What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SL Stadium developments

Suitman

Post Whore
I’m pleased to say I was at both those Stadium Australia games… unfortunately for losses in both.
I was lucky enough to be at both of those matches at SA as well.
Exciting times back in the day with 2 x 100 000+ attendances.

yakstorm

First Grade
Well Odsal has a new sign for 2024

I wonder if Bartercard actually paid any cash, or if it's a lot like their other RL sponsorships (NZRL, London Broncos) where its 'Bartercard credit'.

Appreciate the historical significance of the ground, but the club will never get back into SL whilst they still play there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well Odsal has a new sign for 2024

I wonder if Bartercard actually paid any cash, or if it's a lot like their other RL sponsorships (NZRL, London Broncos) where its 'Bartercard credit'.

Appreciate the historical significance of the ground, but the club will never get back into SL whilst they still play there.
They need to bite the bullet if staying there and move the pitch to the main stand, build anew stand over the terracing on other side and link it to the corporate end right in. move pitch end up to that stand. They’ve scored really well in the grading and could be back in of they can get it sorted.

IMG_1745.jpeg

Perth Red

Post Whore

Wakefield Trinity set for further stadium redevelopment​

Wakefield Trinity owner Matt Ellis has issued a major stadium update for fans.
Speaking on BBC West Yorkshire Sport, he outlined a number of ways in which his club were looking to improve their home ground, Belle Vue.
Asked what he was most proud of at the club, Ellis responded: “It’s the ambition to take the club forward.

“We’re not ‘little Wakefield’ – we’re aiming higher.
“The start point was to go in and through the whole club, look at it and go: on the field we’re aiming higher, commercially we’re aiming higher.”

Filling the stadium a priority for Wakefield Trinity​

“I said a few months go: whatever the capacity is at the minute, let’s try and fill it. I think the thing I’m most proud of is the support – getting the support behind the club again. I was speaking to Daz in the club shop yesterday let’s try and push higher.
“I was looking at the IMG attendance bracket. It’s going to be tough to get 7,500 but we’re going to get it for the Bradford game. Let’s see if we can get the ball rolling. Long term, fill the stadium.

Upgrading the stadium
Belle Vue is one of rugby league’s most iconic grounds, and after its smart new East Stand being completed last year, the club wants to go further with redevelopment.​

“I was talking to Daryl [Powell] about it on Friday: I think we’ve got potential for a great rugby stadium.
“If we sort the West Terrace out, with the new stand, it’s got the old North Terrace, the atmosphere of the Terrace.
“If we do something smart over on the West, and then we’ve got the South Stand hospitality, it’s just a unique view.
“It’s not a boring ground, we need to just ramp the atmosphere up there. I think we’ve got one of the best grounds to go to.”

Wakefield Trinity and The West Terrace​

Ellis suggested an exciting vision for Belle Vue’s western stand, which Wakefield Trinity fans may have reason to get excited about.
“I’d like to obviously put a roof on the West Terrace, that would mean we sell more home tickets in there as well, and do the rooftop terrace idea, I think that would be great.

“Obviously we’ve spoken to a couple of architects and got a few designs.
“I mean, we’ve got to fill the stadium. Obviously, you know, filling the stadium will drive that.
“I’m hoping we’re back in Super League because we’ve seen the interest grow through the year.
“So sun’s out, top of the Western Terrace, pint in your hand, it is a fantastic view from there.”

Floodlights​

He also suggested that a quick fix could be done to improve the stadium as quickly as this week in regards to the floodlights at the ground.
“Well, there’s a lot of work done in regards to changing it. We’ve got a generator sorted for the Bradford game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Castleford Tigers are one step down the road in acquiring their new stadium, with a new drawing of the proposed site plan now being published.

The Fords’ much-needed stadium upgrades had been recommended for approval last month, but the publication of this new drawing suggests the club are one step closer to getting their new stadium.

The new drawing, which is available to view on the Wakefield Council website, indicates the training pitch situated outside the ground will become a fully 4G pitch with four new floodlights.

As well as this, the capacity for the new-look Wheldon Road will now be 10, 363, smaller than the current capacity of 12,000. According to the new drawing, the East Stand will have capacity for 2218 fans, the Wheldon Road End will allow for 2780 fans, the Princess Street Stand will accommodate 3051 and the Railway End will hold 2314.

