What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Canard

Immortal
Quite a few posts on social media with that incredible Coates try from last night.

Almost all of them have been bombarded with ignorant Americans saying, that's nothing, NFL players do it all the time etc etc.

Good little reality check on how parochial they are, and how unwilling to acknowledge any athletic feat that's not local.

Wb1234

Referee
Telegraph is reporting that 1,749 new WatchNRL accounts have been created in the US since the Vegas Double Header.

Whilst nothing like the numbers PVL is aiming for, that equates to roughly 400K worth of revenue at the AUD229 price point.

These are meant to be in addition to the 3,000-odd subscribers previously published that regularly sign up for Watch NRL in the US.
Excellent

Vegas as a money spinner will grow every year

Zadar

Juniors
Quite a few posts on social media with that incredible Coates try from last night.

Almost all of them have been bombarded with ignorant Americans saying, that's nothing, NFL players do it all the time etc etc.

Good little reality check on how parochial they are, and how unwilling to acknowledge any athletic feat that's not local.

they might do it all the time, but could they actually ground the ball? Imagine if in rugby league, all you had to do was cross the line for a try. Front rowers would be our top tryscorers!

Yea but you need to put the ball down and not just cross the.line.

(1 point)

they might do it all the time, but could they actually ground the ball? Imagine if in rugby league, all you had to do was cross the line for a try. Front rowers would be our top tryscorers!
I don’t think that was @Canard’s point, though. The thing is, the Yanks not knowing the rules think they do it all the time and therefore they think our game isn’t offering anything different or better for that matter. So there’s a parochial boundary we still need to cross.

Canard

Immortal
Yea but you need to put the ball down and not just cross the.line.

(1 point)
Yeah, I'm not arguing that point.

Believe me, the requirement for a putdown got raised by RL fans in response, but it's not been ignored or brushed aside as "easy".

Canard

Immortal
Another posted: “I’m the last person to brag about America but this is like a normal NFL touchdown lol”.

One wrote: “If this is the most acrobatic play, I’m glad I’m sticking with the NFL”.

Wb1234

Referee
I don’t think that was @Canard’s point, though. The thing is, the Yanks not knowing the rules think they do it all the time and therefore they think our game isn’t offering anything different or better for that matter. So there’s a parochial boundary we still need to cross.
Yanks talking about rugby league is a good thing

they’ve targeted one percent as the goal

Canard

Immortal
What's the old saying?

Any publicity is good publicity.

I think its a win the Yanks are even bothering "defending" their game at all.....either way they're talking about NRL.
The Rugby/Rugby delineation gets a fair run to.

With most being Union fans of course.

kurt faulk

Coach

BTW, if those Americans knew that placing the ball on the ground ingoal without dropping it was the most difficult and athletic part of that play they would be singing a different tune.

Wb1234

Referee

However, the reaction from American fans has been somewhat divided.

Coates’ try was the top story on the official Reddit Sport forum which has more than 21 million members.

There were plenty of fans who were blown away.

“That was insane,” one fan wrote.

Another posted: And looks like he planned to have his head land on that soft goal post, so many things going on here. Amazing!”

One fan posted: “Wish this was more popular in America. Every time I see highlights I think, what a beautiful sport.”

One Reddit user wrote: “What a ludicrous display.”

Turns out many Americans were amazed by the try

wonder which idiot said they weren’t

Canard

Immortal

However, the reaction from American fans has been somewhat divided.

Coates’ try was the top story on the official Reddit Sport forum which has more than 21 million members.

There were plenty of fans who were blown away.

“That was insane,” one fan wrote.

Another posted: And looks like he planned to have his head land on that soft goal post, so many things going on here. Amazing!”

One fan posted: “Wish this was more popular in America. Every time I see highlights I think, what a beautiful sport.”

One Reddit user wrote: “What a ludicrous display.”

Turns out many Americans were amazed by the try

wonder which idiot said they weren’t
This is the literal headline from the article you linked.

Americans pour cold water on NRL freak as highlight goes global

Latest posts