What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Children at NRL games

thorson1987

Coach
For those of you with kids, how old we're they when you took them to their first NRL game.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my boy to his first game at penrith in a few weeks. (he turns 3 the weekend after)

bottle

Coach
He won't get the game, but it's a day out with his dad. How can than that ever be a bad thing?

Snappy

Coach
I first took my boy when he was three. Just dont expect to be able to watch the game like you normally would. Try to get seats near the front so he can high-five the mascots ect

Snappy

Coach
Last year we took my younger son who was only 18 months at the time. It was a nightmare, and I nsaid to the missus im not taking him again til he's at least three.

Snappy

Coach
Is there a Hill at Penrith ? That would help as young kids dont like sitting still for that long.

thorson1987

Coach
He won't get the game, but it's a day out with his dad. How can than that ever be a bad thing?

He understands the game alright. Always sits with me and watches on TV. Even commentates.
Also watches me when I play.

I first took my boy when he was three. Just dont expect to be able to watch the game like you normally would. Try to get seats near the front so he can high-five the mascots ect

Yeah I was thinking that.

I first went to the Broncos when I was 6 and even then I barely understood it. Before that tho, I used to go to a lot of Wynnum games apparently. I don't remember it tho.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Took my daughter when a couple of times last year when she was one. Just sat right up the back away from crowds at AAMI Park. She screamed like crazy at the cheering but was all good, just gave her heaps of snacks.

Wouldn't take her now though. We'll be taking the newborn to the Origin game this year but will leave the girl in the car with the window slightly down. Apparently it's the done thing amongst Crown parents here in Victoria.

juro

Bench
I'm planning on taking my kids to their first game this weekend. My boy is almost 5 but my girl is only 17 months. I'm hoping I won't regret it...

BF

Juniors
i started my son at 2... he is 5 this year. He still doesnt get it, but the love of the dragons is now ingrained in him.. he even knows how to sing 'oh when the saints'...

i think start them young, 2-3 is probably a good age but make sure you have enough food, drinks etc to keep them occupied and probably a phone or Nintendo to also keep them busy

firechild

First Grade
Took my son last year when he was about 16 months. Sat on the family hill at Brookie but it was a big crowd so we didn't get much space. I will probably take him to a game or 2 this year but only on Sunday afternoons.

newman

First Grade
My friends regularly bring their rugrats (ages 0-3) to Sharks games. In fact, my good mate took his most recent to a game when it was like 2 months old.

Thats one of the advantages of having a hill, having a bit of space and having a stadium in a suburban area. If things get too hard, Mum can just piss off home.

user_nat

Coach
Took my daughter when a couple of times last year when she was one. Just sat right up the back away from crowds at AAMI Park. She screamed like crazy at the cheering but was all good, just gave her heaps of snacks.

Wouldn't take her now though. We'll be taking the newborn to the Origin game this year but will leave the girl in the car with the window slightly down. Apparently it's the done thing amongst Crown parents here in Victoria.

This explains so many things.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I took my daughter when she was young, biggest problem in all seriousness you might find is allowing the game to distract you to such an extent that you will forget your son is there. That is why I took the wife as well. Just said to her " you never take an interest in what I am interested in", did the trick.

The other thing is, you grow another set of ears so to speak and things that you just let go through to the keeper you all of a sudden become very conscious of, well I did anyway.

Packy

Bench
My lad is 2 and I wouldn't take him anywhere near the football. He's be likely to jump the fence and steal the ball.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
If you're going to Penrith Park and hitting up the hill, make sure you go to the non-alcohol section. They used to have jumping castles and face painting at the other end, didn't see any at the Dogs game but they may have it still.

Dakink

Bench
Took my twins girls to their first game when they were 3. Had a ball and didnt annoy anyone around us, having said that it was a packed Suncorp for the Dragons v Titans game.

They loved every minute of the atmosphere and still talk about it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was great to see so many kids at nib on Friday night, I was giving out Bring Back The Reds flags to as many as I could and they seemed to be having a great time with Reggie Rabbit and flags etc. and ranged from 6month old in prams upwards.

One thing I would like to see is every stadium have a proper family stand or section, dirt cheap family tickets for this area, alcohol free, get some jnr mascots walking around this area, sponsored free give aways for kids in that section etc etc. Would encourage more families at games and create a long lasting positive memory for the fans of tomorrow.