What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Cleary

I thought Cleary was good tonight, used the interchange well come up with a decent game plan and it was executed well. Job well done

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Fair point, but the one point I'd note there is he had halves that got them to one game away from a GF-Only to be thrashed by the team who was not going to lose to anyone (remember the GF score the following week?), and their answer was to release both of them.

Would disagree that it was the halves that got us there. They played their part, but in my recollection were in no way the main reason for us getting as close as we did. Was more to do with consistent defense and the ability to grind out wins/outwork the opposition (& of course, Manu) as I recall it.

Have absolutely no qualms with letting Witt go. His track record speaks for itself. IMO, Fein is not an overly good half, though it would have been nice to retain him. I get where you're coming from re the way both left, but as the lack of a genuine quality consistent half is what I think the club has missed the most, can't say I saw either of those players as being essential to keep.

Martli

Coach
Can't forget Witt's Goal Kicking though. He was pretty good, always going to be an advantage when the majority of your tries are 6 pointers. He was also quite good at taking penalty kicks for touch; most guys would gain about 10-15m whereas he'd consistently be going for 20-30m gains.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Would disagree that it was the halves that got us there. They played their part, but in my recollection were in no way the main reason for us getting as close as we did. Was more to do with consistent defense and the ability to grind out wins/outwork the opposition (& of course, Manu) as I recall it.

Have absolutely no qualms with letting Witt go. His track record speaks for itself. IMO, Fein is not an overly good half, though it would have been nice to retain him. I get where you're coming from re the way both left, but as the lack of a genuine quality consistent half is what I think the club has missed the most, can't say I saw either of those players as being essential to keep.

I'd agree it wasn't the halves predominantly who got us there, but they were a part of it (as you say)

It's obvious the recruitment was piss poor. Buy Foran and never even give him half a run in the Vulcans, buy Stacey and hitch your wagon completely to elderly legs that hadn't played for 2 seasons, buy a winger then leave him to catch influenza out wide.

I just don't see us buying quality players in the positions we need them in. We desperately need a star centre - we stick Berrigan there and move Mannering (injuries played a part I know). We need props, we convert Lillyman and buy nothing - and also move guys on.

It just seems to me like if someone's available, no matter whether we need his ilk or not, we chase him.

Iafeta

Referee
RE: Foran. As I understand it he just never produced, for the Vulcans or in training. It doesn't surprise me... its been what 18-24 months on and he's yet to play first grade anywhere else either. I think they were trying a lot of different options at that time, you have to remember they'd been turned down by like 5-6 halves... they just wouldn't come to the Warriors. So they took a punt on a Junior Kiwi who was never ready and hasn't been ready for first grade since.

If I was in charge of recruitment for 2011, I'd be going for a centre and then a prop. The backrow looks fine, the wingers I think are good, Fisiiahi and Locke should be fighting for fullback, I'd like to see faith shown to Godinet and Johnson coming through in the halves... The props were wicked last night, but a good hard prop with a good consistent motor would compliment their raw inconsistency well.

One thing that has been pleasing, despite results... Locke, Fisiiahi, Packer, Matulino, Taylor, Mara, Tupou... all from the U20s and all have played good roles this year. They do look to be making a genuine attempt to bring U20s through. Hopefully last night Locke started to turn the corner because he has star written all over him.

Rich102

Staff member
RE: Foran. As I understand it he just never produced, for the Vulcans or in training. It doesn't surprise me... its been what 18-24 months on and he's yet to play first grade anywhere else either. I think they were trying a lot of different options at that time, you have to remember they'd been turned down by like 5-6 halves... they just wouldn't come to the Warriors. So they took a punt on a Junior Kiwi who was never ready and hasn't been ready for first grade since.

If I was in charge of recruitment for 2011, I'd be going for a centre and then a prop. The backrow looks fine, the wingers I think are good, Fisiiahi and Locke should be fighting for fullback, I'd like to see faith shown to Godinet and Johnson coming through in the halves... The props were wicked last night, but a good hard prop with a good consistent motor would compliment their raw inconsistency well.

One thing that has been pleasing, despite results... Locke, Fisiiahi, Packer, Matulino, Taylor, Mara, Tupou... all from the U20s and all have played good roles this year. They do look to be making a genuine attempt to bring U20s through. Hopefully last night Locke started to turn the corner because he has star written all over him.

Totally agree.

nibbs

Bench
I wish I could start a F.O. ozbash, and a F.O. skinner thread without being accused of a personal attack. Your opinions make as much sense as those put to us by Lavina Good.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
You enjoy people thinking you are clueless dickheads? Especially you who tries to act all high and mighty and like you have inside information

ozbash

Referee
maybe, but the fact that he's right more often than not, gets up the younger members noses.

which is entertainment itself..

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Definitely have to praise the U20-NRL transformation ratio - but I wonder how much of that is Tony Iro and how much is Ivan Cleary. Obviously Cleary has to pick them..

Shame to see James Graham snapped up, incidentally. I hope we made a strong play for him.

Who would we throw up as propping/centre names out of interest? I agree they are the prime targets, but names escape me without a list of off-contract players.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
maybe, but the fact that he's right more often than not, gets up the younger members noses.

which is entertainment itself..

Are you serious? He makes these general vague statements like and then when most of them are wrong he never mentions them again. I reckon I could go through his posts if I wanted and find a good 50-60 posts talking about contracts etc which have been wrong. And the other thousands are bagging the Warriors management.

Latest posts