What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

MugaB

Coach
Commbank would also draw more away fans though when playing other sydney clubs than Penrith does, that would boost crowds (an opportunity badly missed in Sydney imo). Apart from this purple patch Penrith have traditionally only avgd 10-14k.
Hypocrisy at its finest....
Away fans dont count remember?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hypocrisy at its finest....
Away fans dont count remember?
eh? They dont in the context of measuring a clubs home fanbase lol. In the context of maximizing crowds and stadium usage they certainly do. Why Sydney doesnt leverage off one of the few advantages of having an oversaturated market I dont know.

MugaB

Coach
eh? They dont in the context of measuring a clubs home fanbase lol. In the context of maximizing crowds and stadium usage they certainly do. Why Sydney doesnt leverage off one of the few advantages of having an oversaturated market I dont know.
"When two tribes go to war"

Ask both your HULLs why

Perth Red

Post Whore
"When two tribes go to war"

Ask both your HULLs why
Makes sense if you've got two fanbases in close enough proximity they can both attend a game that you'd do everything you can to attract them both to it. Sadly we rarely see it in Sydney. When we do we get the 30k plus crowds. When we dont we still only get the 14-18k crowds. A fan engagement strategy that got both sets of supporters when Sydney clubs play each other would be a no brainer I would have thought?

MugaB

Coach
Makes sense if you've got two fanbases in close enough proximity they can both attend a game that you'd do everything you can to attract them both to it. Sadly we rarely see it in Sydney. When we do we get the 30k plus crowds. When we dont we still only get the 14-18k crowds. A fan engagement strategy that got both sets of supporters when Sydney clubs play each other would be a no brainer I would have thought?
Travel is a factor, the traffic here is terrible, there has been some sell outs for parra vs penrith, also sheduling too plays a big part.. plus the whole divying up 9 factons on one widespread city, not all fans are living in those spots too, some are generational and carry on the flame of there fathers out west.. or move to the country.. sydney isn't as affordable as it once was, the folk who have the extra coin to spend are those who are turning up, the rest are rushing home only just to catch it on the TV

Wb1234

Referee
I get all that, and like I said it matters not to me where they play. Just saying you can see why there are question marks over the validity of spending $300mill of tax payers money on a stadium that will rarely get used when one has already been built not very far away.
For the record I hope it gets built, I hope Brookie gets rebuilt, WIN gets a new stand, Shark PArk is transformed etc. The more quality stadiums in use in NRL the better.
That’s the goal

Nrl has to be hardarses and stop letting nimbys and Peter Fitzsimmons set the discourse
yeh everyone gets a new stadium! It’s the Sydney way.
that will end up the result just watch

dogs will get a new ground. Gong will get its last stand done. Brookie will get done and Campbeltown will get done

it’s only a matter of time

Wb1234

Referee
Commbank would also draw more away fans though when playing other sydney clubs than Penrith does, that would boost crowds (an opportunity badly missed in Sydney imo). Apart from this purple patch Penrith have traditionally only avgd 10-14k.
Have you seen the crowds the tigers get at parramatta home ground

MugaB

Coach
That’s the goal

Nrl has to be hardarses and stop letting nimbys and Peter Fitzsimmons set the discourse

that will end up the result just watch

dogs will get a new ground. Gong will get its last stand done. Brookie will get done and Campbeltown will get done

it’s only a matter of time
I doubt campbelltown get shìt... tigers dont even want to be there... at least the dragons play and train in Illawarra...
The rest im happy for to happen, bulldogs wont get a ground so long as homebush exists

westerntiger

Juniors
Campbelltown has been the “next big thing” for nearly 30 years

will be the size of Canberra soon. Still feels like fields to me

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have you seen the crowds the tigers get at parramatta home ground
Cant blame the fans, how the hell do you know where you're supposed to turn up for a tigers game that weekend? They've got 12 home games and playing at 7 different venues this year!

Generally Commbank games avg more than Campbelltown. If Tigers actually scheduled the right games at right time at commbank they'd be much much bigger crowds there. Games v Penrith, Eels, Bulldogs and Souths should be at Commbank in good spots every year. This needs to be part of the fan engagement strategy the NRL and clubs need to get their sht together on.

MugaB

Coach
Cant blame the fans, how the hell do you know where you're supposed to turn up for a tigers game that weekend? They've got 12 home games and playing at 7 different venues this year!

Generally Commbank games avg more than Campbelltown. If Tigers actually scheduled the right games at right time at commbank they'd be much much bigger crowds there. Games v Penrith, Eels, Bulldogs and Souths should be at Commbank in good spots every year. This needs to be part of the fan engagement strategy the NRL and clubs need to get their sht together on.
Not sure about souths... but yeah the others aren't too bad...personally i feel homebush suits the tigers better their coe is litterally next door, at concord..
And is easier to get to than Parramatta for those coming from either way (campbelltown or Balmain)
Most tiers fans are around the inner west and liverpool areas so this is right between both..
Maybewhen souths move back to the SFS then tigers can return to homebush

I don't think comparing the situation in Qld, or the ACT is comparable with Sydney stadiums to be honest. Only reason is that none of the major cities in those locales have as many stadiums in one city used for professional sport, especially rugby league, as Sydney does.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee

Maybe the tigers should play their home games at caravan park instead

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
If Penrith was part of the metro west line then it wouldn’t need a new stadium. But alas without it the area is too far away from necessary stadium infrastructure for a growing regional area. Ergo why a new stadium is being built.

West - Central - East

It’s not rocket science lmao.

Canard

Immortal
Is a new stadium being built?

I haven't seen one official source confirming this.

It would seem political suicide in the current state of the world.

Bulldog2020

Juniors
It's not realistic to think that Sydney only needs three stadiums.

Assuming Souths go back to Allianz. It makes early in the season very congested with Roosters, Waratahs & Sydney FC games. Plus trying to avoid having games at the same time as the Swans are playing.

CommBank could probably host one more Team, but I think the governments preference would be for the Bulldogs to stay at Homebush. And the Tigers aren't interested.

Latest posts