What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
That’s because WIN and Mt Smart are half built. Finish them and they actually wouldn’t be too far off it. Sure they wo't look as pretty, but in terms of their ability to offer a good fan experience they'd be close. And if you're talking the difference between 50M and 200M there’s no comparison there either.
It’ll be a 250 or 300 million rebuild on the existing site anyway

Nows a test for Bryan Fletcher to see what kind of ceo he is

they literally spent an extra 500 million at allianz they didn’t need too

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’ll be a 250 or 300 million rebuild on the existing site anyway

Nows a test for Bryan Fletcher to see what kind of ceo he is

they literally spent an extra 500 million at allianz they didn’t need too
Yeah I agree Penrith needs a full rebuild so it really does come down to how that one can be achieved the most efficiently. But the reality might be that doing it over multiple seasons in stages is the only way to get it overt the line

Allianz was just Stuart Ayres and the SCG trust doing a massive sweetheart deal and the end result of it was we replaced a decent stadium with a slightly better one and are still stuck with Accor. Should’ve done a full rebuild of that before the SFS was touched.

beave

Coach
Townsville has 3 sides, as do several stadiums in the US. It can make sense to leave one end open or with temporary seating to allow it to be used for concerts, makes it easy to erect a stage/PA there.
So following your logic Spacey, do the Tampa Bay Bucs only have a 2 sided stadium?

F57B6251-4EC3-4732-A4F9-81466CBD085D.jpeg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So following your logic Spacey, do the Tampa Bay Bucs only have a 2 sided stadium?

View attachment 71855
No, those end stands are permanent. I’d be happy if Mt Smart was finished off that way with a single tier terrace wrapping around the south end (though I’d at least partially roof it, I don’t get why Americans seem to be so cool with getting rained/snowed on).

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah I agree Penrith needs a full rebuild so it really does come down to how that one can be achieved the most efficiently. But the reality might be that doing it over multiple seasons in stages is the only way to get it overt the line.
I hope
No, those end stands are permanent. I’d be happy if Mt Smart was finished off that way with a single tier terrace wrapping around the south end (though I’d at least partially roof it, I don’t get why Americans seem to be so cool with getting rained/snowed on).
new Auckland stadium

with the a league it’ll have four permanent tenants plus tests

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I hope

new Auckland stadium

with the a league it’ll have four permanent tenants plus tests
I’d love to see it happen but it’s a pipe dream because of local politics and infighting. Auckland needs a complete stadium revamp with at least one of the existing stadia being sold off to fund it. But there’s a bunch of sentimental and historical attachment to Eden Park and Western Springs that make that proposition very difficult.

which is why I think putting maybe 50M into sprucing up Mt Smart is a smart idea because I t’d produce an end result that’s actually pretty good and big enough to host anything bar major All Blacks tests in a true rectangular configuration.

beave

Coach
So when you say the Tvl stadium is only 3 sided, I don't understand your logic? The ends at QCB are permanent it's just a single tier.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Then who should?
Penrith and it’s supporters deserve a new stadium for the region before any other NSW based team!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So when you say the Tvl stadium is only 3 sided, I don't understand your logic? The ends at QCB are permanent it's just a single tier.
Ah my bad then- I noticed the roof only goes round three sides so I thought the uncovered north end was removable seating for a concert configuration. Looking at it more closely I realise it isn't.

beave

Coach
Ah my bad then- I noticed the roof only goes round three sides so I thought the uncovered north end was removable seating for a concert configuration. Looking at it more closely I realise it isn't.
all good mate.

This pic below displays it better than I can describe. There is a sizeable bar behind the big screen and there is a lot of standing room up behind the seats as well, there was talk of having standing room tickets for the big events as the 2nd tier doesn't block the view from the concours so you could put standing punters behind each lower bay and a couple of thousand at the north end. I was blown away the NRL didn't this for the prelim last year, even charging $20 it would have been easy money and taken the capacity up to 27-28k.

D76C1492-69F0-4F82-8CD1-79BC165C3595.gif

It's honestly a god send to have only one tier up the north end. I went to the opening night in 2020 and rd1 this year and it was pretty shit even as a fan temperature wise, having the 2nd tier on that end would make it unbearable with the lack of airflow. I follow the Cox architect that designed it on instagram and his philosophy on the design was interesting

4B47B3A9-AF8F-40AC-A64D-C0CEAF370F7C.jpeg

I get the feeling from his pics he either grew up in NQ or has spent considerable time up there so had a fairly good idea on what was needed design wise and I reckon he nailed it.

flippikat

Bench
I’d love to see it happen but it’s a pipe dream because of local politics and infighting. Auckland needs a complete stadium revamp with at least one of the existing stadia being sold off to fund it. But there’s a bunch of sentimental and historical attachment to Eden Park and Western Springs that make that proposition very difficult.

which is why I think putting maybe 50M into sprucing up Mt Smart is a smart idea because I t’d produce an end result that’s actually pretty good and big enough to host anything bar major All Blacks tests in a true rectangular configuration.
The railyards idea for an Auckland stadium showed some promise about 6 years ago - and I think this article makes a good case for it.

I was always a bit iffy about the waterfront stadium idea - not ideal with rising sea levels, and it'd occupy some nice waterfront space that could be handy open-space used for recreation instead - so finding a site inland and near Spark Arena sounds good.

Funnily enough, it's not too far from where Aucklands former "home of rugby league" Carlaw Park (RIP) was.

But yeah, in the absence of any will to do a new build, a revamp of Mount Smart may be the next best thing.

It'll be interesting to see how Christchurch's new covered stadium goes when it opens, and if it generates some envy.. and maybe even pulls events away from Auckland... that might be a driver for some serious stadium talk in Auckland.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The railyards idea for an Auckland stadium showed some promise about 6 years ago - and I think this article makes a good case for it.

I was always a bit iffy about the waterfront stadium idea - not ideal with rising sea levels, and it'd occupy some nice waterfront space that could be handy open-space used for recreation instead - so finding a site inland and near Spark Arena sounds good.

Funnily enough, it's not too far from where Aucklands former "home of rugby league" Carlaw Park (RIP) was.

But yeah, in the absence of any will to do a new build, a revamp of Mount Smart may be the next best thing.

It'll be interesting to see how Christchurch's new covered stadium goes when it opens, and if it generates some envy.. and maybe even pulls events away from Auckland... that might be a driver for some serious stadium talk in Auckland.
The extensive flood damage to Western Springs might force their hands too. Shame it wasn't Eden Park that got trashed.

I like that Quay Park proposal, though I reckon they should go 50-55K with top tiers that can be closed off for smaller events. dropping 10-15K off Eden Park's capacity is silly. BUT.... its a half billion dollar project, so unless you can sell off Eden Park and possibly another stadium too, I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
I think the issue is the weight of snow on the roof, by not having a roof, you dont have that problem

Wb1234

Referee

And so the games begin

I thought Pete would’ve waited a few weeks to let the new govt settle in before turning the blowtorch on them

And so the games begin

I thought Pete would’ve waited a few weeks to let the new govt settle in before turning the blowtorch on them

V'landys' constant media threats to take the Grand Final out of Sydney are disappointing and unproductive.

V'landys' flirtation with Melbourne as the home of the Grand Final this year is a slap in the face to fans of the game in the rugby league states.

The AFL won't take the Grand Final out of Melbourne no matter how much money is offered up, even by the other AFL states.

Latest posts