What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
Males especially are too lazy to get there heart checked.

Doesn't help there isn't an incentive either from the government.

For those in that age group of 40-60 should go get it checked it every year.

I was born with a congentive heart condition so I have to see a cardiologist every year for regular a check up.

The ECG and checkup is around $400 you only get $200 back or so from Medicare.

But $200 in the scheme of things is not worth losing your life over.

A lot of these issues can be prevented I have seen cardiologist my whole life and the technology around the heart is improving and getting better every year. They can spot stuff 2-3 years in advance.
My bro in law ran marathons. Had his heart checked before covid in 2019 and result was he has a heart of an athlete.

Died last year from a heart attack. He just dropped dead. Autopsy showed his heart was oversized and he had 3 blocked arteries.

He did have 2 symptoms. 1st, his last marathon he didnt finish. He said he felt really tired. Then 2 days before he died, he was moving tiles for a rennovation. Got tired and out of breath and rested.

2 days later he died.

Avenger

Immortal
How do I get it checked? Do they look at the arteries inside?
A coronary calcium scan uses computerized tomography (CT) imaging to take pictures of your heart's arteries. It can detect calcium deposits in the coronary arteries. Calcium deposits can narrow the arteries and increase the risk of a heart attack.

That's what I did. My score was zero, and they had to check it again as they thought it was from a lion.

yy_cheng

Coach
Echocardiogram. I've had one, will go back again soon.
yup.

Usually, they will do a calcium score to see if it is high.

Then they will ask for symptoms, out of breath, tiredness, tingling, tigtness in chest.

If the calcium score is highish, the do an echocardiogram. Shove a long wire into you, inject radioctive dye and watch on a monitor your arteries to see which one are blocked. They could stent you there and then

King-Gutho94

Coach
How do I get it checked? Do they look at the arteries inside?
Go to a GP and get a referral to a cardiologist stating you want a heart check-up with an ECG.

For me it might be a different as I already have a cardiologist that I book in the next appointment at my previous one 12 months in advance.

I just have to go the GP for a referral to take there a month or two out from the appointment.

ECG basically is an X-ray of your heart they stick heartbug electrode stickers on different parts of your chest and goes for about 20-25 mins. Then the cardiologist reviews the footage and can see if there is any blockages in arteries or any other issues with the heart and can even say what it may look like 12-18 months time.

King-Gutho94

Coach
My bro in law ran marathons. Had his heart checked before covid in 2019 and result was he has a heart of an athlete.

Died last year from a heart attack. He just dropped dead. Autopsy showed his heart was oversized and he had 3 blocked arteries.

He did have 2 symptoms. 1st, his last marathon he didnt finish. He said he felt really tired. Then 2 days before he died, he was moving tiles for a rennovation. Got tired and out of breath and rested.

2 days later he died.
That's sad to hear.

Sometimes it can be the fittest ones that can go first because they think there invincible.

No one is immune unfortunately

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If “Boooods” is good enough put him in. Just find it odd that every hooker we have had under BA is devoid of a running game. It can’t be coincidence. Lussick is the latest of a typical BA hooker. Slow, predictable and no running game.
These hookers all got contracts with other NRL clubs, either before or after their time at Parra. It’s not mandatory for a quality team, so why should it be for our team?

Eelogical

Referee
yup.

Usually, they will do a calcium score to see if it is high.

Then they will ask for symptoms, out of breath, tiredness, tingling, tigtness in chest.

If the calcium score is highish, the do an echocardiogram. Shove a long wire into you, inject radioctive dye and watch on a monitor your arteries to see which one are blocked. They could stent you there and then
I told them I get a couple of these symptoms during a Parra game.

yy_cheng

Coach
That's sad to hear.

Sometimes it can be the fittest ones that can go first because they think there invincible.

No one is immune unfortunately
I had open heart surgery last year. I have always had a murmur and it was always watch and monitor.

During covid, I stopped visiting the cardiologist for 3 years and 2022 went back and he said it was severe.

I had a leaky Mitral Valve and there was a possibility that I would need a replacement either Pig, Cow or Mechanical.

Mechanical lasts forever but you need to be on Wharfarin for the rest of your life.

I chose Cow, which lasts 10 years and then hoped that technology would improve or otherwise put in a Mechanical one. I wanted 10 good years in which I could do what I want before the 2nd valve replacement.

I did further test and they found I had a 75% blocked artery. LAD that couldnt be stented. So they decided to open me up and do both surgeries, replace the valve + By pass.

The surgeon managed to repair my valve so no artificial one was needed. He said he saw scar tissue and said it was most likely caused by an infection I had as a kid as I have no one in my family with heart issues.

If I didnt have the murmur, I would not know I had a blocked artery. I used to train 5 days a week in kungfu and spar 1 time a week and never was out of breath. I could've dropped one day during sparring.

Since the surgery, all my siblings did ECGs and my sister also had a blocked artery that couldnt be stented and she also had a bypass. She wouldn';t have known either as she had no symptoms.

Black Panther

Juniors
Yeah the 2022 preliminary final I think every Parra fan needed a defibrillator at full-time.

That last 15 mins hanging on was exhausting, nerve-wracking and torture just kept thinking the cows were going to break our hearts with a last minute try.
But happened a week later. Only in the first 15mins.

Eelogical

Referee
I had open heart surgery last year. I have always had a murmur and it was always watch and monitor.

During covid, I stopped visiting the cardiologist for 3 years and 2022 went back and he said it was severe.

I had a leaky Mitral Valve and there was a possibility that I would need a replacement either Pig, Cow or Mechanical.

Mechanical lasts forever but you need to be on Wharfarin for the rest of your life.

I chose Cow, which lasts 10 years and then hoped that technology would improve or otherwise put in a Mechanical one. I wanted 10 good years in which I could do what I want before the 2nd valve replacement.

I did further test and they found I had a 75% blocked artery. LAD that couldnt be stented. So they decided to open me up and do both surgeries, replace the valve + By pass.

The surgeon managed to repair my valve so no artificial one was needed. He said he saw scar tissue and said it was most likely caused by an infection I had as a kid as I have no one in my family with heart issues.

If I didnt have the murmur, I would not know I had a blocked artery. I used to train 5 days a week in kungfu and spar 1 time a week and never was out of breath. I could've dropped one day during sparring.

Since the surgery, all my siblings did ECGs and my sister also had a blocked artery that couldnt be stented and she also had a bypass. She wouldn';t have known either as she had no symptoms.
Life shows no mercy. Thanks for sharing your experiences, mate. It goes to show that nothing much else matters unless you have your health.

Latest posts