What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings declares himself available for origin

Fibroman

First Grade
One has to ask the question. did he/his manager just throw it out there or was he approached?

I think he is the most exciting attacking player to don the Panthers jersey since Brandy and Freddie.

I think the blues could do alot worse in the centres than Jennings, and the fact that Lyon has declared himself unavailable increases Jennings chances even further.

murraymob

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25335638-5006066,00.html

NRL
Article from:

By Josh Massoud | April 15, 2009 12:00am

0,,6579071,00.jpg
Origin bound ... all Michael Jennings needs now is a pen. Photograph: Brett Costello / The Daily Telegraph

PANTHERS speedster Michael Jennings has doled out plenty of autographs in his short NRL career - and now NSW selectors are desperately hunting his signature. The in-form centre needs to put pen to paper at least one more time to turn his State of Origin dream to reality.
A blistering beacon in Penrith's gloomy run since his 2007 debut, Jennings has support in high places to steal a spot in the Blues backline. All that stands in the 20-year-old's way is the thinnest sliver of red tape.

Although his stunning pace and evasion have captured the attention of Blues selectors, Jennings remains off-limits because he is still technically betrothed to Tonga.
The former Australian Schoolboys prodigy turned out for the Pacific Island nation on the basis of ancestry at last year's World Cup and is still yet to formally change his allegiance.
And with NSW planning to announce a preliminary squad for this year's series on April 29, he only has a fortnight to declare himself eligible.
To do so, Jennings must state in writing which country he wishes to represent. But the relevant field on his 2009 NRL registration form with Penrith mysteriously remains blank.
Told of the situation last night, the St Marys junior confirmed his lifelong desire to wear sky blue.
"I would love to play for NSW. That's definitely what I want to do," he said. "It's such an honour to be even mentioned as a chance."
Although he represented the Australian PM XIII against Papua New Guinea last September, Jennings said he hadn't seriously contemplated an Origin berth.
<li class="story-share"> "I ended up playing for Tonga when I didn't get picked for Australia for the World Cup," he said. "It was great to represent my family's country. After that I just kept the eligibility blank to see what happened.
"But playing Origin is a major goal for me. It's been an ambition of mine since I was a kid."
Jennings has missed just two games since his debut and has already amassed 29 tries, but his form this season has reached another level, starring for a beaten Panthers outfit under the nose of NSW Origin coach Craig Bellamy in Melbourne last Saturday night.
NSWRL boss Geoff Carr confirmed that Jennings would have to change his eligibility in writing to be considered - not only for the Blues preliminary squad, but also the City side on May 8.
Fellow Tongan International Feleti Mateo is in the same boat, while Fiji's World Cup star Jarryd Hayne has already informed Carr of his desire to play Origin this season.
Jennings, who will face off against Joel Monaghan, Matt Cooper and Josh Morris for the Origin jersey, has a perfect chance to state claims against Maroons powerhouse Justin Hodges at CUA Stadium on Friday night.

Fibroman

First Grade
A lot will depend upon whether or not they are looking for a solid defensive centre or someone that can turn nothing into something.

t1tan

Juniors
Not meant to be a slight,but considering the dearth of centres then Jennings would only need to be fit to be considered..but yes he would kill them in SOO.

*Sandy*

First Grade
A lot will depend upon whether or not they are looking for a solid defensive centre or someone that can turn nothing into something.

Wouldn't his stats of being a defensive centre be up there though? I've never seen him shy away from a tackle. He's both in my opinion.

Fibroman

First Grade
I think he might struggle marking up against Hodges in good form, due to the height/fend, but I agree, Jennings hits very hard and can hold his own in defence.

He is only about 5'9 or 5'10 in height, so gives away a bit of reach, but in my opinion more than makes up for it with his pace, step and acceleration.

t1tan

Juniors
I think he might struggle marking up against Hodges in good form, due to the height/fend, but I agree, Jennings hits very hard and can hold his own in defence.

He is only about 5'9 or 5'10 in height, so gives away a bit of reach, but in my opinion more than makes up for it with his pace, step and acceleration.
If they want a defensive centre then pick Delaney.

boxa777

Coach
He is pure dynamite and one of my favourite players in the comp to watch.. He for one will be able to give the slick QLDer backs a taste of their own medicine.

choc_soldier

Coach
Reading the pick your NSW team thread on the Interstate sub-forum, a lot of people have named Jennings as a centre.

I think he's ready. And I think he would kill it.

Sleep

Juniors
He's historically struggled against Hodges so this Friday night is a chance for him to show he can shut him down as well as make him look silly.

