What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA trade type scenario in NRL?

Grapple

Bench
I imagine this has already been talked about on here at some point but...

Seeing as teams like The Titans and Eels are stuggling, do you think it would be good for the game or struggling teams if there was a trade window - Where teams could do straight swaps for similar players and/or multi trade type scenarios until say, a trade deadline in the end of May/June.

A basic example - trading Luke Bailey, Myles (and perhaps a tackling coach) to Parra; for Hindmarsh and MoiMoi (and perhaps an attacking coach).

Teams with massive depth in the forwards but no depth (or skill) in the backs could potentially trade forwards for backs and vice versa. Teams would obviously take on the existing contracts if they could fit under the salary cap. (or in a different set of books if you play in Melbourne;-))
Potentially could give players not getting game time, (Inu, Fishiashi) a starting role in a team lacking attack or players that are fed up and/or sick of losing (Hindmarsh, Scott Prince) a fresh start.

It does make the NBA exciting to see trades potentially change the face of the team mid-season and rejuvenate franchises - see The Boston Celtics.
But it can also be frustrating to see players you like being traded, and sometimes shipped out a number of times in their career - moved around like a pawn on a chessboard. Whether or not this would work in the NRL i'm not sure...

Thoughts?

DC_fan

Coach
To be honest I don't like the idea of having a "trade window" mid season. I:D

For mine the so called window should occur at the end of the season.

CapitalRaider

Juniors
I like the idea but I prefer the idea of an off season "window"

something about mid-season swaps just doesn't sit right with me

eozsmiles

Bench
I like the idea of trades or loans but it kind of goes against what most RL fans want ie limited player movement.

There is a higher rate of attrition in our game than something like the NBA. An NRL club can use 30+ players in a year, and therefore value their depth. 17 players take the field in a footy game and all play. In basketball teams sometimes only use 7 players out of their 12. We also play games when rep players are unavailable and these fringe 1st graders are often signed by clubs to play at this time of year. So while there are clubs that suffer injuries and would want to trade someone in, there will be teams to scared to give away players in case they need them later on. Like the Warriors with the fish and Inu - they'd love to be playing 1st grade but the Warriors know that an injury or two brings them straight into the 1st team.

One reason that fans might like it is that it speeds up the salary cap cycle. Instead of spending 2-3 years building into a premiership force, a club can trade for an important piece and become a contender almost overnight. If the Dogs need a half they could trade for Foran now and send a couple of props and juniors to Manly. Dogs instantly become a better chance this year. Manly get a couple of pieces they are going to need soon.

I can't see the RLPA being interested though. They deal with the salary cap and that is as much restraint as they'll take.

Imagine a situation like Foran now. If Manly realise that he is going to leave they could trade him and get some quality in return. Foran ends up at Souths where doesn't want to be and won't sign a deal longer than 1 year. So the club he ends up at will either move him on again or run the risk of free agency. Like the Dwight Howard situation in the NBA, if nobody can give him what he wants then nobody is going to get what they want. He wouldn't sign with LA for more than a year, won't sign with Orlando for more than a year. The clubs and player are left in some limbo.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Id love it
the idea that the raiders could send someone like Josh McCrone to a club who needs a half in return for a reasonable hooker would be fantastic
never going to happen in NRL though

Imagine a situation like Foran now. If Manly realise that he is going to leave they could trade him and get some quality in return. Foran ends up at Souths where doesn't want to be and won't sign a deal longer than 1 year. So the club he ends up at will either move him on again or run the risk of free agency. Like the Dwight Howard situation in the NBA, if nobody can give him what he wants then nobody is going to get what they want. He wouldn't sign with LA for more than a year, won't sign with Orlando for more than a year. The clubs and player are left in some limbo.

Yes, but players can have no-trade clauses in their contracts. Or alternatively try to set up a sign and trade, where the player gets traded with a new contract.

I really like the idea of a trading in the NRL, I could imagine the Sea Eagles trying to shift players this year to make room for everyone.

