What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A lot of players get above themselves and somehow forget about all the club people, volunteers and thousands of parents underneath supporting the game.

A player’s individual success is also the product of many peoples efforts over a number of years. Not just their own effort and natural talent.

I think most players understand this, but not all.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Ben plays Origin then Saints may be ok as the draw is pretty kind to the Dragons. Saints overall have a pretty good draw for 2024.

SOO Game 1 - 16/5 - Saints have Bye after SOO game 1 and play Souths before game 1. I am assuming if all players selected will miss the round before game 1 as it is played between 9/5 - 12/5. Souths will have a few out so it does not impact Saints too much if Hunt is picked.

SOO Game 2 - 6/6 - Saints play Penrith round before so Penrith will be impacted which is good. The round after SOO Saints play Tigers on the Friday. Hopefully Ben can back up. If there is 1 game Saints need to win it is that one. They can't lose to the Tigers.

SOO Game 3 - Round before is a bye for Saints. After Game 3 it is the Dolphins at Kogarah. Another must win game. Luckily it is played on the Sunday so Ben can get some rest and I am sure will feature if not carrying any injury.

Dragon David

First Grade
If Ben plays Origin then Saints may be ok as the draw is pretty kind to the Dragons. Saints overall have a pretty good draw for 2024.

SOO Game 1 - 16/5 - Saints have Bye after SOO game 1 and play Souths before game 1. I am assuming if all players selected will miss the round before game 1 as it is played between 9/5 - 12/5. Souths will have a few out so it does not impact Saints too much if Hunt is picked.

SOO Game 2 - 6/6 - Saints play Penrith round before so Penrith will be impacted which is good. The round after SOO Saints play Tigers on the Friday. Hopefully Ben can back up. If there is 1 game Saints need to win it is that one. They can't lose to the Tigers.

SOO Game 3 - Round before is a bye for Saints. After Game 3 it is the Dolphins at Kogarah. Another must win game. Luckily it is played on the Sunday so Ben can get some rest and I am sure will feature if not carrying any injury.
Good summary Slippery, Cheers!

Gomarchin

Juniors
I think Ben will become a better player under Flanno and he has realised that. He will get to the next level I hope.

At 33 or 34, it would be good if he retires from rep footy to concentrate on the Dragons but I doubt that will happen. He seems to enjoy playing for Qld far to much. But Qld will need to eventually replace DCE and Hunt so may be looking to take those steps this year.
Agree - he should do what Cam Smith did and retire from rep football and focus on winning a premiership (or at the very least making the finals). :)

I know it won't happen but it will put to bed the 'Hunt wants out, not happy with club etc etc.'

blue bags

First Grade
Yeah I read this too when it came out as well.

He says he regrets how it was handled, and if he could turn back time he would.

So wishy washy, virtue signaling and cowardly in his expression.

What he should have done is fully apologise for running the club down in the way he did to anyone who would listen.

It was disgusting, ungrateful, humiliating and embarrassing to every SGI fan and member. Even us Tiger fans were sickened by his selfish arrogant ramblings.

Then he finds out the club is not going to surrender and release him and all of a suddenly, low and behold, he’s Flanno all the way.

And he’s in joyful raptures about the Flanno 80 minute requirement, which when you think about it, is a concession by him that this wasn’t a feature under previous coaches ( his old hero’s).

My theory is that Flanno, Webby and the board, toughened up, showed some courage and told him to suck eggs (on his contract) and denied him his wishes.

He’s a leach and a coward for not apologising directly, not taking responsibility and for stealing precious DNA from SGI by running it down.

He’s not playing for SGI, he’s only pretending to play for SGI. Little creep.
I heard on the radio. That the Bulldog's goulie was trying really hard to get Ben Last year
It kind of makes sense. Cause Ben lives very close to Belmore. Closer to Belmore than woolongong . It wasn't a Queensland club
It was the fffi goulie at the bulldog's
Bulldog's desperate attempt to snare a halfback
WOW 😮

thebigredv

First Grade
If Flanagan continues to play as freely as he did last match and our forwards keep rolling forward then Hunt will be able to put all this wantaway stuff behind. It genuinely looks to me like he just wants to be around good players and who here doesn’t want the same?

He played so well against the Titans. Did those clever little things he does so well and the reason he’s paid the way he is.

let’s hope all this can be put to bed for now at least.

Mojo

Bench
If Flanagan continues to play as freely as he did last match and our forwards keep rolling forward then Hunt will be able to put all this wantaway stuff behind. It genuinely looks to me like he just wants to be around good players and who here doesn’t want the same?

He played so well against the Titans. Did those clever little things he does so well and the reason he’s paid the way he is.

let’s hope all this can be put to bed for now at least.
Ben is a 5/8 through and through. He’s much more effective as a second receiver. I hope he varies his ball playing a little more so that the short ball to forward at the defensive line becomes less predictable.

I heard on the radio. That the Bulldog's goulie was trying really hard to get Ben Last year
It kind of makes sense. Cause Ben lives very close to Belmore. Closer to Belmore than woolongong . It wasn't a Queensland club
It was the fffi goulie at the bulldog's
Bulldog's desperate attempt to snare a halfback
WOW 😮
It wouldn’t surprise me.

He was telling anyone who would listen that WT was bad for ciraldo, so he declines a massive offer.

Then low and behold ciraldo turns up at Belmore.

Gus departure from Penrith, still shrouded in mystery. His praise of Ivan’s miraculous accomplishments, more muted than it could be.

Do people trust him?

Bunt has lost me I’m afraid. He can play footy but I don’t have to like him.

There’s no coming back for him on the personal front.

Last edited:

Draginzaaar

Bench
It wouldn’t surprise me.

He was telling anyone who would listen that WT was bad for ciraldo, so he declines a massive offer.

Then low and behold ciraldo turns up at Belmore.

Gus departure from Penrith, still shrouded in mystery. His praise of Ivan’s miraculous accomplishments, more muted than it could be.

Do people trust him?

Bunt has lost me I’m afraid. He can play footy but I don’t have to like him.

There’s no coming back for him on the personal front.
Because he complained about the club and the BOD as we do on here all the time?

justadragon

Bench
Glad Hunt did complain; it led to important changes
Hunt also didnt want Hook to get punted and continue on the same path we were on, which would have led us where ? There were better ways for Hunt to voice his concerns and as club captain it was a shameful display, regardless of the BOD or club management. He himself has acknowledged that and I'm hoping that all parties will just move on now and focus on what really is important, that the Dragons become a force rather than a farce once again.

TheRev

First Grade
Harry Grant is a sure thing for QLD.. I think as the years roll on, the qld selectors are more and more confident in him doing big minutes... whether Hunt is on the bench... I think it depends on Ponga's fitness...

That said any injuries and Hunt is getting the call-up, but its not the 100% selection it used to be, or perhaps this ends up being his final year.. we shall see.. I reckon they would still like his experience in camp regardless..

TheRev

First Grade
100% I know Hunt made some mistakes, and one of those was backing Hook so hard during 2023... but all of a sudden board members, ceo and everybody was on "full alert", lost nearly every game in the season, no coach really wanting to come, completel unable to recruit players.... and your only marquee is threatening to walk out the door, plus you are in the media every 2nd day.... thats serious f***ing panic stations for the backroom boys who can usually hide out drinking their crownies and patting their mates on the back...

I dont think without it we would have gone for someone like Flanno.. we wouldnt have handed over the reigns.. it would have been Young, Hornby etc.

We had to get to rock bottom.

Latest posts