What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

since77

Juniors
Yeah I watched the game and watched the Roosters backs run rings around us as well. The front row is crucial and we need an aggressive, big prop no doubt. Also need a good backline to capitalise on what the forwards do.
What exactly did the forwards do yesterday that the backs could capitalise on?!?!?!
Our backline has actually scored some great tries this year. The backs can be improved upon sure, but they're the least of our problems.
Zero point buying a winger when duds like Blake Lawrie are consistently part of the forward pack.
People crying over missing out on Turuva (and yeah I was entirely unenthused over that rumour) is ridiculous when wing is the last position we need to bolster.

thebigredv

First Grade
What exactly did the forwards do yesterday that the backs could capitalise on?!?!?!
Our backline has actually scored some great tries this year. The backs can be improved upon sure, but they're the least of our problems.
Zero point buying a winger when duds like Blake Lawrie are consistently part of the forward pack.
People crying over missing out on Turuva (and yeah I was entirely unenthused over that rumour) is ridiculous when wing is the last position we need to bolster.

All I know is a good back was available for a reasonable price, from a reputable club and we have just lost our best back.

I am not saying we don't need a prop and a hooker and what have you. I say we need to get a winger/fullback to the club asap.

Tell me you first 5 for next year?

1. Sloan - question marks but hope he learns positioning. Allan maybe as back up.
2. Tuipolotu - fringe
3. Suli
4. Bird - past it, one dimensional player
5. Ravalawa

We are asking to be beat.

Forwards are not our only problem.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The game is faster than ever right now.

this demands athletes at the highest level.

The mantra from Flano has continually been “fitter stronger and more athletic”

Flano has continually talked about teams that are athletic.

He mentioned it last night re the Roosters pre game and post game.

He is right. That roosters team is extremely athletic and we have a fair few players who are not.

Bird
Lawrie
Etc

we have to have 17 players that truly create challenges for the opposition via not just smart footy but also athleticism creating chaos, broken play and opportunities.

We still need to renew the list with some more powerful athletes.

that also means 3 or 4 players non athletic players will need to drop out of our best 17

I think we can win 10-12 games this year but that is not what we want. We want 15 plus wins. To do that we need more dynamic and powerful athletic footballers in our best 17.

since77

Juniors
All I know is a good back was available for a reasonable price, from a reputable club and we have just lost our best back.

I am not saying we don't need a prop and a hooker and what have you. I say we need to get a winger/fullback to the club asap.

1. Sloan - question marks but hope he learns positioning. Allan maybe as back up.
2. Tuipolotu - fringe
3. Suli
5. Ravalawa

We obviously need to replace Lomax. Turuva doesn't replace Lomax though.
Agree Bird is not in my starting 13.
But I don't really care about our back 5 next year unless we are on the hunt for a top class centre. Turuva is a winger. We can make do with wingers from within.
Only a competitive forward pack stops what happened yesterday. So my priority is always going to be recruiting elite forwards. Its the place where our deficiencies are most obvious and most easily exploited.
When we lose games, we are beaten in the forwards. I can't remember the last game we lost due to our backs, can you?

Draginzaaar

Bench
We obviously need to replace Lomax. Turuva doesn't replace Lomax though.
Agree Bird is not in my starting 13.
But I don't really care about our back 5 next year unless we are on the hunt for a top class centre. Turuva is a winger. We can make do with wingers from within.
Only a competitive forward pack stops what happened yesterday. So my priority is always going to be recruiting elite forwards. Its the place where our deficiencies are most obvious and most easily exploited.
When we lose games, we are beaten in the forwards. I can't remember the last game we lost due to our backs, can you?
What's this going from side to side crap? We need to go through the middle before we go to the edges.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors

2. Tuipolotu - fringe
3. Suli
5. Ravalawa

I expect another centre will be recruited. Be surprised if Bird is still at Dragons next year

TheRev

First Grade
We will have between 1/3 to 1/2 of our cap available to spend (depending who we re-sign).. we aren't just going after 1 position. Its not like we havent been trying to sign a big name prop.. how we will win them over the dogs or storm however..

What we need first is a recruitment manager given Millard is out of action.. who is on the market I dont know...I think Flanno needs someone in his ear, because its not an option to keep missing players.. were at the point now where we need to start going for left-field, UK, Rugby, Nu Brown type signings.. not good...

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
We will have between 1/3 to 1/2 of our cap available to spend (depending who we re-sign).. we aren't just going after 1 position. Its not like we havent been trying to sign a big name prop.. how we will win them over the dogs or storm however..

What we need first is a recruitment manager given Millard is out of action.. who is on the market I dont know...I think Flanno needs someone in his ear, because its not an option to keep missing players.. were at the point now where we need to start going for left-field, UK, Rugby, Nu Brown type signings.. not good...
With SF knowing that Lomax wanted OUT i will be gobsmacked if he hasnt already had a contingency plan in effect with a high profile player already agreeing or close to terms, as that Players manager agitates with their current Club
He was never that keen on Turiva believing that was a smoke screen .
Am thinking Cobbo or Staggs (Broncs) AJ (Titans)Tallagi (Eels) and even young Chester from the Cows definitely on the Radar
Broncs dont believe that can keep both .....
Most are under Contract so private wheelin n dealing would be taking place
Lets hope
They are going to look awful stupid if nothing has been done

Lomax is on the wing as he did nothing last year as a centre. His stats this year have been his best in first grade..
he is a good winger
I expect Bird won’t last a full season, too injury prone
OK. So where did Lomax play when Bird was out against Warriors?

I agree that Bird is injury prone, but the only way he is out of Flanno's team is if he's injured.

TheRev

First Grade
Lomax can play centre fine, but I dont think he brings much to the table that he doesnt from the wing.. that footwork of his doesnt seem to break the line anymore.. the flick seems gone... he scores his tries either in the air or just running hard into space.

So from a team perspective it matters little which of those 2 positions Lomax plays.. the question is more about Bird vs 'xyz Winger' who strengthens the team most... it is very low on my list of concerns tbh.

Lomax can play centre fine, but I dont think he brings much to the table that he doesnt from the wing.. that footwork of his doesnt seem to break the line anymore.. the flick seems gone... he scores his tries either in the air or just running hard into space.

So from a team perspective it matters little which of those 2 positions Lomax plays.. the question is more about Bird vs 'xyz Winger' who strengthens the team most... it is very low on my list of concerns tbh.
It's an irrelevant discussion, because Bird will be centre when available.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
OK. So where did Lomax play when Bird was out against Warriors?

I agree that Bird is injury prone, but the only way he is out of Flanno's team is if he's injured.
we have been playing better with Bird in the centres and Lomax on the wing.. We have made much more yardage out of the back, and Lomax provides a threat in the air from the wing. Bird is a short term fix, as too slow to make any opportunities in attack and risky in defence.
Yesterday we lost the yardage game from no Suli, no Ravalawa and Lomax from the back. Equally we had no Leilua to create anything, and the Hunt kicking game was pretty ordinary.
Their forwards rolled through ours all day, they had a 7 who created attacking options and multiple repeats sets.

Latest posts