What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes

boxhead

First Grade
Despite being bitterly disappointed, I feel like our team, despite having the worst roster in the competition, is doing very well to compete with teams like the Dragons and Manly. It may only be that lack of ability to finish a game that cost us tonight - well several things cost us tonight really.

Regardless, if you were the coach, what changes would you make?
I would only make one to this team.

OUT: Carl Webb
IN: Reni Maitua

I don't know why Kearney never gives Webb any minutes, if he's not going to be used that much, then he may as well be the player to make way for Maitua. We all know Maitua is going to be playing first-grade in a small amount of time, it's just a question of who makes way for him.

Thoughts? I don't like dropping players, but Maitua could prove to be the killer instinct that we lack to finish games. If his form from Wentworthville even marginally carries over, he could prove to be very important to the team.

natheel

Coach
I think that would b the logical change IMO but wouldn't b surprised if there are no changes tbh

boxhead

First Grade
I just don't understand the point of having a player on the bench if he only plays very limited minutes. And going off what a few people said about Reni and Kearney at Ringrose on Sunday, I would be very surprised if Reni isn't named.

boxhead

First Grade
Also have to say this somewhere, Loko is an absolute freak. In 10 runs he made 7 tackle-busts, he didn't get his usual metres (he had 85, which is still good) but he did a lot of hard work.

For a 19 year old who hasn't even played NSW Cup in his life, he's been plucked straight from the NYC and is really coming of age. It really is frightening to think what he could be in a few years time.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm looking forward to Poore returning (rd 16 right?) - in time he'll take Allgood's spot.
Allgood has worked hard, but Poore is a class above, more impact running the ball and so solid around that ruck in defence.

If we can win a couple of games I'd like to see Webb's minutes increased over the back half of the season.

Oh - and I don't think we have the worst roster in the NRL - just the worst halfback by a LONG way. It makes a huge difference at the end of our sets of 6.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think it would start as you said but I reckon over a few weeks it will change to

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Loko
4. Morgan
5. Walker
6. Casey
7. Robson
8. Fui
9. MK
10. Mannah
11. Hindy
12. Matua
13. Smith

14. Horo
15. Allgood
16. Shack
17. Lasalo --- Poore when fit

I think Walker adds more value than atkins.

I am not a morgan fan yet although good chase to cut matai down but bad decision not to pass to atkins when he was in the clear. But he's young and there's noone else so atkins to go.

boxhead

First Grade
I'm looking forward to Poore returning (rd 16 right?) - in time he'll take Allgood's spot.
Allgood has worked hard, but Poore is a class above, more impact running the ball and so solid around that ruck in defence.

If we can win a couple of games I'd like to see Webb's minutes increased over the back half of the season.

Oh - and I don't think we have the worst roster in the NRL - just the worst halfback by a LONG way. It makes a huge difference at the end of our sets of 6.

Our roster across the park, even in the forwards, is mostly composed of either no-name players or players who have yet to make a name for themselves. A credit to Kearney, he has brought in quite a few rookies during a year which is clearly a rebuilding one, and we are seeing the benefits of that with a few of them; Lasalo, Loko and Allgood in particular.

It was always going to be tough with our roster, the only place where we have it other quite a few other teams is the forward pack.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think Webb would be better than Allgood. However, he doesn't look very fit.

I think he can add alot of value as he pops balls up (e.g. to Fui) and is tough and experience.

However, the fitness and his weight will lead to his downfall.

I would not have had Webb on for more time last night either as the game was in the balance and a lack of fitness and poor lateral movement in defence could've cost us more.

Gronk

Staff member
I think Webb would be better than Allgood. However, he doesn't look very fit.

I think he can add alot of value as he pops balls up (e.g. to Fui) and is tough and experience.

However, the fitness and his weight will lead to his downfall.

I would not have had Webb on for more time last night either as the game was in the balance and a lack of fitness and poor lateral movement in defence could've cost us more.

I don't think that Carl has it in him to lean up. Comparing him to the old school props left in the game, he's not as mobile as Rose or Weyman. I think he'll drift off to ESL or retirement once Poore forces his way into the 17.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's only an opinion that we have the worst roster in the competition. I don't think we do. Some fans just use that as an excuse for why we are going so poorly this year.

