What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels game

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I hear the criticism of the ref and I don’t disagree but we put ourselves in a position to win that game, had a team worried for once, but we still found a way to crumble all on our own.

Disappointing and the spoon still a strong possibility.
crumble we may well do but taking that try off Amone for a 'loose carry' when it was a strip all day was a clear message from the NRL that we are not permitted to win another game in 2023. Carr is to be punished for speaking hard truth.

TruSaint

Referee
That’s a shame the gutho strip was a 50/50 call which went against us. If it was a regular hit up I think they call it straight away. Liddle should have held onto it. It is what it is. Being at the bottom certainly doesn’t help with calls like that.

I think this is fair.

Hate blaming refs but if we were the ones fighting for the semis, that call goes our way. I will say that overall I think we deserved the win.

Hunt had some great moments, but again when it mattered he was lost. Just watch his body language ( hands on hips looking at teammates ), when Parra scored to equalise.

Winning and losing is a habit.

Anyway, I though Lawrie was great today. Has the build on a 70's player but dug out long minutes, great hit ups and was a leader.

Gutted.

Draginzaaar

Bench
1 penalty for inside the 10 all game. Goes against the Dragons when Parra need a helping hand being down 20-10. Parra conceded only 2 penalties all game. Just saying…
Inside the 10 are 6 again's unless in the 40 metres.

Phantom V

Juniors
mate the dragons are f**king useless. Don’t blame the refs for that implosion. Same shit different week.
Gotta disagree mate. I thought that was actually one of our best games of the year. Aimed up defensively and our forwards were very good today. Backs gave the ball some air, although I thought Hunt was clunky at times. As most have said, refs calls went against us at crucial times and we should have gotten more 6 agains a number of times as well. Proud of the effort today!

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Can someone help me with the stripping rule? I've only been watching and playing rugby League for about 45 years.

If a defender puts their hand on the ball and the motion of the tackle drags the ball out from the attackers grip, then that's a strip!
But Gutherson was 'only affecting a tackle', a laughable interpretation considering it was a desperate last attempt to stop from going 26 - 10 down. The motion was a strip, the context was a strip, but the ref's instinctive call was a loose carry. Would not have happened if the referee had to answer to Craig Bellamy or Wayne Bennett.

Phantom V

Juniors
I think this is fair.

Hate blaming refs but if we were the ones fighting for the semis, that call goes our way. I will say that overall I think we deserved the win.

Hunt had some great moments, but again when it mattered he was lost. Just watch his body language ( hands on hips looking at teammates ), when Parra scored to equalise.

Winning and losing is a habit.

Anyway, I though Lawrie was great today. Has the build on a 70's player but dug out long minutes, great hit ups and was a leader.

Gutted.
Lawrie was outstanding today. Best game I’ve seen from him IMHO

Gareth67

First Grade
What a tremendous effort put in by our lads ! Well done gents , plenty of enthusiasm and commitment shown .

A 4 try special for Rava , the bloke just loves scoring tries , enjoyed the way he shoves Gutherson off as he went over to score .

The bones are there for Flanagan to make a new beginning for the Big Red V , only need a few quality newbies to ensure that the Dragons breath fire next season .

Jim Dragons

Juniors
That’s a shame the gutho strip was a 50/50 call which went against us. If it was a regular hit up I think they call it straight away. Liddle should have held onto it. It is what it is. Being at the bottom certainly doesn’t help with calls like that.
l thought it was more than 50/50 but understand there was some doubt for the ref... but for the bunker I don't see any doubt... gutho deliberately placed his hand on the point of the ball; his hand/wrist was hooked and his hand finished down towards the ground. Very difficult for Liddle to hold the ball in that situation. We were going to score the try if not for the action so I thought the ref could have gone up try. Had the ref gone up try I am sure it would have stayed try.
As for the Moses dive... why is the bunker rewarding players diving - it should be clear that the player was taken out AND it effected the play.
But parra are pushing for a semi's birth and we were clearly their equal today. So positive signs and move on.

We are becoming past masters at running out of puff at the pointy end of games. Infuriating. Even without our workhorse Jack de Belin we were still in the contest until the 60th min when their superior condition told and they overran us.
Dan Lawson has returned as our Hi Performance Manager so expect our fitness and condition to get a real lift. He had us performing to optimum fitness back in 2010 when we won our last premiership, yet we let him go?
Wonder if he has this in mind, slaving our players by running them up Cronulla sand dunes like back in our golden years.
1691304726437.jpeg
The man leading the charge in this 60s pic is legendary fitness guru of the day Percy Cerutty

Last edited:

jeffdragon

Bench
We deserved better.

The refereeing was abysmal.

Gutherson clearly stripped Liddle of the ball, Amone scores.

Molo HIA at the beginning of the game was also critical.

Bird should not play another NRL game. Has no place in the 17.

Michael Molo play the ball error and Hunt failing to kick on the last tackle gave Parra the field position to win the game.

Hunt is not a top class 7.

when Liddle first came to STGI,I was worried he was made of glass. He has been durable and one of the few bright spots of 2023.
Didn't Slater in a origin match attempt a kick and it came off his knee play on? Hunt's came off his knee and Parra knocked on.

matPORTS

Juniors
Went into Parramatta today - expecting to be mighty disappointed. But instead we gave them an almighty scare.

My Eels supporting mates wanted 20+. Right from the outset they were no chance. In the end the only thing that got them home was our poor fitness and, what I'm sure we all thought, was a lucky call on the Gutherson no strip (they would have never come back from that).

I wish our entire playing group (everyone from the 30 man squad through to the lower grades) an enjoyable rest of the season through to October end - because I'm sure Flanno has his cattle prod fully charged up and ready to go come 1st November (I'm especially looking at Jack Bird).

Latest posts