What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Warriors at WIN

I know it's cliche, but defence wins games. Our win was built off the back of the first 20 minutes of the game where we repelled attack after attack, especially on our left edge. Flanno jnr was just immense, along with Suli, RFM and Tui. With Bird and Luciano to come back, the temptation will be to juggle things around, resulting in a change to that edge. I say reward the guys and let them stick together.

On a different note, I criticised Hunt for his play-making in previous posts, in particular his kicking and the speed at which he executed his plays. Last night, he varied his kicks, putting in a few low raking ones to the corners and some grubbers as well as his usual bombs. He also ran harder at the line prior to passing, giving the opposition less time to set in defence and more time for him to hit a hole runner or go out the back. Also having Flanno jnr at first receiver and Hunt one wider worked well. Overall much better from Benny.

First time for a long time I was excited in a performance by our team. However we need to do this more weeks than not, otherwise it will be yet another false dawn.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I think the combo of Dean, Ryan and Flano is the “one”

the best teams have had an amazing mix of coaches to bring success

In AFL you hear AFL coaches give more praise to their assistant coaches in press conferences

I wonder why NRL coaches don’t communicate as much how the success of their teams depends on their co coaches as much as anyone?

also the post game press conferences in NRL are still tweaked to controversy re players coming and going this or next season.

AFL post game conferences are almost 100% about the now and the game and players

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
I found it funny watching Lawrie take the ball up without pushing hard with his legs. Ran for two steps and tackled stone dead. The ball was then played back to BMM who ran hard and powered forward at least 20 metres. What a contrast that was. We can do better without Lawrie I'm afraid to say.
Now that we have found a 14th man, BMM had his best game in the red & white & Debellin is killing it coming off the bench why would you lose momentum with Lawrie? Can’t put him ahead of Mariner when Lilian returns. I’d rather a forward killing it in reggies being promoted as well. Can you be over the hill at 27/28?

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Good morning everyone, that was a great performance in attack and defence last night by each and every lad. Flanno has the eye of the tiger and his cherry picking of non elite players and having them play out of their skin is Bellamy like.
I never expected Zachary to kick that 2 point field goal didn’t know he had it in him. Anzac Day will be a blockbuster!

I found it funny watching Lawrie take the ball up without pushing hard with his legs. Ran for two steps and tackled stone dead. The ball was then played back to BMM who ran hard and powered forward at least 20 metres. What a contrast that was. We can do better without Lawrie I'm afraid to say.
He literally falls like a sack of spuds when tackled. No leg speed and drive. I reckon Sloan gets more post contact metres.

denis preston

First Grade
I remember that play - don’t think the 2nd run happens without the first. Also don’t think BMM could do the shitty tough carries Lawrie does either.
Great run by BMM, don’t get me wrong (he was good off the bench again), but played 13 mins. They play completely different roles
Please explain why some players can’t do shitty tough carries and why this is a skill? I think Lomax gets too involved & in the forwards way with shitty tough carries but I guess he takes some of their workload and as long as it doesn’t effect his game I guess it’s ok. Not being critical of your comment D&Y just interested why a Couchman or others we can promote can’t at least do this.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
what I know of the rules is if the ball touches the corner post it is out.
I a body touches the corner post and not the boundary line it is not out
same as if someone kicks the ball and it touches the corner post
If the ball is kicked and touches the corner post it's out
If the body touches the corner post, body is still in
If the ball touches the corner post, ball is still in as its an extension of the body.

And FYI the ball from RFM to Lomax was forward.

Woke up this morning and watched the replay….. Nope, wasn’t dreaming :)
Same here.
I was driving last night and listening to the ABC radio call, but Saints looked as good as they sounded.
Impossible to pick a 3-2-1, they were all immense. Here's hoping that the Mary/Hook-ball is finally being purged from us.
Personal highlights:
1) Sloan looking down at the emblem as he finished his 90 metre dash to the line.
2) JdB dragging Harris back off the goal line when he had all but scored, reminiscent of Matt Cooper's tackle on McQueen years ago.
Fun to watch - not cos we won but because we were good to watch, from start to finish.

Latest posts