What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Ah Benny is back.. sensational.. AND.. this is the 1 Jersey Flegg game televised on NSWRLTV.. excellent...

1. Ben Rumble
2. Cain Barnes
3. Will Starling
4. Ben Lavender
5. Khye Russell
6. Nick Quinn
7. Ashton Ward
8. Jacob Webster
9. Kyan Hjaltason (c)
10. Jett Liu
11. Dilan Asanoski
12. Campbell Watchirs
13. Matthew Alhazim

14. Trey Barlow
15. Travis Barrett-Hancock
16. Callum Leikvoll
17. Riley Pascoe
Interesting to note that S. Finau, Tamale, the Couchmans, and Egan are all eligible for Flegg, but have not been selected despite NSW cup having the bye. Tamale had a HIA. So he wouldn't have played. But it looks like they want to give the other youngsters a rest for the long season ahead.

TheRev

First Grade
Interesting to note that S. Finau, Tamale, the Couchmans, and Egan are all eligible for Flegg, but have not been selected despite NSW cup having the bye. Tamale had a HIA. So he wouldn't have played. But it looks like they want to give the other youngsters a rest for the long season ahead.
Its a good point, but seems logical, those names you mention are trying to develop for 1st grade now, in fact an injury or 2 and they are our 1st graders.... and that JF squad will end up being the place we can promote the army of SG players into.. push them and see who rises... there are a few forwards like Liu, Stewart, Webster in particular that are in that JF team that will face pressure from all those youngens... bit of a battle to see who is ready first... feels very lord of the flies or something.

Its a good point, but seems logical, those names you mention are trying to develop for 1st grade now, in fact an injury or 2 and they are our 1st graders.... and that JF squad will end up being the place we can promote the army of SG players into.. push them and see who rises... there are a few forwards like Liu, Stewart, Webster in particular that are in that JF team that will face pressure from all those youngens... bit of a battle to see who is ready first... feels very lord of the flies or something.
Hamish Stewart is a bit ahead of the others. He played well in NSW cup at the end of last year and is already signed in the top 30 for 2025 and 2026. But I agree that they should have an interseting rotation of forwards in about a month's time.

Parko1310

Juniors
The new CBA states that any player in the club's top 30 dropped below NSW Cup level can seek an immediate release from their contract and negotiate with other clubs. Egan this wouldn't apply for.. but he's not too far off NRL anyway. The others, we can't really play in Flegg given they're part of the 30. That and obviously they're our back ups for NRL

TheRev

First Grade
Calendar for Saturday:
o Jersey Flegg: 3.10pm NSW (2.10pm QLD) - Jubilee/NSWRLTV Coverage #BennyRumbleTime
o 1st Grade: 5.30pm NSW (4.30pm QLD) - WIN/Fox

Calendar for Sunday:
o SGSteelers: 1pm NSW (Midday QLD) - No Coverage
o SGDragons: 2.30pm NSW (1.30pm QLD) - No Coverage

SG Finals: I have done some napkin maths for SG (2 rounds left).. both teams need to win this weekend (against tough opponents) to keep their finals berth in their own hands.. if they lose they are still a chance but it will come down to results going their way + for and against...they will be treating it as a must-win.. hopefully the pressure doesn't choke them up.. our rivals are 100% in sudden death mode.

NSW Cup: Have the bye.. which is a good week given all the injuries/suspension/HIA.

TheRev

First Grade
Jersey Flegg Notes:

1st Half:
o The Silktails are still finding their way.. tonnes of big hits but not much of the class needed.
o Liu & Webster both rly big athletic bodies, setting a good platform, not sure how they compare to the younger ones, but promising.
o Benny Rumble is back and a class above.. one of the beautiful facepasses for the first try.. I dont think ive ever seen a dragons player in any grade do that.. 2 of his own, 2 try assists.. just a gun.. just needs more muscle and experience.. wonder how fast he finds his way into cup.. we shall see.. that said I dunno what the issue was before this week, hopefully nothing too serious.
o Lots of other players have been good.. but again the Silktails are completely open on their edges.. no defence.. it just took our halves a while to realise it I think.
o Defence has been good.. couple of errors, 2 from Rumble, SIlktails tend to just go for 1 out burrow type plays, very physical stuff, but so far we have survived with goalline intact.
o Ok 22-6 Halftime, a pretty nice try from them, and rly off the back of our own errors.

