What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

playing ugly

eels81236

Bench
Patience.

The kid's still learning.

He has just proven that he is able to take on what others say, think about it, and then form an opinion looking at both sides of the argument.

More than I can say for a lot of people on this forum.

In that case then...

You have two ears, two eyes and one mouth. Use them in proportion. ;-)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If we played Ugly tonight it's scary to think what we played like last year :crazy: Our first 60 mins was almost flawless IMO. We made a few mistakes and let a very good team back in but we did well to hold them of at the end. PS Morts was our worst player by a mile.

MrT

Juniors
Get use to this style of play only we'll look to execute better in future. With the halves we have there is no other way to play. I'm just glad Kearney is a good coach and realises this.

I thought we'd get murdered in the backs. We did get exposed a few times but when you consider that backline tonight, I don't think I have seen a weaker one in years and that's no disrespect to the players as Morgan was making he's debut and did OK and Walker was playing out of position. With Reddy, Whatuira and Hicks to come in, that should ensure out backline operates better. Time will tell.

That was a brilliant victory when you consider many experts tippin gWarriors as a darkhorse chance for the title. I know it's only round 1 but people have said for our last 2 trials that they were only trials aswell.

After 8 rounds we should be able to see if we're a genuine chance to make the 8

TheParraboy

Staff member
If we played Ugly tonight it's scary to think what we played like last year :crazy: Our first 60 mins was almost flawless IMO. We made a few mistakes and let a very good team back in but we did well to hold them of at the end. PS Morts was our worst player by a mile.

word

Hopefully young Daniel keeps away from the media this coming week, and weeks ahead. I dont really want to hear anything he has to say, but rather (fingers crossed) see him improve week by week in a winning side :cool:. I dont think SK will afford him the luxury of lots of weeks in the top 17 if there isnt gradual improvement

We are playing ugly because Mortimer is sh*t but trust me I saw wenty play yesterday and they were pretty bad.

Brad Murray was inept. Mortimer is our only option at the moment unfortunately.

Stagger eel

Staff member
We are playing ugly because Mortimer is sh*t but trust me I saw wenty play yesterday and they were pretty bad.

Brad Murray was inept. Mortimer is our only option at the moment unfortunately.

OMG! wasn't Murray awful??? #-o

unless you want to throw one of the hookers at 6 there isn't another option at least Morts has the mental toughness to compete at the level despite his execition being f**ked..Murray is as placid as a Penis in a Rosanne Arnold convention.

Whether you win ugly or pretty, the value of 2 points is still the same.

Exactly. But it was tough and hard footy - all the players really worked hard for everything.

As for Mortimer, give it time. But if it doesn't work, McGuire was a half prevously and could easily play 6, considering we have Mitchell and Keating as hookers.

boxhead

First Grade
After watching the replay a few times, I can honestly say we are the new Storm.
We play exactly like they do, the two big differences between us and them (based on 2011) being that we have much better forwards and depth but they have the far better players in the 6, 7 and 9.

You watch how the Storm play and how we played, and though we lacked in execution off the plays the Storm use (because of our weaker halves), we looked about the same.
First four plays in every set was just pass from dummy half to a hit up, or the occassional dummy-half run from an outside back on the second and third.
Our defence was brilliant but shaky on the edges, which is fair considering how good the Warriors are on the edges.

The wrestle in the tackle, slowing the play the ball down, and conversely controlling the pace of the game through our hooker - who passed like a bullet out of dummy-half and got some rapid fire play the balls from our forwards. Very risk-free footy with a very simple and effective game-plan.

Bigfella

Coach
I agree. I think the warriors would have beaten most of the sides I saw go around so far this weekend.

A great performance.

Allgod played better last night than I have seen cayless play in the last few seasons.having genuine props going forward tough made so much more room for hindy who actually galloped over the advantage line.

And having the dummy half play flat meant that put entire attack went forward. It will be so much easier to play 6 and 7 within this structure than the lst fiver years.

It also suits Hayne to a tee.

I haven't seen a coach improve us so much and he's done it in one off season. I had a good feeling about things but that was astonishing. I suspect names won't mean much this year and players will stand up from unexpected places.

boxhead

First Grade
Yeah definitely agree Bigfella. We've already seen Allgood have an outstanding debut and Morgan with a solid debut, these being two rookies who weren't even being talked about in the same breath as O'Hanlon, Loko, Brien, etc a month or so ago.

All of our new or inexperienced players were good.

as placid as a Penis in a Rosanne Arnold convention.
You are on the ball this morning.
Where do you get them from.
I told Big League mag thier match day guide was like Britney Spears, looks good but not user friendly.
Make sure you pass your comment onto Brad Murray next time you see him, sure to get a laugh.

boxhead

First Grade
You know, I think Etu and Morgan will only continue to improve from here on out and I wouldn't disagree with both of them being picked over Reddy and Whatuira next week. Sure they were suspect defensively but they covered well when you really think about how much was thrown at them.

Etu made a lot of metres with each of his runs, he's definitely not a very defensive-minded winger. Morgan made some good metres on his hit-ups too, didn't do too much work in attack but this will improve if he is given more game-time.

Still, I guess Kearney will be looking to improve our defence on the edge and what better way than to bring Whatuira and Reddy in? Whether that means have Whats and Reddy both on one side (Reddy to wing) as direct replacements or moving Whats to the left centre and moving Walker to right wing, I guess we will see.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree. I think the warriors would have beaten most of the sides I saw go around so far this weekend.

A great performance.

Allgod played better last night than I have seen cayless play in the last few seasons.having genuine props going forward tough made so much more room for hindy who actually galloped over the advantage line.

And having the dummy half play flat meant that put entire attack went forward. It will be so much easier to play 6 and 7 within this structure than the lst fiver years.

It also suits Hayne to a tee.

I haven't seen a coach improve us so much and he's done it in one off season. I had a good feeling about things but that was astonishing. I suspect names won't mean much this year and players will stand up from unexpected places.
Couldn't agree more, Allgood on debut was brilliant. And Mannah was a beast, he should have been starting last year ahead of Cayless and Poore. By the end of the year he will be one of the top 3 props in the game IMO. And Mcguire made a huge difference, its amazing what some quick service from dummy half can do :crazy:

spiderdan

Bench
Very solid first up performance to build on.

It should have been a bigger margin (could have sworn we got 5 tries but left the room after one and didnt pay attention to the scoreboard so don't know which one was called back plus robson's tap back when Morgan? Had the kick from the last warriors try covered).

Basically there are a lot of new faces in that side learning their fit in the team plus our core players from last year needing to unlearn how they played before to suit what Kearney wants. So to me was very good for about 60-65 mins.

On Mortimer, he looked better in the way that he actually started to take on the defence with support runners following him. He still can't kick to save himself though. Don't know how every one of his long kicks manages to consistently find an opposition player.

boxhead

First Grade
Couldn't agree more, Allgood on debut was brilliant. And Mannah was a beast, he should have been starting last year ahead of Cayless and Poore. By the end of the year he will be one of the top 3 props in the game IMO. And Mcguire made a huge difference, its amazing what some quick service from dummy half can do :crazy:

The thing I noticed was that the play-the-balls's of our forwards were incredibly quick, and the service from dummy-half from both Mcguire and Keating was bullet-quick.
It's no surprise we dominated them for most of the game.

Latest posts