Disco

Bench
Technically this can be done at the moment can it not? (before June 30 that is)

I mean didnt Manly and the cowboys basically do this with Farrar and Bani a few years back?

firechild

First Grade
Technically this can be done at the moment can it not? (before June 30 that is)

I mean didnt Manly and the cowboys basically do this with Farrar and Bani a few years back?

Exactly, it can already be done but generally clubs and/or players are not keen to move midseason. The Farrar/Bani trade was good for everyone because Manly needed a FB, Cowboys weren't playing Farrar in FG, Farrar is from Sydney and Bani from NQ.

Eels Dude

Coach
Exactly, it can already be done but generally clubs and/or players are not keen to move midseason. The Farrar/Bani trade was good for everyone because Manly needed a FB, Cowboys weren't playing Farrar in FG, Farrar is from Sydney and Bani from NQ.

Exactly. There's nothing stopping clubs from doing it now. It'll hardly ever happen though, because you need to come to an agreement between all four parties, the two clubs involved as well as the two players, and that is highly unlikely most of the time.

Grapple

Bench
I like the idea of trades or loans but it kind of goes against what most RL fans want ie limited player movement.

There is a higher rate of attrition in our game than something like the NBA. An NRL club can use 30+ players in a year, and therefore value their depth. 17 players take the field in a footy game and all play. In basketball teams sometimes only use 7 players out of their 12. We also play games when rep players are unavailable and these fringe 1st graders are often signed by clubs to play at this time of year. So while there are clubs that suffer injuries and would want to trade someone in, there will be teams to scared to give away players in case they need them later on. Like the Warriors with the fish and Inu - they'd love to be playing 1st grade but the Warriors know that an injury or two brings them straight into the 1st team.

One reason that fans might like it is that it speeds up the salary cap cycle. Instead of spending 2-3 years building into a premiership force, a club can trade for an important piece and become a contender almost overnight. If the Dogs need a half they could trade for Foran now and send a couple of props and juniors to Manly. Dogs instantly become a better chance this year. Manly get a couple of pieces they are going to need soon.

I can't see the RLPA being interested though. They deal with the salary cap and that is as much restraint as they'll take.

You make some good points.

I appreciate the Dwight Howard comparison, one i've had my eye on for quite some time. The downside is potentially seeing another Dwight in the NRL taking attention away from the game with endless trade rumours - but this is clearly already happening (DCE). The other side of the coin is imagine what DCE (like Howard) could be traded for? Teams could give up two or three decent pieces for him.

But even with the example of Fish' and Inu... it's great the Warriors have cover but the organization knows that they can't stay there for ever as reserves and the players will also know their value is going down or stagnating, with no game time.

Obviously there will still be the same player numbers at clubs, but the good players will get instant NRL experience and NRL fans will see their talent immediately. It will also be a good benchmark for older players to work against, and not rest on their experience.

I also see it as a good thing for growth in the grades below - players can be rewarded with performance in under 20's by instant transfer to first grade via trade or bench spots - rather than wait a year or so training with the team or waiting for injuries to the run on squad, like the Bulldogs with Jackson, Finucane, Taupau etc... and Warriors massive squad depth. When the game has so much young talent waiting around the only positives I can see to this is strengthening the team bond and backups for injury. But as a fan, i'd rather just watch them on the field for any club than not at all.

As for it already happening in the NRL, perhaps it does happen rarely, but I never see any mention of it in regards to Salary Cap or contracts like it's always mentioned in the NBA?

applesauce

Bench
NRL clubs remind me on children.

They will not want a toy (Player) and put it on the ground (plays back in ressies).Then another kid comes along and picks up the toy and asks can he play with it only for the first kid to snatch the toy off them and say "I was playing with that".

They see another club shows interest so they think then the player must offer something. So they sit on them though in order to prevent the other club benefiting.

Works in the NBA because players have to buy into a system and chemistry is such a huge part in success. NRL is more based on skill and teams have more players to share a given load. If two players are about the same level there are not as many intangibles that seperate the two.

Latest posts