What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Pneuma

First Grade
I think its a bit rich to sit here and pretend that League participation and Country footy is all rosy and this question was unwarranted.

More concerning was the response of "Its not my problem"
I thought the response was interesting as well. Apart from that it’s pretty well known what Covid has done to any number of sports. Anecdotally, Vic rugby league really struggled with volunteers last year because so many of them were being offered extra shifts due to staff shortages and the game is very blue collar. Post Covid people needed cash so some comps started very slowly. There is no doubt there has been a pick up this year though. Being the lunatic I am I’ve actually counted the number of teams in Brisbane compared to last year and there is already a 10% increase. The qrl reports the same. I’ve also picked up increased teams across Sydney which the nswrl is also reporting. Sitting in a chair as old mate does in Perth and judging the landscape based on occasional negative media reports is one thing. The data is actually out there if you want to find it for yourself. Cronulla is the market leader for diversifying its player base through focussing on tag at all age groups and women’s footy as well. It’s the model for the future. I’ve no doubt PVL and Abdo know it.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think its a bit rich to sit here and pretend that League participation and Country footy is all rosy and this question was unwarranted.

More concerning was the response of "Its not my problem"
No one said its rosy. But Perth Red has got no idea and his solutions look great on a napkin after a few beers with his pot plants but they're just a lot of cliche junk.

Agree V'landys needs to be less flippant with some of his remarks though when talking to journalists.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the contents of this article. But it is funny how V'landys' mere mention of such topics sends AFL supporters on this forum into raptures:

NRL expansion investigating second Victorian team to rival Storm

The search for an 18th expansion team has taken a dramatic turn, with Peter V’landys declaring the NRL is “100 per cent” investigating a team that will rival the top contenders.

ARL commission chairman Peter V’landys has confirmed the NRL are ready and willing to investigate a second team in Victoria to rival the Melbourne Storm.

With a master plan to expand the current 17-team NRL competition to 20-teams by 2032, V’landys said the code was “100 per cent” adding the possible inclusion of an historic second NRL team in Victoria to their upcoming expansion charter.

The shock development will frustrate the Storm, who have little interest in competing against another rugby league team inside an AFL-centric market.

However, V’landys pointed to several contributing factors as to why the game wants to investigate another team in Victoria.

Surprisingly, attacking the AFL in their heartland wasn’t one of them.

Instead, V’landys said the return in value from the creation of a new rivalry for the Storm, as shown by record TV ratings and crowds in Queensland as a result of the arrival of the NRL’s newest franchise The Dolphins, was impossible to ignore.

He added that there was a rising number of junior participants in Victoria, who were supported by a large pacific island community.

Victoria’s sport-loving culture and state-of-the-art stadiums and facilities also leant towards investigating a second team in Victoria.

The ARL Commission will meet next week for a crucial game-wide strategy conference and the expansion of the competition, potentially to Victoria, will be high on the agenda.

A Perth franchise, a second New Zealand team and a Pacific island team that could play out of Papua New Guinea have all been mooted as likely expansion locations for the NRL.

The North Sydney Bears have also begun campaigning the NRL for their return to the competition by 2025.

The inclusion of a Pacifika team could rest with how much level of funding the government is willing to invest in supporting the bid.

The NRL have watched closely Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s decision to reportedly help fund a multipurpose stadium in Hobart, which would fulfil the AFL’s requirements for a 19th team in Tasmania.

However, V’landys has put Victoria on the expansion proposal list after being asked by The Saturday Telegraph if a new rivalry in Melbourne was on the Commission’s agenda.

“Absolutely, 100 per cent. You would have to be mad not to look at it,” V’landys said.

Pneuma

First Grade
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the contents of this article. But it is funny how V'landys' mere mention of such topics sends AFL supporters on this forum into raptures:

NRL expansion investigating second Victorian team to rival Storm

The search for an 18th expansion team has taken a dramatic turn, with Peter V’landys declaring the NRL is “100 per cent” investigating a team that will rival the top contenders.

ARL commission chairman Peter V’landys has confirmed the NRL are ready and willing to investigate a second team in Victoria to rival the Melbourne Storm.

With a master plan to expand the current 17-team NRL competition to 20-teams by 2032, V’landys said the code was “100 per cent” adding the possible inclusion of an historic second NRL team in Victoria to their upcoming expansion charter.

The shock development will frustrate the Storm, who have little interest in competing against another rugby league team inside an AFL-centric market.

However, V’landys pointed to several contributing factors as to why the game wants to investigate another team in Victoria.

Surprisingly, attacking the AFL in their heartland wasn’t one of them.

Instead, V’landys said the return in value from the creation of a new rivalry for the Storm, as shown by record TV ratings and crowds in Queensland as a result of the arrival of the NRL’s newest franchise The Dolphins, was impossible to ignore.

He added that there was a rising number of junior participants in Victoria, who were supported by a large pacific island community.

Victoria’s sport-loving culture and state-of-the-art stadiums and facilities also leant towards investigating a second team in Victoria.

The ARL Commission will meet next week for a crucial game-wide strategy conference and the expansion of the competition, potentially to Victoria, will be high on the agenda.

A Perth franchise, a second New Zealand team and a Pacific island team that could play out of Papua New Guinea have all been mooted as likely expansion locations for the NRL.

The North Sydney Bears have also begun campaigning the NRL for their return to the competition by 2025.

The inclusion of a Pacifika team could rest with how much level of funding the government is willing to invest in supporting the bid.

The NRL have watched closely Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s decision to reportedly help fund a multipurpose stadium in Hobart, which would fulfil the AFL’s requirements for a 19th team in Tasmania.