2nd Half:
o Ward gets a nice little run after getting the ball back after more Silktrail errors.. they do heaps of dumb stuff, not finding touch etc.. physical as hell but just constantly letting the pressure relief off. 26-6 up.
o 40-20 from Ward and Rumble in again.. I have to admit Im yet to really see him challenged in defence, he maybe could have prevented their try before halftime, but certainly in attack hes beautiful to watch, has a rly long tall frame too, can kind of fend off ppl. 36-6 up. As I say that another Rumble error, hes had 2 where he thought he was running a decoy but they passed it to him anyway.. tbf its his 1st week back, tonsil surgery as Jeremy says below.
o Nice 2nd grubber there for a try to the Silktails, probably nothing Rumble could do on that one.. 36-12.
o Silktails seem to be warming up as the game goes on.. Rumble pulled off a beatuiful contested bomb take on his line there.
o Rumble breaks the line, runs 30m upfield and puts Quinn away for a try.. my man lol.. 42-12.
o Silktails went in but called back for an obstruction.. I think we were lucky, I think Watchirs was just done for speed.
o Rumble in again lmao.. jumped in to dummy half and sent it down the shortside.. beatiful offload from Watchirs.. he had a few nice runs in that set... and Benny backs up for his 4th try. 46-12.
o Hjalatason running thru some very loose defence in the middle.. had 5 players to pass too lol.. try for Wardy. *50-12. FULL-TIME.

General Player Notes: Who stays when SG comes up?
o Wing: I think both wingers will be lucky to stay, not that either did anything wrong, but Jesse Williams is a certainty and the other is a brutally tough call.. no idea who gets it.
o Centres: Lavender is a bit of a bulldozing kind of frame.. he did some nice things, but that spot is Buchanans.... Starling also had some nice runs.. a lot of carries with footwork out of his own end... but again I mean I dunno..
o Halves: Ward was the standout half today... decent boot and goalkicking better than the others ive seen in SG... maybe Ward stays with Reed or maybe its Reed + Hammoud.. given that King-Togia is injured.. dunno what theyre gonna do here.. its gonna be a huge shift for the team though if 2/3 the team changes.
o Hooker: Hjalatason is captain and has had lots of decent runs in the game.. I dont feel like ive seen enough of him to pick his potential, or how well he defends... but given the younger grade hookers arent smashing any doors down, this kid probably remains hooker and captain I reckon.
o Middles: So Liu and Webster..Liu has a very big tall frame.. if his fitness is there he will have a body very suited to NRL... Webster is a little shorter (but not short by any stretch) with a massive f/off frame.. also rly well suited to NRL.. just a question ofhow fast they can come on with the ridiculous Dragons SG Ball pack on their tail. The 13 Alhazim was rly solid too.. but I cant imagine he doesnt get trumped by Meafou or Latu etc.
o 2nd Rowers: Asanoski and Watchirs have both had strong moments in attack and defence (in a dominant game), ive been interested in Watchirs for years, he used to play ctr and was always in the try-scoring, but hes pretty damn solid so maybe this is his path now.. that said guys like Halangahu, Stanley-Traill, Treweek.. god knows what they will do..

Note: Maybe some of these kids end up on the Cup bench though.. so maybe we can squeeze a couple more in.

Last edited:
Jersey Flegg Notes (22-0 currently):

o Liu & Webster both rly big athletic bodies, setting a good platform, not sure how they compare to the younger ones, but promising.
Webster was a giant two years ago in SG Ball. Was Steelers SG Ball player of the year that year. Made the NSW u/19 team that year with Toby Couchman and Morkos. Let's hope he can keep replicating these performances up the grades.

hook hook

Juniors
Webster was a giant two years ago in SG Ball. Was Steelers SG Ball player of the year that year. Made the NSW u/19 team that year with Toby Couchman and Morkos. Let's hope he can keep replicating these performances up the grades.
The bench forwards didn’t offer too much, you’d think this team will be in a really good position with some of those SG gun forwards coming off the bench

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Jersey Flegg Notes:

1st Half:
o The Silktails are still finding their way.. tonnes of big hits but not much of the class needed.
o Benny Rumble is back and a class above.. one of the beautiful facepasses for the first try.. I dont think ive ever seen a dragons player in any grade do that.. 2 of his own, 2 try assists.. just a gun.. just needs more muscle and experience.. wonder how fast he finds his way into cup.. we shall see.. that said I dunno what the issue was before this week, hopefully nothing too serious.
o Lots of other players have been good.. but again the Silktails are completely open on their edges.. no defence.. it just took our halves a while to realise it I think.
o Defence has been good.. couple of errors, 2 from Rumble, SIlktails tend to just go for 1 out burrow type plays, very physical stuff, but so far we have survived with goalline intact.
o Ok 22-6 Halftime, a pretty nice try from them, and rly off the back of our own errors.

