What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
Someone want to explain to Perth red who funds the country clubs these days

little hint … it used to be the crl

taipan

Referee
When asked what can be done about country clubs dying…
We don’t run country rugby league.

What a great response from the games leader. But hey its all about those yank gamblers and college football players hey?
Do you understand( then again your don't ),that country clubs in all codes are facing difficulties, with drought, floods etc.And that includes your mob,I won't mention the code.
Keep drinking the bitter lemon.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you understand( then again your don't ),that country clubs in all codes are facing difficulties, with drought, floods etc.And that includes your mob,I won't mention the code.
Keep drinking the bitter lemon.
so how about a better answer than, 'not our problem'. Or has the ARLC changed its mandate without telling us?

so how about a better answer than, 'not our problem'. Or has the ARLC changed its mandate without telling us?
It was a shit response but he did come out with this when pressed further. You just chose to discuss his first answer.

Bush footy doesn’t have time for the rivers of gold from US wagering. Clubs are dying now.

But you fund it. And it’s the lifeblood of the game.
What the NRL has done is create a body called Participation Australia. It’s going to have strategies in growing participation and the country is the main we’ll look at. I’d like Brad Fittler and Billy Slater on this board. We’ve set aside many millions of dollars to invest in this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any good psychologist will tell you the first answer is the key one. Sure when pushed he fluffed somthing up. But his first response was clearly ' not our problem'. That is his mindset.
Or he is really dumb, and he doesn't seem to be really dumb. Arithmetic skills aside.

Anyone heard of this 'Participation Australia' body before?

Canard

Immortal
It was a shit response but he did come out with this when pressed further. You just chose to discuss his first answer.

Bush footy doesn’t have time for the rivers of gold from US wagering. Clubs are dying now.

But you fund it. And it’s the lifeblood of the game.
What the NRL has done is create a body called Participation Australia. It’s going to have strategies in growing participation and the country is the main we’ll look at. I’d like Brad Fittler and Billy Slater on this board. We’ve set aside many millions of dollars to invest in this.
If its all about gambling.

Wouldn't a more sensible approach be spending some money marketing the game to the US market?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I know it's difficult for an afl pelican from Perth to understand but I'll give it a go.

The decline of adult country rugby league is happening.

But the days where the Les Boyds or Mick Cronin's of the world could walk into a 1st grade team ended, back in their era when professionalism of Sydney clubs made a huge gulf. The role of country clubs is to cater for guys who want to play league because they enjoy it, not because it's a pathway.

Junior teams in countries areas are another story, but is there any evidence that there is a catastrophic decline there? If there is that’s when we worry.

The goose at fault here is the journalist who asked the stupid, ill informed question.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Any good psychologist will tell you the first answer is the key one. Sure when pushed he fluffed somthing up. But his first response was clearly ' not our problem'. That is his mindset.
Or he is really dumb, and he doesn't seem to be really dumb. Arithmetic skills aside.

Anyone heard of this 'Participation Australia' body before?
Legal expert
Financial expert
Sports administration guru
Political expert
Marketing guru
Historian
Psychologist

Is there anything you're not an expert in? 🙄

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know it's difficult for an afl pelican from Perth to understand but I'll give it a go.

The decline of adult country rugby league is happening.

But the days where the Les Boyds or Mick Cronin's of the world could walk into a 1st grade team ended, back in their era when professionalism of Sydney clubs made a huge gulf. The role of country clubs is to cater for guys who want to play league because they enjoy it, not because it's a pathway.

Junior teams in countries areas are another story, but is there any evidence that there is a catastrophic decline there? If there is that’s when we worry.

The goose at fault here is the journalist who asked the stupid, ill informed question.
The NRL would have the stats on player registrations and club numbers. If there wasnt a problem wouldnt he have said so?

NRl has cut $43million from grassroots funding in last two years. I dont suppose that has made it any easier to run clubs than this article in 2017.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The NRL would have the stats on player registrations and club numbers. If there wasnt a problem wouldnt he have said so?

NRl has cut $43million from grassroots funding in last two years. I dont suppose that has made it any easier to run clubs than this article in 2017.

So what do you propose?

Tell the NRL players we're paying you less and see them head off to other sports?

Pay volunteers?

Force kids to play?

I don't think you have any idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd not divert $43million away from grass roots for starters.
Did clubs really need an extra $85mill a year? Is the game any better for players earning $2mill a year more? When the games announcing $104mill surplus is reducing grassroots by $43mill really a good thing?
I think I have an idea, I just don't think you like it.
Reducing costs for kids and adults to play the game, supporting clubs to have better facilities, yes giving something back to volunteers to make them feel valued, marketing of the game and local clubs, better schools program's, more DO's, and so it goes on. There's a heap of stuff the ARLC could be supporting grassroots with better, cutting its funding is the last thing we should be doing.

Pneuma

First Grade
Just fudge the participation numbers and I assume he’ll believe it will all his heart. That what his preferred code does.
If the bloody dope did any research he’d know NSW, QLD and Victorian participation numbers are up this year already. I’ve posted the links ffs. Instead he sits in Perth on his fat ass knowing everything.

taipan

Referee
So you ignore the fact other codes don't have country club issues, colour me surprised.How about you stop looking through another code's glasses all the time. And when you draw comparisons match apple for apple.
NSWRL looks after the bush at last reports ,and why does the NRL play games in the bush and regional if not to assist.
I'm not suggesting things are rosy in the bush. Senior numbers are down for many reasons ,howabout one example people cannot afford to lose days off work for a game of footy under todays economy.

This country is not England where you can fit 20 whatever Englands into Australia.Else the cost of flying to Perth would be chicken sh*t.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd not divert $43million away from grass roots for starters.
Did clubs really need an extra $85mill a year? Is the game any better for players earning $2mill a year more? When the games announcing $104mill surplus is reducing grassroots by $43mill really a good thing?
I think I have an idea, I just don't think you like it.
Reducing costs for kids and adults to play the game, supporting clubs to have better facilities, yes giving something back to volunteers to make them feel valued, marketing of the game and local clubs, better schools program's, more DO's, and so it goes on. There's a heap of stuff the ARLC could be supporting grassroots with better, cutting its funding is the last thing we should be doing.
Can I suggest that because you are such an expert you apply for the job of NRL CEO next time it comes up.

It's very easy to sit 4000 km away and come up with pie in the sky ideas on a keyboard. You've got no idea what goes on in the NRL, junior or country rugby league so stop pretending you're an expert because you're not fooling anyone. Rather, what you propose just makes you look more clueless

Canard

Immortal
I think its a bit rich to sit here and pretend that League participation and Country footy is all rosy and this question was unwarranted.

More concerning was the response of "Its not my problem"