However, V’landys has put Victoria on the expansion proposal list after being asked by The Saturday Telegraph if a new rivalry in Melbourne was on the Commission’s agenda.

“Absolutely, 100 per cent. You would have to be mad not to look at it,” V’landys said.

Nice work mate. Some of the anti PVL criticism here is deserved but there is no doubt that despite his faults he’s looking at the long term future of the game with an open mind. I like him. Street smart and annoys the right people.

taipan

Referee
He is Chairman of the ARLC , he throws up ideas as no doubt do others on the board ,they take on board recommendations,Govt input, new club offerings.In the end the Commission decides and he at times can be the deciding vote.
Nothing wrong with looking at Vic 2 ,he'd be mad not to look at all possibilities.But they have got to get it right for the 18th, because that will also impact the next TV deal.
The 19th & 20th they have plenty of time to do their homework.
He has to leave the game with a decent legacy, he cannot afford a stuff up.He has made mistakes ,as he has done some good things.He needs to show a little less sh*t stirring , but certainly not cow tail to the opposition.
He needs to screw politicians in view of the Tassie largesse and the A League G/F in Sydney loot.

Steel Saints

Juniors
The NRL would have ideas, suggestions on how to grow and expand the game. One way to put the ideas out in the public domain is to talk to a journo in an interview. They will suggest a possible 2nd Melbourne team in an interview , and then they will hear feedback/ reaction from us. It would also get a reaction from current players too, and potential bidders.

Which is good practice because the governing body is not blindsiding the fans, players or anyone else. An example, we all know about Vegas, and yet nothing is official or confirmed about games in the USA.

Whereas you look at the A League, they awarded the GF's to Sydney, without talking about it in the media about the possibility of fixed GF's in Sydney. And the reaction wasn't a positive one from soccer/football fans.

Wb1234

Referee
I know it's difficult for an afl pelican from Perth to understand but I'll give it a go.

The decline of adult country rugby league is happening.

But the days where the Les Boyds or Mick Cronin's of the world could walk into a 1st grade team ended, back in their era when professionalism of Sydney clubs made a huge gulf. The role of country clubs is to cater for guys who want to play league because they enjoy it, not because it's a pathway.

Junior teams in countries areas are another story, but is there any evidence that there is a catastrophic decline there? If there is that’s when we worry.

The goose at fault here is the journalist who asked the stupid, ill informed question.
Webster hates vlandys except when he gets invited to a race day at Randwick, gets on the turps and says good things about him

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Webster hates vlandys except when he gets invited to a race day at Randwick, gets on the turps and says good things about him
Webster hates League in general and he never fails to take a swipe at League in the Herald much like his wanker pretentious mate ftzsmmns. Even when he says something nice there`s always a big but, he`s such a whining nonce.
I suspect that with League being such a macho game, and there`s no denying that (unlike our idiot wannabee mates at fumbleball) and there is an undercurrent of homophobia in the game, there`s probably bound to be given where we draw most of our fans and players from, it`s a very socially conservative base. Webster has felt the brunt of that and hence his probably love hate relationship with League.
V`landy`s giving him an interview I immediately thought is V`landy`s way of getting him to ease up a little with the negativity. It`s harder to bag someone something out relentlessly if they`ve been nice to you. Sensible move I thought by V`landy`s.

moffla

Bench
Second Vic team is an interesting one. If that stadium in Dandenong got the go ahead when A-league expansion was happening, I’d have said that’s where to place them if anywhere.

For now, I think it works best as a one team town though.

Fangs

Coach
He’s literally telling expansion clubs if you don’t bring big $$$ and government support to the table you’ll miss out.

I think so too.

I don't think a second Melbourne team will be a serious discussion. More like a warning to the current bids that this is a real competition for team 18.

Wb1234

Referee
Webster hates League in general and he never fails to take a swipe at League in the Herald much like his wanker pretentious mate ftzsmmns. Even when he says something nice there`s always a big but, he`s such a whining nonce.
I suspect that with League being such a macho game, and there`s no denying that (unlike our idiot wannabee mates at fumbleball) and there is an undercurrent of homophobia in the game, there`s probably bound to be given where we draw most of our fans and players from, it`s a very socially conservative base. Webster has felt the brunt of that and hence his probably love hate relationship with League.
V`landy`s giving him an interview I immediately thought is V`landy`s way of getting him to ease up a little with the negativity. It`s harder to bag someone something out relentlessly if they`ve been nice to you. Sensible move I thought by V`landy`s.
He’s a union fan he says as much

also the dragons too

I don’t mind him he’s not a bad journo I think he likes rugby league

brad Walter was the best journo but the nrl got him to work for them which was a shame

Fangs

Coach
I just want a Perth team so we can have a real super Saturday:

Warriors 12.00pm
Sydney 2.00pm
Sydney 4.00pm
Melbourne 6.00pm
Brisbane 8.00pm
Perth 10.00pm

We could rival the 12 hour at Bathurst.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Nah, Im busy.

Id suggest my ideas will have greater impact than a board with Fittler and Slater on it!
Fittler has a charisma to him that attracts people, so polar opposite to you.

Slater reminds me of a used car salesman, slimy, sly, willing to say or do anything to get ahead. So he'll go very far.

Plus unless you're coaching a state of origin side no one else knows about, or have played for Australia under a pseudonym than they're both a billion times more qualified than you.

Pneuma

First Grade
Fittler has a charisma to him that attracts people, so polar opposite to you.

Slater reminds me of a used car salesman, slimy, sly, willing to say or do anything to get ahead. So he'll go very far.

Plus unless you're coaching a state of origin side no one else knows about, or have played for Australia under a pseudonym than they're both a billion times more qualified than you.
He really is a big wanker.