2nd Half:
o Ward gets a nice little run after getting the ball back after more Silktrail errors.. they do heaps of dumb stuff, not finding touch etc.. physical as hell but just constantly letting the pressure relief off. 26-6 up.
o 40-20 from Ward and Rumble in again.. I have to admit Im yet to really see him challenged in defence, he maybe could have prevented their try before halftime, but certainly in attack hes beautiful to watch, has a rly long tall frame too, can kind of fend off ppl. 36-6 up. As I say that another Rumble error, hes had 2 where he thought he was running a decoy but they passed it to him anyway.. tbf its his 1st week back, tonsil surgery as Jeremy says below.
o Nice 2nd grubber there for a try to the Silktails, probably nothing Rumble could do on that one.. 36-12.
o Silktails seem to be warming up as the game goes on.. Rumble pulled off a beatuiful contested bomb take on his line there.
o Rumble breaks the line, runs 30m upfield and puts Quinn away for a try.. my man lol.. 42-12.
o Silktails went in but called back for an obstruction.. I think we were lucky, I think Watchirs was just done for speed.
o Rumble in again lmao.. jumped in to dummy half and sent it down the shortside.. beatiful offload from Watchirs.. he had a few nice runs in that set... and Benny backs up for his 4th try. 46-12.
o Hjalatason running thru some very loose defence in the middle.. had 5 players to pass too lol.. try for Wardy. 52-12. FULL-TIME.

General Player Notes: Who stays when SG comes up?
o Wing: I think both wingers will be lucky to stay, not that either did anything wrong, but Jesse Williams is a certainty and the other is a brutally tough call.. no idea who gets it.
o Centres: Lavender is a bit of a bulldozing kind of frame.. he did some nice things, but that spot is Buchanans.... Starling also had some nice runs.. a lot of carries with footwork out of his own end... but again I mean I dunno..
o Halves: Ward was the standout half today... decent boot and goalkicking better than the others ive seen in SG... maybe Ward stays with Reed or maybe its Reed + Hammoud.. given that King-Togia is injured.. dunno what theyre gonna do here.. its gonna be a huge shift for the team though if 2/3 the team changes.
o Hooker: Hjalatason is captain and has had lots of decent runs in the game.. I dont feel like ive seen enough of him to pick his potential, or how well he defends... but given the younger grade hookers arent smashing any doors down, this kid probably remains hooker and captain I reckon.
o Middles: So Liu and Webster..Liu has a very big tall frame.. if his fitness is there he will have a body very suited to NRL... Webster is a little shorter (but not short by any stretch) with a massive f/off frame.. also rly well suited to NRL.. just a question ofhow fast they can come on with the ridiculous Dragons SG Ball pack on their tail. The 13 Alhazim was rly solid too.. but I cant imagine he doesnt get trumped by Meafou or Latu etc.
o 2nd Rowers: Asanoski and Watchirs have both had strong moments in attack and defence (in a dominant game), ive been interested in Watchirs for years, he used to play ctr and was always in the try-scoring, but hes pretty damn solid so maybe this is his path now.. that said guys like Halangahu, Stanley-Traill, Treweek.. god knows what they will do..

Note: Maybe some of these kids end up on the Cup bench though.. so maybe we can squeeze a couple more in.
Excellent. Is that your own work Rev?

BTW, full time was 50-12.

Ward was the standout half today...
I disagree, he and Nick Quinn both stood out. Quinn did a lot of good little things with his silky ball skills like putting guys into space to make huge inroads into enemy territory. His defense is sound as is his kicking game. The complete package. A quiet achiever now, but who will make plenty of noise going forward, whether as a 5/8 or a ball playing lock in the mold of JDB. I hope he does it with us as he is a Saints junior from the famous Renown United club.

Last edited: