What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major expansion U-turn is needed

Brian potter

Bench
Before it’s too late.

The NRL needs to shelve any ridiculous and unrealistic plans of putting a professional NRL franchise club in PNG in favour of fast tracking NZ2 before RL blows a once in a lifetime opportunity to seriously grow the game in New Zealand to never seen before levels.

a professional PNG NRL team is unsustainable while New Zealand is currently a ripe RL market country there for the picking.

act now and strike while the iron is hot NRL. You won’t regret it!!!

Before it’s too late.

The NRL needs to shelve any ridiculous and unrealistic plans of putting a professional NRL franchise club in PNG in favour of fast tracking NZ2 before RL blows a once in a lifetime opportunity to seriously grow the game in New Zealand to never seen before levels.

a professional PNG NRL team is unsustainable while New Zealand is currently a ripe RL market country there for the picking.

act now and strike while the iron is hot NRL. You won’t regret it!!!
Imagine if the board members of the Crusaders and Hurricanes defected to NRL teams set up in Christchurch and Wellington?

It's highly unlikely to happen, but if it did then the damage it would cause the NZRU would be priceless and Earth shattering.

Brian potter

Bench
Imagine if the board members of the Crusaders and Hurricanes defected to NRL teams set up in Christchurch and Wellington?

It's highly unlikely to happen, but if it did then the damage it would cause the NZRU would be priceless and Earth shattering.
It would indeed but like you say highly unlikely to happen unfortunately.

what could be a more realistic scenario is if the crusaders or hurricanes become a dual-code club like what harlequins did with the London broncos in super league in 2006.

I personally would be against any dual-code clubs as at the end of the day the games of RU and RL are competitors at best and enemies at worst.

blue bags

First Grade
Very good ideas 🤠
Combination of super unions
NRL juniors
Would be fantastic if South African
Franchise's are involved

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm still not convinced that a second NZ side will be the slam dunk many are convinced it will be.

I'm certainly not opposed to the idea, in fact I think NRL will probably never get a better chance to launch NZ2 than now and fully support them entering the competition next. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if the new side struggles in a similar way to how the Warriors have in the past if they aren't particularly competitive on the pitch.

Broadcasters and government support for the idea will probably never be more favourable than now though, so if it was me I'd be trying to push through the plans to get the side confirmed as quickly as possible to benefit from that as who knows how long those circumstances will last. It doesn't even necessarily need to be the 18th team, just sell them the license as soon as possible to confirm their place in the competition and give them a timeframe to launch in this decade either as the 18th team or 19th/20th if they're serious about expanding that quickly.

I don't know how sustainable the Warriors and RL's current success in NZ will be if they start struggling/underachieving on the pitch again or if the All Blacks string together a few strong seasons and win a World Cup. Maybe they kick on, or maybe it all comes apart at the seams until the next time everything lines up perfectly and they explode again, who knows, but the NRL shouldn't waste this opportunity.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Highly unlikely is an understatement. . . It's a deluded fantasy to suggest it's even possible.

Unless something has changed recently all the NZ SR sides are at least part owned by the local provincial RU. Most are majority owned by them, from memory the Crusaders (or maybe it was Chiefs) and Highlanders are the only exceptions, but their private shareholders still wouldn't have the power to force their clubs to switch codes unilaterally.

Brian potter

Bench
Highly unlikely is an understatement. . . It's a deluded fantasy to suggest it's even possible.

Unless something has changed recently all the NZ SR sides are at least part owned by the local provincial RU. Most are majority owned by them, from memory the Crusaders (or maybe it was Chiefs) and Highlanders are the only exceptions, but their private shareholders still wouldn't have the power to force their clubs to switch codes unilaterally.
Like I’ve previously stated RL&RU are competitors in what is a relatively small market and the NZRU would be crazy in giving league a leg up.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I did say by 2040.

😉
As it is South Africa is basically a failed state and things are deteriorating so badly there that it may not even exist in 2040.

They're a single bad election from complete anarchy or a civil war, and corruption is tearing what's left of their society apart even if it doesn't completely collapse. Add to that all the logistical complications with such large time zone differences, which are directly responsible for helping to screw RU in Australia into the ground BTW, and it's a terrible idea.

