What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

playing ugly

The Engineers Room

First Grade
i looked at the second half the other way: when the warriors threw everything at us we dug deep and held on for the win

When we had the ball we needed to do more with it. Parramatta went into their shell offensively and when you lead 24-6, it is not acceptable to simply hit it up and kick.

There are several ways to create attack, creative halves that exploit weakness in the defence, a go to player that can create their own line breaks (getting them one on one with defenders), interchanges of passes/offloads or using decoy runners and running angles to get ball runners in one on ones.

We can't do the first two, the halves aren't there and we don't have a Greg Inglis etc, so we need to use the ball or get players in motion to create attack. Hit ups and kicking long will not get that done.

eel4life

Juniors
For our performance in Round 1 away from home playing the warriors in front of 38,450 people full of emotion, to have a completion rate of 90% at one stage, getting through the majority of our sets and putting on a couple of nice plays.

capatalising on the mistakes made by the opposition and not relying on the referee to get us out of trouble, making meters, good contributions from the whole team we did not play to our 100% potential bhut we have started well and we can build on this.

new coach has us prepared to do the hard stuff first, we still have the razzle dazzle and that will come in when click, warriors are the offload kings how many did they make? ...

i like what i saw, i am going to back the players because they had a fair dinkum dig, what i have been wanting them to do for so many seasons.

continue to work hard lads which i know you will all the stuff you guys have been working on in the off season will pay off.

I hope this friday night we pack out parra stadium cause they will be focused on this game ... #EELEVEN

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
1 game and we are categorized for the rest of the season ?

long way to go yet

Gordy

Juniors
For our performance in Round 1 away from home playing the warriors in front of 38,450 people full of emotion, to have a completion rate of 90% at one stage, getting through the majority of our sets and putting on a couple of nice plays.

capatalising on the mistakes made by the opposition and not relying on the referee to get us out of trouble, making meters, good contributions from the whole team we did not play to our 100% potential bhut we have started well and we can build on this.

new coach has us prepared to do the hard stuff first, we still have the razzle dazzle and that will come in when click, warriors are the offload kings how many did they make? ...

i like what i saw, i am going to back the players because they had a fair dinkum dig, what i have been wanting them to do for so many seasons.

continue to work hard lads which i know you will all the stuff you guys have been working on in the off season will pay off.

I hope this friday night we pack out parra stadium cause they will be focused on this game ... #EELEVEN

I agree with all of that eel4life especially the bolded bit.

Gordy

Juniors
1 game and we are categorized for the rest of the season ?

long way to go yet

You are correct Twiz. There is a long way to go, but if they continue to play with the same sort of intensity and commitment for the remainder of the year there will be a lot of happy people.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There are several ways to create attack, creative halves that exploit weakness in the defence, a go to player that can create their own line breaks (getting them one on one with defenders), interchanges of passes/offloads or using decoy runners and running angles to get ball runners in one on ones.

We can't do the first two, the halves aren't there and we don't have a Greg Inglis etc

Are you f**king serious?

We have the best line-breaker in the game. Even against 2 or 3 defenders he can break the line; one-on-one he's unstoppable.

i think kearney has told the players to go easy on the offloads for the first few games until they get their rhythm together if they can keep up this defence, hard running and add offloads to it then look out

Eels Dude

Coach
After watching the replay a few times, I can honestly say we are the new Storm.
We play exactly like they do, the two big differences between us and them (based on 2011) being that we have much better forwards and depth but they have the far better players in the 6, 7 and 9.

I don't think that's a good thing at all. You cannot just copy another team's style of play and expect that you'll perform at their same level. You need to have the same quality of player base to do. Kearney seems to be a good coach, but if he was a great coach he'd realise that and adapt our style of players to the style they're capable of, instead of trying to be a one tricky pony like Bellamy who's failed at rep level simply by trying to take his club level tactics into rep footy. There's more than one style of play that sides can play to acheive success... great coaches like Wayne Bennett know this. I hope for our club's sake that Kearney just doesn't try to copy Bellamy and the Storm's structure.

I don't think that's a good thing at all. You cannot just copy another team's style of play and expect that you'll perform at their same level. You need to have the same quality of player base to do. Kearney seems to be a good coach, but if he was a great coach he'd realise that and adapt our style of players to the style they're capable of, instead of trying to be a one tricky pony like Bellamy who's failed at rep level simply by trying to take his club level tactics into rep footy. There's more than one style of play that sides can play to acheive success... great coaches like Wayne Bennett know this. I hope for our club's sake that Kearney just doesn't try to copy Bellamy and the Storm's structure.
i think the eels structure and play style are still works in progress kearney is just trying to go back to basics and get a good foundation of defence and dummy half running there then bring in the offload when we can do it as part of a game plan not just throw the ball around wildly and hope for the best

Eels Dude

Coach
i think the eels structure and play style are still works in progress kearney is just trying to go back to basics and get a good foundation of defence and dummy half running there then bring in the offload when we can do it as part of a game plan not just throw the ball around wildly and hope for the best

That's what I'm hoping for too. It's round 1... all that matters at this stage of the season is getting those 2 competition points as often as we can and build from there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Well he hasn't copied either of their gameplans.

St George uses their fringes a lot more than we did last night, and Melbourne attacks almost exclusively on their fringes.

We were straight up the middle all night except when we got inside the 20. Kearney's really put the brakes on our halves, even more than Bennett has with his.

Hell, even Hayne looks like he's been put on a leash. Expect that to change as the season wears on though.

parra pete

Referee
From someone on the outside looking in, I thought Danny Mortimer had a good game.
Fancy people who rate T Smith bagging him?????? I reckon that is hilarious.....

overall Pete everybody played well, to bag one player in a team that dominated for 65mins is crazy. as you said Morts played well like every other player in blue and gold.

lingard

Coach
Next week will really tell us if the Eels have turned the corner because firstly they will start favs and secondly there will be a huge crowd.

Parra are hopeless as favs and hopeless playing in front of big home crowds,this should be interesting

The crowd yesterday was 38, 000. I`d call that a big home crowd.

eels81236

Bench
The Warriors enabled us to dominate posession. We scored three tries off kicks. They lost Manu early. We were lucky that Fishiani has hands like a fish. In the end it was the right result because they didn't deserve to win and we put ouselves in position to punish their mistakes. Commitment rather than execution won that game for us.

I think it's risky to praise the good performers yet gloss over the lesser performers just because we beat the Warriors first up.

lingard

Coach
You know, I think Etu and Morgan will only continue to improve from here on out and I wouldn't disagree with both of them being picked over Reddy and Whatuira next week. Sure they were suspect defensively but they covered well when you really think about how much was thrown at them.

Etu made a lot of metres with each of his runs, he's definitely not a very defensive-minded winger. Morgan made some good metres on his hit-ups too, didn't do too much work in attack but this will improve if he is given more game-time.

Still, I guess Kearney will be looking to improve our defence on the edge and what better way than to bring Whatuira and Reddy in? Whether that means have Whats and Reddy both on one side (Reddy to wing) as direct replacements or moving Whats to the left centre and moving Walker to right wing, I guess we will see.

C`mon, mate. Joel Reddy has been our best and most consistent centre for the past three years. As soon as he`s fit, he`s in. And I didn`t see the trials, but most reports suggest that Whatuira was our best centre. So it seems a no-brainer - our centres will be Reddy and Whatuira. Burt on one wing and the other wing spot is up for grabs.