What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sponsors withdraw - ME Bank, Hostplus and Skins

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
SKINS withdraw Melbourne sponsorship
23 April 2010

SKINS, the world leaders in high performance dynamic gradient compression wear announced today it is withdrawing from its sponsorship of the Melbourne Storm.

“SKINS is appalled by the actions of the Melbourne Storm. Our core values are around fuelling the true spirit of competition. We understand that sometimes you need to give second chances. But this level of systemic deceit is inexcusable and therefore we will not be continuing with our partnership. SKINS salute those who leave their sport better than when they started and respect those who handle themselves both on and off the field with honesty, integrity and class, we no longer see these values reflected by the Melbourne Storm” said Jaimie Fuller, CEO, SKINS International.

SKINS sponsors over 150 athletes and sporting teams in Australia and overseas and see sponsorship as a key component to their marketing strategy. Earlier this month SKINS launched an advertising campaign featuring a number of elite Australian athletes, titled “Cheat Legal”, which plays to the fact that SKINS give you an unfair advantage and challenges cheats to keep up the good work because athletes wearing SKINS need the competition.

“We like to push the boundaries with our marketing and the Cheat Legal campaign does this. And we also like to and will continue to support athletes and sporting teams who share SKINS' values. We believe that when it comes to sport there is a line; a line that you fight tooth and nail to defend, a line that you fight even harder to attack. It's clear that with the Storm's actions they have a different set of values”. said Fuller.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19165

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
"Cheat legal"

"Our core values are around fuelling the true spirit of competition."

Don't blame them for pulling sponsorship, but seriously, that's embarrasing.

Timmah

Staff member
ME Bank withdraw Storm sponsorship

ME Bank scraps Storm sponsorship as others weigh support

CHRIS ZAPPONE
April 23, 2010 - 10:46AM

Corporate sponsors are lining up to dump Melbourne Storm as a partner in the wake of the salary cap scandal, with ME Bank this morning becoming the first to end its arrangement with the NRL club.

And hospitality industry superannuation fund HOST PLUS is also expected to cut links with the Melbourne-based team. Storm chairman Rob Moodie this moring said: "We wouldn't be surprised if they walk away."

ME Bank chief executive Jamie McPhee this morning said the revelations about Storm had forced a rethink: "As an organisation, ME Bank believes in the principles of strong governance, transparency, integrity, and fairness and we seek to ensure that all of our corporate and community partnerships uphold the same values."

In late 2008, ME Bank announced it had signed a three-year "commitment" to Melbourne Storm that was due to begin at the start of the 2009 season. The value of the deal is not know but it was a "material sum," Mr McPhee said.

Storm's website lists 18 corporate sponsors, ranging from News Ltd-owned Herald Sun to the car and motorcycle manufacturer Suzuki.

Channel Nine, Harvey Norman, Gatorade, the City of Melbourne, Coca-Cola-owned Mother and Intercontinental Hotels and Resorts are among the other big sponsors, according to the the club's official website.

KooGa managing director Tyron Brant released a statement this morning that said, in part: "KooGa are shocked and extremely disappointed in the news that alleged former Melbourne Storm Management have led the team and associated parties into such disrepute."

The sportswear company said it was waiting on further information about the salary cap breaches at the NRL club.

Harvey Norman chief Gerry Harvey said the retailers’ sponsorship of the club was not about to change.

“At this stage we don’t have a problem,” he said this morning.

“You’ve got a situation in Melbourne where three to five people were involved in something that was improper but the coach and players and fans know nothing about it.

“You’re really penalising everyone for the action of a few. I don’t see how that’s in the best interests of the sport or anyone.”

He said Harvey Norman was more involved in sponsorship of State of Origin than the Melbourne Storm.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/me-b...ip-as-others-weigh-support-20100423-th24.html

Seems like Skins had little choice under the circumstances considering their "Cheat Legal" marketing campaign.

This is why the club will struggle to survive, not because News will pull the plug.

already losing $5 mill per year plus $1.7 mill in fines - sponsorship money = goodnight Melbourne Storm.

At this rate, the Warriors might be playing the Bears this weekend.

Misanthrope

Staff member
“SKINS is appalled by the actions of the Melbourne Storm. Our core values are around fuelling the true spirit of competition. We understand that sometimes you need to give second chances. But this level of systemic deceit is inexcusable and therefore we will not be continuing with our partnership. SKINS salute those who leave their sport better than when they started and respect those who handle themselves both on and off the field with honesty, integrity and class, we no longer see these values reflected by the Melbourne Storm” said Jaimie Fuller, CEO, SKINS International.

All very ironic given their recent commercials encouraging people to cheat to give Skins' users some competition. Melbourne just took it to heart.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Pfft! Core values my arse. There is one, and one only, core value shared by all businesses: make as much money as possible. Of course they all try all manner of marketing and PR bullsh*t to convince us otherwise, but the only reason Skins (and ME Bank for that matter) are pulling out is because they know it will lose them money to be associated with the Storm after this.

Timmah

Staff member
KooGa is perhaps the most interesting of the lot - if they withdraw, the Storm don't have jerseys to play in or media wear etc... would another manufacturer pick up their contract or would we see them forfeit due to lack of jerseys?

Latest posts