Maybe in some hypothetical future where international travel becomes much cheaper and quicker and their society has stabilised it'll be worth considering, but I doubt that happens in our lifetimes.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
As it is South Africa is basically a failed state and things are deteriorating so badly there that it may not even exist in 2040.

They're a single bad election from complete anarchy or a civil war, and corruption is tearing what's left of their society apart even if it doesn't completely collapse. Add to that all the logistical complications with such large time zone differences, which are directly responsible for helping to screw RU in Australia into the ground BTW, and it's a terrible idea.

Maybe in some hypothetical future where international travel becomes much cheaper and quicker and their society has stabilised it'll be worth considering, but I doubt that happens in our lifetimes.
SA isn’t great but they’re still one of the more prosperous societies in Africa and they survived the fall of apartheid without descending into complete anarchy so I don’t think the current issues they have are insurmountable.

That's right, provincial unions hold various levels of ownership in all franchises. But its not just one PU per franchise, its several because each franchise represent a region, not just the city they're based in.

The Saders for instance represent 6 separate unions, while the Canes represent 8, all with ownership interests. Even the private investors involved have deep ties to the code, like the ex-ABs who've recently bought into the Highlanders.

An NZ SR team switching to RL is as likely as an NRL club switching to RU. Actually, less because all SR players are centrally contracted by NZR.

Some of the speculation on this thread is getting ridiculous. Entertaining though.

Canard

Immortal
Its weird how this forum is 1000% certain that PNG will happen.

Its still a long way from certain.

Unlike the RL tragics on here, the general populace of Australia will overwhelmingly reject this proposal at the ballot box.

Further, China's influence and power is literally waning daily, as they plunge into financial crisis.

mongoose

Coach
Its weird how this forum is 1000% certain that PNG will happen.

Its still a long way from certain.

Unlike the RL tragics on here, the general populace of Australia will overwhelmingly reject this proposal at the ballot box.

Further, China's influence and power is literally waning daily, as they plunge into financial crisis.
yep, I won't believe it until I see it.

I didn't say the clubs would switch from RU to RL. That's never going to happen. I said it would be huge if the board members ditched the Crusaders and Hurricanes for NRL teams in Christchurch and Wellington.

Ok, for the sake of playing this out a bit more... what would the board members jumping ship actually achieve?
They have connections with the business sector. RU crowds have nosedived. Warriors are drawing huge crowds.

Losing the board members would make the public question the viability of Super Rugby. It would be a little bit like the Super League War.

We've already got David Moffet pusing for a team in Christchurch.

The Great Dane

First Grade
SA isn’t great but they’re still one of the more prosperous societies in Africa and they survived the fall of apartheid without descending into complete anarchy so I don’t think the current issues they have are insurmountable.
Mate things have seriously deteriorated in the 30 years since the fall of apartheid.

Chronic corruption across the board, significantly widening income inequality, significant increases in violent crime and organised crime across the board.

Rule of law has deteriorated in most of the country and for the most part police either act as the punitive arm of the ANC or as another gang. One of the, maybe the, largest industry in the country are militarised private security firms.

All their infrastructure is collapsing and it's purely down to political corruption. Critical water shortages because of mismanagement, rolling daily power outages nationally, crumbling buildings and transport infrastructure, etc, all because of corruption, nepotism, and frankly racism in the ANC and halls of power. Food security is increasingly becoming a concern as well.

They have 32% unemployment (and many experts reckon they're significantly underestimating) and about 60% of the nation are on the dole or some equivalent government payment. On top of that about 1.5% of the population pay about 60% of South Africa's income tax and that pool of people has been shrinking.

There're mainstream players in South African politics with openly violent rhetoric, most famously Julius Malema and the EFF. South Africa is the only country with diversity quoters for the majority population and institutionally discriminatory practices against Boer, ethnically English, Indian, Khoisan, and even some of the less politically powerful Bantu tribes of the time, are endemic. The occurrence of political and racial violence against the Boers is particularly concerning and escalating.

I could go on, but the point is that South African society is one spark from exploding into a million pieces.

Latest posts