I'd absolutely love to see Jennings in the NSW team. I think he's a far better fit than Josh Morris who seems to be his competition for the spot alongside Cooper.

Kilkenny

Coach
Jennings supposed deficiencies in defence are largely overstated and more a consequence of the Panthers overall deficiencies in defence.

Jennings is a naturally strong and capable defender and any issues he has had in the past have largely arisen as a result of our (panthers) poor defense overall.

Playing in SOO with high quality players inside and outside I dont think Jennings would have any issues.

Having said all of the above I will still not be disappointed if he is not selected for SOO for selfish reasons.

Fibroman

First Grade
I think he is a great defender, but his lack of height and reach is an issue is playing against someone like Justin Hodges or Isreal.

maple_69

Bench
If you have a competent winger outside him I think he'd hold his own. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Morris is also quite small, despite being a 'good defensive centre'.
I think Jennings is continuing to improve and has been incredibly consistent in his first years. Throw him on the end of some quality halves and he'd be absolutely devastating.
I agree though, Jennings and Lawrence would set us up nicely for the next few years. We'd see some brilliant halves battles with GI and Hodges/ Jennings and Lawrence.

murraymob

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25420271-5006066,00.html

NRL
Article from:
Jenning says ankle is 'sweet'

0,,6606959,00.jpg
A worry for fans ... Michael Jennings is helped from the field - but announced later his ankle was "sweet". Photograph: Gary Ramage / The Sunday Telegraph

PENRITH 18 CANBERRA 10

PENRITH star Michael Jennings told representative selectors "I'm sweet'' after hurting his ankle in the club's win against Canberra. Panthers coach Matt Elliott finally recorded his first win against his former club, but there were fears it may have cost him and NSW one of the game's most exciting attacking weapons.
Jennings, who scored a dynamic first-half try, was helped from the field three minutes into the second half with an ankle ligament injury. He was unable to return to the field and will have an MRI scan tomorrow to assess the damage.
Jennings said he wanted to come back on to the field, but was prevented by the club doctor. Panthers doctor Norm Southern suspects Jennings has partially torn a central ankle ligament and he could play for Australia or City Origin next Friday night.
But he said Jennings would have risked his entire season if he played on. "He hasn't ruptured it all the way through, but he's torn some fibres, I suspect,'' Dr Southern said. "If he'd gone back on and it tore all the way through, it would have been a season-ending job like Anthony Minichiello.''
Jennings was dejected at not being allowed back on the field. "I was sweet to run back on, but doctors took it too safe. I'll get some rehab on it and hopefully I'll be all right,'' Jennings said.
The Panthers trailed 6-0 early, and not surprisingly Jennings sparked them to life. In a mesmerising piece of footwork, he dumbfound Raiders half Josh McCrone and then left Phil Graham grasping at air on a 20m dash to the line.
The Panthers led 12-6 at the break, when Geoff Daniela scored in the corner. Daniela also sealed the victory, scoring his second try from a Luke Walsh bomb with three minutes to play. But it was Penrth's tireless goal-line defence in the second half that built victory.
Elliott reserved praise for backrower Trent Waterhouse, imploring Australian selectors to pick him.
"I'm not a coach that pumps people's tyres up for rep footy, but if Trent Waterhouse isn't the best backrower in the competition at the moment, I'm a really poor judge,'' Elliott said. "His performance tonight was mind-blowing.''
Raiders centre Joel Monaghan also did his representative ambitions no harm with another strong performance.

Meanwhile, the Raiders defended their decision to bring back forward Trevor Thurling early from a club-imposed suspension.
Thurling was arrested and charged with drink-driving last month after crashing his car in Sydney and blowing double the legal alcohol limit.
Thurling intends to plead guilty when he faces Queanbeyan court on May 11. He missed three games for the Raiders, but was unavailable anyway because of an ankle injury.

Fulltime
PENRITH 18 (G Daniela 2 M Jennings tries J Sammut 3 goals) bt CANBERRA 10 (J Carney 2 tries J Dugan goal) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: S Lyons, Brett Suttor.

m

mxlegend99

Referee
That's great news. Hopefully the selectors don't pick him next week and still consider him for Origin. Would rather him get a full two weeks rest before playing again.

Well the Australian team has been announced and he wasn't selected so (in a selfish way) that's great news for us.

Put your feet up Jenko! Smash those Guppies on May 16th.

mxlegend99

Referee
He was picked for the City team the same night. Hopefully the club doctor doesn't let him play though. If he does anymore damage it could cost him the remainder of the season. I would probably even go as far to rest him against the Sharks the following week. Can't be too safe when it comes to a star player like Jennings.