Other things on the new drawing, which can be viewed at the bottom of the article, include a new club shop and a fitness suite.

The overall project at the Wheldon Road site will deliver a much-improved matchday experience for fans. A new main stand, as well as a full refurbishment of the three existing stands, are major parts of the plans. The club’s hospitality options will also improve, with a new banqueting suite and corporate hospitality suite.

will also greatly boost the work of the Castleford Tigers Foundation, in particular with the new teaching suite.

As well as the improvements to the Stadium, the site will see the new Axiom employment hub. Axiom’s proposals would provide £12.2 million of funding towards the stadium improvements, with an additional £2 million coming from Wakefield Council’s Rugby League Resilience Fund.

Wb1234

Referee

Wakefield Trinity set for further stadium redevelopment​

Wakefield Trinity owner Matt Ellis has issued a major stadium update for fans.
Speaking on BBC West Yorkshire Sport, he outlined a number of ways in which his club were looking to improve their home ground, Belle Vue.
Asked what he was most proud of at the club, Ellis responded: “It’s the ambition to take the club forward.

“We’re not ‘little Wakefield’ – we’re aiming higher.
“The start point was to go in and through the whole club, look at it and go: on the field we’re aiming higher, commercially we’re aiming higher.”

Filling the stadium a priority for Wakefield Trinity​

“I said a few months go: whatever the capacity is at the minute, let’s try and fill it. I think the thing I’m most proud of is the support – getting the support behind the club again. I was speaking to Daz in the club shop yesterday let’s try and push higher.
“I was looking at the IMG attendance bracket. It’s going to be tough to get 7,500 but we’re going to get it for the Bradford game. Let’s see if we can get the ball rolling. Long term, fill the stadium.

Upgrading the stadium​

Belle Vue is one of rugby league’s most iconic grounds, and after its smart new East Stand being completed last year, the club wants to go further with redevelopment.​

“I was talking to Daryl [Powell] about it on Friday: I think we’ve got potential for a great rugby stadium.
“If we sort the West Terrace out, with the new stand, it’s got the old North Terrace, the atmosphere of the Terrace.
“If we do something smart over on the West, and then we’ve got the South Stand hospitality, it’s just a unique view.
“It’s not a boring ground, we need to just ramp the atmosphere up there. I think we’ve got one of the best grounds to go to.”

Wakefield Trinity and The West Terrace​

Ellis suggested an exciting vision for Belle Vue’s western stand, which Wakefield Trinity fans may have reason to get excited about.
“I’d like to obviously put a roof on the West Terrace, that would mean we sell more home tickets in there as well, and do the rooftop terrace idea, I think that would be great.

“Obviously we’ve spoken to a couple of architects and got a few designs.
“I mean, we’ve got to fill the stadium. Obviously, you know, filling the stadium will drive that.
“I’m hoping we’re back in Super League because we’ve seen the interest grow through the year.
“So sun’s out, top of the Western Terrace, pint in your hand, it is a fantastic view from there.”

Floodlights​

He also suggested that a quick fix could be done to improve the stadium as quickly as this week in regards to the floodlights at the ground.
“Well, there’s a lot of work done in regards to changing it. We’ve got a generator sorted for the Bradford game.

Make believe stadium upgrades was how wakey tricked the licensing criteria last time

Wb1234

Referee
Castleford Tigers are one step down the road in acquiring their new stadium, with a new drawing of the proposed site plan now being published.

The Fords’ much-needed stadium upgrades had been recommended for approval last month, but the publication of this new drawing suggests the club are one step closer to getting their new stadium.

The new drawing, which is available to view on the Wakefield Council website, indicates the training pitch situated outside the ground will become a fully 4G pitch with four new floodlights.

As well as this, the capacity for the new-look Wheldon Road will now be 10, 363, smaller than the current capacity of 12,000. According to the new drawing, the East Stand will have capacity for 2218 fans, the Wheldon Road End will allow for 2780 fans, the Princess Street Stand will accommodate 3051 and the Railway End will hold 2314.

Other things on the new drawing, which can be viewed at the bottom of the article, include a new club shop and a fitness suite.

The overall project at the Wheldon Road site will deliver a much-improved matchday experience for fans. A new main stand, as well as a full refurbishment of the three existing stands, are major parts of the plans. The club’s hospitality options will also improve, with a new banqueting suite and corporate hospitality suite.

will also greatly boost the work of the Castleford Tigers Foundation, in particular with the new teaching suite.

