What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
You're also the person who suggested 6am games would average more than the biggest league in the world.

I said nothing of the sort.

What I did say is playing games late US time after a big Baseball game for example. COULD generate some viewers due to people staying on the channel.

Hence why the push is for games being played on Fox Sports 1.

Getting 0.01% of the population over there is nothing but adds 300k viewers.

That is what is in it for the game. Very very small numbers over there looks huge for us due to population here

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
I said nothing of the sort.

Right here

They have more of a history of late night viewing over there. Even still say RL gets 0.1% of the population watching that is 500k.

That is 50% of the what the game pulls here, That is the aim of this USA push. A tiny USA audience is huge numbers given our population.

I don't see anyone here claiming the 340m US population will all start watching though.

The EPL has averaged over 500k 3 times.

Person 1 makes an unrealistic claim
Person 2 says it's unrealistic
You criticise person 2

How exactly is it a massive leap to imply that you support person 1?
Person 1 makes claim - however outrageous but does at least come off the back of positive media reports and all led by a man with a proven track record in gambling success.

Person 2 says it’s unrealistic but also says it’s stupid, deluded but their strongest argument for the negativity is, it didn’t work for the AFL in China. Not saying this is you btw.

Me. Well what can I say of person 1’s claim, I can’t disprove it. I’ll wait and see. Person 2, I say, do better. I don’t think the pro Vegas posters on here are getting encouragement off the back of my posts but thank you for holding me in such high regard

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Clubs will kill the Vegas experiment quickly, especially after the initial excitement dies down.

Kicking off your season with a 40hrs+ is flying isn't going to cut it

Wb1234

Referee
Pvl needs to take some advice off the various randoms on here that know more about the us gaming market than he has got from years In the horse racing industry

Clubs will kill the Vegas experiment quickly, especially after the initial excitement dies down.

Kicking off your season with a 40hrs+ is flying isn't going to cut it
Isn’t there a 2 week gap between round 1 and 2? You’re probably right though. Aussie clubs coming back from the WCC often struggle to find their feet. Just have to wait and see how the four clubs going come out of it.

Wb1234

Referee
Isn’t there a 2 week gap between round 1 and 2? You’re probably right though. Aussie clubs coming back from the CC often struggle to find their feet. Just have to wait and see how the four clubs going come out of it.
The clubs involved in Vegas are all playing each other in the early rounds to mitigate the travel involved

all these negative nellies think they know better than the arlc

Banger

Juniors
It’s weird there are people on this forum that want to see the Vegas thing fail

Some rugby league fans we have following this sport of ours
I think it’s a dumb idea.
Motivated by gambling income alone.
I don’t want it to fail. But I’d rather the NRL spend that money on taking the game to Australian country regions. Like. You know. The people that have got the sport to where it is today.

Colk

First Grade
There's two contentious debates going on right now. NRL going to Las Vegas and PNG possibly becoming the 18th team.

My firm view is that Perth should be team 18. There's too many hurdles for PNG to overcome, even if it gets government money. For example, how are they going to compete on the field? How many home grounds will PNG have? Travel etc.

With Las Vegas, I am more open minded. Let's see how it goes. Kinda hoping that something else pops up in the Las Vegas/ American venture that is more beneficial to the game then getting a piece of the gambling market. Betting on sports is a mugs game. However, PVL does have experience in this space (gambling market), so let's see what transpires.

100% with everything you have said.

I don’t think we will get hundreds of millions but if we make a profit from this then that’s a positive

Wb1234

Referee
I think it’s a dumb idea.
Motivated by gambling income alone.
I don’t want it to fail. But I’d rather the NRL spend that money on taking the game to Australian country regions. Like. You know. The people that have got the sport to where it is today.
The event will probably make money so it won’t cost the nrl a cent

all air fares are being paid by the airline sponsor

Iamback

Coach
100% with everything you have said.

I don’t think we will get hundreds of millions but if we make a profit from this then that’s a positive

seems like they are playing the long game, which is unlike RL.

UFC is one sport who fans should cross over, They are often on a Sunday before the 2pm game.

That is the one game that should get decent exposure off the back of.... Translating that exposure into meaningful money is harder part from it

Latest posts