What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
I always thought it was a bit of a stretch for the Coalition to commit to building (in one of their most marginal seats) a swish new 30,000-seat stadium for 1 NRL club (Penrith) to play up to 12 regular season games from it. Talk about trying to save the furniture. Now that Penrith isn't flying high at the top of the ladder, how often will their existing stadium sell out?

The Panthers were intelligent in that they buddied up with the Matildas and made Penrith Stadium the home of womens international soccer in Sydney. A new stadium will help re-enforce that point.
The Sharks need to ditch their 8000 capacity stadium also. Not sustainable.

Yeah what's going on there? I thought it was just construction which had lowered the capacity. Is it permanetly in that 10-11,000 range now? The Sharks own the ground so perhaps they're still making a decent profit off each game and they're fine with the numbers.

I've been pretty vocal on here about my belief that boutique can often be better for Sydney teams, but Shark Park stretches for me the definition of what's acceptable. Particualry for a side that plays all of their games out of one location. It's comprable in size and facilities to Dolphin Stadium - Redcliffe only play three games a season there.

Tiger Shark

Bench
The Panthers were intelligent in that they buddied up with the Matildas and made Penrith Stadium the home of womens international soccer in Sydney. A new stadium will help re-enforce that point.

Yeah what's going on there? I thought it was just construction which had lowered the capacity. Is it permanetly in that 10-11,000 range now? The Sharks own the ground so perhaps they're still making a decent profit off each game and they're fine with the numbers.

I've been pretty vocal on here about my belief that boutique can often be better for Sydney teams, but Shark Park stretches for me the definition of what's acceptable. Particualry for a side that plays all of their games out of one location. It's comprable in size and facilities to Dolphin Stadium - Redcliffe only play three games a season there.

It's still reduced whilst the development is being built, once that's done later this year the capacity will go up.

How much it goes up, not sure, probably wont be back to pre development crowds but dont think they'll mind too much when the adjacent leagues club is ready the pre and post game revenue will be significant for them.
Not many leagues clubs attached to the ground where fans can go before and after.

Timbo

Staff member
It's still reduced whilst the development is being built, once that's done later this year the capacity will go up.

How much it goes up, not sure, probably wont be back to pre development crowds but dont think they'll mind too much when the adjacent leagues club is ready the pre and post game revenue will be significant for them.
Not many leagues clubs attached to the ground where fans can go before and after.

I have no dramas with a 16,000 seat ground next to a leagues club. Ensures a decent vibe before, during and after a game.

the capacity i would say, is gonna end at about15-16k

it was in the 20's pre the southern stand. then that was built and it was lowered as, more seats = less crammed in people.

the last 20k crowd was 2017 when heaps of kids performing were allowed in for free.

now 2 of the hills people stood on are gone, so thereforeless than the 18 or so k capacity.
also, theres liquor licencing and police requirements depending on the capacity. so theyll set it at the level they can handle.

the issue for sharks is because they won it they really hsould be up for the stadium costs, which is a waste really.

place needs alot of work and could be a 20k venue again with a complete redo.

Timbo

Staff member
the capacity i would say, is gonna end at about15-16k

it was in the 20's pre the southern stand. then that was built and it was lowered as, more seats = less crammed in people.

the last 20k crowd was 2017 when heaps of kids performing were allowed in for free.

now 2 of the hills people stood on are gone, so thereforeless than the 18 or so k capacity.
also, theres liquor licencing and police requirements depending on the capacity. so theyll set it at the level they can handle.

the issue for sharks is because they won it they really hsould be up for the stadium costs, which is a waste really.

place needs alot of work and could be a 20k venue again with a complete redo.

Could extending the ET Stand from dead ball to dead ball line be an option? That'd add capacity.

Wb1234

Referee
Could extending the ET Stand from dead ball to dead ball line be an option? That'd add capacity.
both main stands ( et and burns) are crap they have minimal seating

the least Cronulla should’ve got out of the redevelopment was a boutique 20k all seater

Perth Red

Post Whore
both main stands ( et and burns) are crap they have minimal seating

the least Cronulla should’ve got out of the redevelopment was a boutique 20k all seater
They had to use the money to pay off their debts (mostly). They didnt have any left to rebuild a stadium. Better to buy more pokies apparently.

