What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

RedVDave

First Grade
I'm a sucker for punishment so I decided to watch the presser it's one of the shortest I've ever seen (2 mins 45 seconds) Hook looked dumbfounded like he had absolutely no idea and no answers he answered just one question while Ben Hunt did the rest and looked equally bemused just repeating it's disappointing over & over again. Made for truly depressing viewing.

jeffdragon

Bench
I'm a sucker for punishment so I decided to watch the presser it's one of the shortest I've ever seen (2 mins 45 seconds) Hook looked dumbfounded like he had absolutely no idea and no answers he answered just one question while Ben Hunt did the rest and looked equally bemused just repeating it's disappointing over & over again. Made for truly depressing viewing.
Exactly, I thought the same..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Because I’m an old softie, I feel for Hook. However, for the first time in my lifetime as a supporter of the Dragons, I stopped watching half way through the second half. It’s painful. Changes have to be made ASAP.
One of my mates got up left the ground with 20 mins to go. He simply said, "I've had enough of this." I don't blame him. We're talking about a fan that has been supporting for 40, 50 years or more and never walks out.

Hard to be optimistic. Hook has to go.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Listening to Hook on the "official" RedV podcast (recorded after the Broncos game), he sounded very positive about the team, had a the best pre-season since he had been at the club and then went on to say how happy he was with the "balance" of the roster and depth in the club.

Our roster is filled with fringe first graders, the slowest outside backs and a team lacking any leadership.

I don't feel sorry for Hook. He's had a couple of years to turn us around but were regressing under him.

since77

Juniors
The board has taken 12 years to paint itself into a corner. Maybe 3 years ago was the right time to try an unproven coach. But I can’t see any of the crop of Ryles, Young etc turning this ship around. And it’s just such a risk. They’re complete unknowns as coaches. If they were going to do that the time was right when they sacked McGregor. But now - Throw a fortune at Bellamy or take a 2 year punt on Des. We need a hard nosed experienced coach who knows what success looks like to even begin to dent the sludge of mediocrity the club has mired itself in.

FlameThrower

Bench
What about Maguire? We don’t need a rookie. We need an experienced coach with success and who can bring discipline and structure. Right now we are unfit, unfocused, unmotivated and undisciplined.
But there has to be some change at BOD level. We are so far behind other successful Clubs, and having a bunch of ex players in key roles is not the way to go.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
What about Maguire? We don’t need a rookie. We need an experienced coach with success and who can bring discipline and structure. Right now we are unfit, unfocused, unmotivated and undisciplined.
But there has to be some change at BOD level. We are so far behind other successful Clubs, and having a bunch of ex players in key roles is not the way to go.

The fact that Maguire failed at Wests Tigers means he won't do any good with the Dragons. Our problems go substantially deeper than the coach.

Victoire

Juniors
The board has taken 12 years to paint itself into a corner. Maybe 3 years ago was the right time to try an unproven coach. But I can’t see any of the crop of Ryles, Young etc turning this ship around. And it’s just such a risk. They’re complete unknowns as coaches. If they were going to do that the time was right when they sacked McGregor. But now - Throw a fortune at Bellamy or take a 2 year punt on Des. We need a hard nosed experienced coach who knows what success looks like to even begin to dent the sludge of mediocrity the club has mired itself in.
Not doubting your logic here at all, you make a good point and I would be overjoyed with Des (just making conversation really) but isn't "a hard nosed coach who knows what success looks like" exactly what the club told us we were getting when they hired Griffin in the first place? This is from the club's official press release way back in September 2020:

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

I think they might embarrass themselves if they make the same claim again, even if Hasler is a massive upgrade.

ps in that same press release, Griffin said this:

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

You failed pretty miserably on that one simple goal, pal. Pack your bags.

TruSaint

Referee
The more i think about the coach, the more Im leaning towards Dez.

I am a fan of Ryles, but as mentioned my many in this forum, it may too early. Hasler is not just a disciplinarian, he's a disrupter, and Saints need a shot of reality.

I would be happy if we have Hasler 2 years and let him rip apart the roster as he sees fit. Lets face it, we have a bog average squad, and the footy is boring as. 5 hit ups and then a bomb. rinse and repeat.

Players like Lomax, who we have all be waiting for reach SOO level, would barely fit in a top 10 side.

Bring him now, and start the re-build.

Having the Sharks put 40 on us at our supposed spiritual home is Mary level.

Dragon David

First Grade
Not doubting your logic here at all, you make a good point and I would be overjoyed with Des (just making conversation really) but isn't "a hard nosed coach who knows what success looks like" exactly what the club told us we were getting when they hired Griffin in the first place? This is from the club's official press release way back in September 2020:

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

I think they might embarrass themselves if they make the same claim again, even if Hasler is a massive upgrade.

ps in that same press release, Griffin said this:

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

You failed pretty miserably on that one simple goal, pal. Pack your bags.
Thanks for the memories Victoire. In hindsight, the complete opposite to what everyone at the club and the coach envisaged and said. We suffer from repeat offenders. Say one thing and realise another. No vision, no ability and know nuffing!