But I agree Boxy. The use of Webb confuses me. Same with the 'Billy Rogers Experiment'. There's no use playing a forward for a 10 minute stint. Better off adding Maitua whgo can add spark in a short stint late in the game.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Our roster across the park, even in the forwards, is mostly composed of either no-name players or players who have yet to make a name for themselves. A credit to Kearney, he has brought in quite a few rookies during a year which is clearly a rebuilding one, and we are seeing the benefits of that with a few of them; Lasalo, Loko and Allgood in particular.

It was always going to be tough with our roster, the only place where we have it other quite a few other teams is the forward pack.

I don't think our roster across the park is made up mostly of unkowns. The backs apart from Hayne and Burt are not big names, but its obvious that Loko is going to be a superstar.

We have the worst halfback in the competition. By moving Maguire to 5/8 we have weakened a strength to strengthen a weakness. But so far so good.

Our forward pack is one of the better ones in the comp. It has Fui (NZ international); Hindy (NSW & Aust); Poore (NSW - ok he's injured now); Mannah (NSW); and even Webb who plays very few minutes was a Qld rep. The pack is rounded out by up and coming players Horo, Allgood and Lasalo and solid old timers Smith and Shackleton. As forward packs go at club level that is pretty good.

And MK has been in good form recently too.

If this team had a dominant halfback it would be in the top 8. The reality is that we have wasted two seasons 2010 and 2011 because we have had poor halves.

Springs

First Grade
You can say we have the worst halfback in the comp but he has played all over his five-eighth in the last month. McGuire is great but he was better at hooker.

But no, just blame everything on the halves like always. It's all their fault. Everyone else plays just damn perfect every week!

Delboy

First Grade
Robson is not a bad 7, he is just not a good one. He gives 100% every game, but in that telling period when he has to run or react quickly at the end of a set, it is mostly rocks - not many diamonds.

Unfortunately, he is the best we have, and the reason he gets criticised is the reason he is really a back up 7.

Eels Dude

Coach
Robson is not a bad 7, he is just not a good one. He gives 100% every game, but in that telling period when he has to run or react quickly at the end of a set, it is mostly rocks - not many diamonds.

Unfortunately, he is the best we have, and the reason he gets criticised is the reason he is really a back up 7.

Good sides adapt to the halves they have. If Sandow suffers a season ending injury in pre season next year do we sit back and say "oh well" let's look forward to 2013. It doesn't work that way. The whole side have to take responsiblity for the results, and the coach does too. Sitting back and saying "oh well we don't have the halves" is quite lame.

DeanPay98

Juniors
You can say we have the worst halfback in the comp but he has played all over his five-eighth in the last month. McGuire is great but he was better at hooker.

But no, just blame everything on the halves like always. It's all their fault. Everyone else plays just damn perfect every week!

I don't know if you've watched Sandow play for the Rabbits or any of the other halves in the comp but if you have then you should see a big difference.

Robson's kicking game determines where the opposition gets the ball. By kicking direct to the man he allows them to attack with momentum. His attacking kicks are poor.

Last year we were good in getting up the field. We just couldn't finish attacking plays. That came down directly to the halves -- Robson and Mortimer.

The criticism has been warranted. It was ok in 2009 when Robson was the third choice half but in 2010 and 2011 he's been the first choice (due to poor recruitment).

There is a reason as to why Hayne has played more of a playmaker role this season.

Given that McGuire was doing well at hooker and he's only at 5/8 because of Mortimer's problem I think he can be spared some criticism.

Parraren

Bench
Our right side centre/wing combination really needs to be looked at.

I don't want to hammer Morgan/Atkins too much because they give 100% but you can just see they really struggle to take advantage of the space Hayne has been creating for them.

I don't understand why Walker was dropped after the Cronulla & Knights games.

I thought he linked up really well with Hayne and gave us some real speed and strike on our right side. Looked dangerous.

With Reni likely to be coming back into the side i'd seriously consider moving Horo into the centres.

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Loko
4. Horo
5. Walker
6. Casey
7. Robbo
8. Mannah
9. Keating
10. Fui
11. Hindy
12. Lasalo
13. Smith

14. Reni
15. Shack
16. Allgood
17. Webb (Poore when fit)

Bigfella

Coach
I think he might come in for lassalo who hasn't had much impact lately.

Otherwise Webb, on the basis that reni may struggle to play many minutes at this stage.