Wb1234

Referee
They had to use the money to pay off their debts (mostly). They didnt have any left to rebuild a stadium. Better to buy more pokies apparently.
They did a really bad deal with the developer

then he knew they were desperate and gave them even less as an early payout

the developer originally told them he would get 200 units and it’s almost close to 1000 now lol

they easily could’ve got the da themselves and sold the land to a developer for 200 to 300 million

Perth Red

Post Whore
They did a really bad deal with the developer

then he knew they were desperate and gave them even less as an early payout

the developer originally told them he would get 200 units and it’s almost close to 1000 now lol

they easily could’ve got the da themselves and sold the land to a developer for 200 to 300 million
Desperate times call for desperate measures. At the time it seemed a good deal given the strife they were in. Problem was they kept losing millions and had to cash in the commercial retail stuff that would have given them ongoing revenue. Hindsight's a wonderful thing but if they could have foreseen the NRL grant going as high as it has they probably wouldn't have done that.
Still wouldn't have given them the $200mill plus they needed to pay off debt and rebuild the stadium though. Developers know how to deal!

I don't know where they go from here re stadium. It needs an awful lot of money spending it on and is now hamstrung in its development space by the building around it that has happened. The NRl grant increase has papered over the cracks for now but they will find it hard to keep up with other clubs playing at shark park.

ideally you would do the following.

the current dimenstions, are old, and dont fit as many people in the same space as you can do with modern stuff.
we have old bucket school seats in the ET stand etc. you can fit more people in there simply by changing the chairs etc.

knock everything down bar the southern stand. if you then rebuilt a lower bowl around 3 sides at same dimensions as what say..manly have done at that one end thats around 14000 seated seats. then you didnt have to do anything with the PB stand, could even convert where the stand is now into all corporate IMO.

then if you had a second level to the ET stand..thats another 4000 seated seats.
18k new,1500 in southern and plus grass at both ends can actually fit. in that space.

Wb1234

Referee
Desperate times call for desperate measures. At the time it seemed a good deal given the strife they were in. Problem was they kept losing millions and had to cash in the commercial retail stuff that would have given them ongoing revenue. Hindsight's a wonderful thing but if they could have foreseen the NRL grant going as high as it has they probably wouldn't have done that.
Still wouldn't have given them the $200mill plus they needed to pay off debt and rebuild the stadium though. Developers know how to deal!

I don't know where they go from here re stadium. It needs an awful lot of money spending it on and is now hamstrung in its development space by the building around it that has happened. The NRl grant increase has papered over the cracks for now but they will find it hard to keep up with other clubs playing at shark park.
Yeh they needed the money or they’d have gone broke and relocated

does anyone know if the labor party has said anything about the penrith stadium?
might not go ahaead now.
Labor were refusing to commit to it without seeing a business case which was never submitted as far as I can remember. I can’t see a new stadium with one tenant offering much of a business case unless another tenant such as an A League franchise, comes on board. A refurb could still get over the line, I guess.

Not specific but doesnt sound hopeful which is a real shame.

I wouldn’t rely on quotes from the Liberal candidate for Parramatta, Katie Mullens but I doubt it will go ahead. As you said in another post, doesn’t appear to be an election issue with the electorate.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Nothing really was except for the front line workers salaries. The main reason given was that it was time for a change after 12 years!

Wb1234

Referee
I wouldn’t rely on quotes from the Liberal candidate for Parramatta, Katie Mullens but I doubt it will go ahead. As you said in another post, doesn’t appear to be an election issue with the electorate.
Give the new govt a few months to sort out the important priorities but keeping the grand final will be an issue

800 million is a rounding error in the nsw budget

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Apparently public transport was a pretty big issue out that way with a lot of population commuting for work. Stadiums are never going to be a massive vote winner unless everything else is going pretty well.