As well as the improvements to the Stadium, the site will see the new Axiom employment hub. Axiom’s proposals would provide £12.2 million of funding towards the stadium improvements, with an additional £2 million coming from Wakefield Council’s Rugby League Resilience Fund.

Another bs proposal to keep in super league

TDD91

Juniors
Make believe stadium upgrades was how wakey tricked the licensing criteria last time

The new stand they've built is definitely not make believe. Unlike Castleford, Wakey have actually done something about their situation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hull KR CEO Paul Lakin has spoken about possible developments at their home ground, Craven Park.

General view of Hull KR's Craven Park.

The Robins’ home support has been incredibly impressive this year, with their club-record 8,000 members remarkably putting the number of members even higher than the average attendance at Craven Park in 2022.
The East Stand is completely sold-out of memberships, with just 300 seats being released for general sale per game there.

Speaking to the BBC at half-time of their game vs Leigh Leopards, Lakin said: “I think we understand that we’re in the entertainment industry and we need to provide value for money.

“We need to provide something that, apart from the product on the pitch, is something that people want to enjoy and Craven Streat has clearly been a huge success for us.”
“It’s so popular, people just come to meet up here hours before the game, it’s open a couple of hours before the game, a couple of hours afterwards, it’s become a real social event before and after the game.”
Craven Streat is a fan park within the stadium, which was opened in 2021.

That year, Lakin told Sky Sports: “It’s taking the weakest part of our ground and turning it into a real strength”.

It offers up an American-style ‘carnival’ atmosphere at the end of the ground without a stand.

Lakin acknowledged the impact of this on attendances. He said: “It comes down to the product.

“The product is the team on the pitch

“We’ve got a strong team going well – so 8,000 members, the last six league games have been a sell-out, going from last season into this season, so yeah.

“We’re going very well.

“We’re certainly looking to develop, whether we’ll develop this end first, it may be an extension to the East Stand, but we need new capacity.

“As I say, every league game is a sell-out, which is a great problem to have, and hopefully one we’ll resolve for next season.”

Craven Park currently has capacity for 12,225 supporters, which puts it eighth in Super League.

Further development would put it in a growing list of Super League venues to have significant work done this year, joining Wheldon Road and Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Wb1234

Referee
Hull kr established in the 1800s copying the Toronto Wolfpack to market their games copying their craft beer tent

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hull kr established in the 1800s copying the Toronto Wolfpack to market their games copying their craft beer tent
Actually Catalans were doing it prior to either, but you wouldn’t know that. Craven st is much more than a beer tent, but you wouldnt know that Either.

Brian potter

Bench
Actually Catalans were doing it prior to either, but you wouldn’t know that. Craven st is much more than a beer tent, but you wouldnt know that Either.
isn’t it a strange position he’s taken by apparently mocking the actions of hull kr trying to increase the crowds and the general all round positivity on a game day at craven park.

Good on them.

more clubs should be doing be it in super league, NRL, elite 1 or the championship etc.
A lot of essential action in RL takes place within confined spaces. Which often makes it hard to appreciate at the ground. A try-scoring short-side play can involve multiple hands, split-second timing, amazing skill levels. Absolutely brilliant when you see it in slo-mo on a screen. But in real time, if you're up the other end of the stadium, you might as well be on the moon.

You can go to RL and spend half your time watching the big screen. Which naturally prompts a reflection that you could have enjoyed the game just as much from your sofa.

Games like Soccer and AFL, where the spectacle is more stretched out across the field, have an advantage as live events. RL clubs have to work harder on gameday experience.

Wb1234

Referee
A lot of essential action in RL takes place within confined spaces. Which often makes it hard to appreciate at the ground. A try-scoring short-side play can involve multiple hands, split-second timing, amazing skill levels. Absolutely brilliant when you see it in slo-mo on a screen. But in real time, if you're up the other end of the stadium, you might as well be on the moon.

You can go to RL and spend half your time watching the big screen. Which naturally prompts a reflection that you could have enjoyed the game just as much from your sofa.

Games like Soccer and AFL, where the spectacle is more stretched out across the field, have an advantage as live events. RL clubs have to work harder on gameday experience.
Half way line seats as far back as you can get

but watching from behind the posts does give a different perspective which you don’t get on tv anyway bc they don’t use that camera angle

Latest posts