Queensland in his later life.
“I assumed it [a minute’s silence] would have happened [at every game], but as a club we know how he means to us, and that’s the most important thing,” Souths coach Jason Demetriou said.
The NRL were mindful Sattler was a one-club player - and that the Souths-Manly clash played such a huge role in his career - and wanted to keep the focus as much as possible on Saturday night’s match.

callmack1

Staff member
Lovett to debut tonight!! From Zero Tackle,

South Sydney set to hand Central West product NRL debut

South Sydney are set to unveil a highly-touted youngster against the Sea Eagles, handing Parkes product Ben Lovett an NRL debut.

The Rabbitohs are amidst a forwards crisis, currently without the likes of Hame Sele, Tevita Tatola, Shaquai Mitchell, Jai Arrow, Liam Knight and Siliva Havili due to injury, with four of them members of the club's full-strength 17.

Originally named as a reserve, Lovett is expected to sneak onto the interchange bench in place of utility Blake Taaffe, who lined up for the Rabbitohs' NSW Cup side on Saturday afternoon instead.

Lovett is a former Parkes Spacemen, and hails from the Central West. The back-rower was running around the countryside featuring for the Western Rams before being picked up by South Sydney.

Now, on Saturday night, he'll run out at Accor Stadium alongside some of the game's best players in Latrell Mitchell and Cameron Murray, and the name 'John Sattler' brandished across his chest.

It's a far cry from the rusty old stand at Pioneer Oval in Parkes, where the young forward plyed his trade as a junior.

The club initially announced his signature ahead of the 2020 season, brought into the club's Jersey Flegg side as a 17-year-old.

Now, in his fourth season in Redfern, the back-rower will finally make the leap to becoming an NRL player at 21 years old.

Despite wearing jersey No. 18, Lovett will join the bench with both utility Taaffe and fellow rookie back-rower Tallis Duncan named in the 19-man squad, yet playing reserve grade at Accor Stadium for the club.

He'll join Jed Cartwright, Davvy Moale and Michael Chee Kam on the bench, although Jason Demetriou may opt to start Moale and bring Daniel Suluka-Fifita off the bench as he did against Penrith a fortnight ago.

callmack1

Staff member
The time is now. It's nearly game time.

Our backs are against the wall for sure but Sattler is in our hearts. Go out there and do it for him lads!!

Lesssgooooo!!

Thumper

Juniors
This is a MUST win. Cannot afford to fall to 1-3.
Lose here and the season is virtually done.
It may be worthwhile for Demetriou to put Mitchell at centre. The squad needs a spark. Needs to score points badly get that offense going. I would try Tass at FB and Mitchell at #3. Tass appears good with catching balls.
South’s were 1 from 4 in 2014. Season is not over with a loss.

Thumper

Juniors
Another bloody try against us just before half time !!
Standard Souths. They would be number 1 for conceded tries in the last 5 minutes of a half. Can’t hold the ball. The coaches can’t even get guys to draw and pass. Simple f**king plays and we have bombed 4 tries in 3 weeks from not drawing and passing. Embarrassing

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
@Souths Till I Die @BotanyBorn&Bred i hope you lads will be there tonight if ever there was a night to get off work or cancel another commitment it’s tonight don’t miss it! Anything less than 20k I’d be disappointed
Magic night Brother!
We honoured an absolute legend of our history, we won the game against the team that is tied to Satts legend, showing the guts and grit that he had to in the famous GF.
AND Labor won the election, you bloody beauty!
I know our other brother @handyman2190 will be STOKED about that

Rabbits20

Immortal
Magic night Brother!
We honoured an absolute legend of our history, we won the game against the team that is tied to Satts legend, showing the guts and grit that he had to in the famous GF.
AND Labor won the election, you bloody beauty!
I know our other brother @handyman2190 will be STOKED about that
Hands nearly bleeding voice cooked what a moment when we won I shed a tear!

Down 6 middle forwards against a full strength in form Manly side on the back foot losing the battle in the middle yet the boys dug in! I thought Manly had us going into GP but we lifted.

My voice is pretty much gone but we did it for Satts! Glory Glory!!!

So proud of the boys that was a sensational win!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Congratulations, down to the wire….! Awesome.

Hands nearly bleeding voice cooked what a moment when we won I shed a tear!

Down 6 middle forwards against a full strength in form Manly side on the back foot losing the battle in the middle yet the boys dug in! I thought Manly had us going into GP but we lifted.

My voice is pretty much gone but we did it for Satts! Glory Glory!!!

So proud of the boys that was a sensational win!
Our defense was terrific.
Cook and Murray newly 100 tackles between the two of them!
And Cody was very very good.

Latest posts