What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Service Salary Cap Discount?

Disco

Bench
Can someone give me a run down on the Long service cap excemption.

I read an article the other day saying Minichello would qualify to have 300k excempt under the cap (not saying he is on that much) and that Perrett qualifies for something similiar.

Now i now there is a ten year rule, but how much and how many players can qualify?

Dragon2010

First Grade
I believe it's $100,000 and three(?) players are allowed to fall under the long service scheme.

Tommax25

Bench
So if a club has more than 3 10 year players they don't get an additional benefit? That can't be right.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
2003 - Long Serving Player Allowance introduced to encourage Clubs to retain players who have served a continuous period of 10 years in first grade. This $100,000 allowance lifted the effective cap to $3.55m.

2006 - Reduced to 8 years.

2010 - Increased to 200k.

From this I assume he's either on 200k, or they're chipping into the marquee player allowance (which was lifted to 300k in 2010). Another explaination is that the predicted cap rise for next year (clubs are operating on the basis it will be 5 mill) is giving another 100k. Also, these deals aren't per player, they're across the board (Perret gets 100k, Mini gets 100k but they can't both get 200k).

Here's the lot summarised:

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

PaddyBoy

Juniors
So if a club has more than 3 10 year players they don't get an additional benefit? That can't be right.

Because a club like Manly for example would just have an effective cap increase of 200k, rather than the purpose which is to make sure the Hindmarshes and Gallens retire one club men.

Think about how damaging an automatic 200k handicap would be for a club who has trouble holding on to the bulk of their players. Don't forget that the players can still earn money outside of footy as long as the club doesn't organise it for them, and they aren't there representing their club, public speaking, etc.

Those Billy Slater ads (forget what for, gym powder or something) don't have him wearing Storm stuff so I'd assume it's outside the cap.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Actually, it doesn't mention it but I swear I read it when Gallop was talking about the importance of free agency. I'm probably wrong though, it's my style.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Imagine if it was more substantial, or unlimited salary cap exemptions for long serving players... Melbourne would be able to rort the cap legally with their big three approaching 10 years.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Imagine if it was more substantial, or unlimited salary cap exemptions for long serving players... Melbourne would be able to rort the cap legally with their big three approaching 10 years.

Only 8 years now, they would all be getting money under it, as well as the marquee. So would Benji and Farah, Kite (this year) and Watmough.

Certainly pays off the keep a hold of them, if you bring them up they're cheaper when they hit the middle of their peak years.

Hayne will be elligible just before he turns 26!

T.T

Juniors
its a joke that players like bryce gibbs were forced out of the tigers due to this. Apparently because a part of his career was at balmain and is not included.

And to add insult to the tigers injuries, they were also fined over the apparent breach

Tommax25

Bench
Because a club like Manly for example would just have an effective cap increase of 200k, rather than the purpose which is to make sure the Hindmarshes and Gallens retire one club men.

Think about how damaging an automatic 200k handicap would be for a club who has trouble holding on to the bulk of their players. Don't forget that the players can still earn money outside of footy as long as the club doesn't organise it for them, and they aren't there representing their club, public speaking, etc.

Those Billy Slater ads (forget what for, gym powder or something) don't have him wearing Storm stuff so I'd assume it's outside the cap.

Isn't that the point? To give clubs who retain players for long periods to have a bonus?

jonno_knights

Juniors
Only 8 years now, they would all be getting money under it, as well as the marquee. So would Benji and Farah, Kite (this year) and Watmough.

Certainly pays off the keep a hold of them, if you bring them up they're cheaper when they hit the middle of their peak years.

Hayne will be elligible just before he turns 26!

If thats the case, Kurt Gidley would be on next to nothing under the cap, as he would be the only Knight to qualify, unless being in the junior system counts which would add guys like Mullen, McManus, Uate etc. Also assuming Bedsy doesnt get any concessions due to his service being split by his stint in the ESL.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Isn't that the point? To give clubs who retain players for long periods to have a bonus?

I'll go hunting for the article, Gallop was talking about how it can impact on free agency, but I'm getting less sure the more I think about it :o:lol:

firechild

First Grade

Since it is now 8 years, Manly would have Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Watmough, King as well as Kite, Rose and Matai from 2013 all qualifying. Effectively an extra $700k to the cap.

firechild

First Grade

Of those I listed above, all but Kite and Rose are 1 club men. Why are they any different to Gallen or Hindmarsh?

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Since it is now 8 years, Manly would have Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Watmough, King as well as Kite, Rose and Matai from 2013 all qualifying. Effectively an extra $700k to the cap.

No, it's 200k all up, and it comes under the broad umbrella of the $4.4 million a year.

2002 Clubs which could increase overall sponsorships were provided with an extension of the Sponsor Servicing Allowance bringing the total available allowance to $200,000 and an effective Salary Cap of $3.45m.

2003 Long Serving Player Allowance introduced to encourage Clubs to retain players who have served a continuous period of 10 years in first grade.This $100,000 allowance lifted the effective cap to $3.55m.

Emphasis on effective. Up from the $3.45m the year before, so to utilise the entire cap you would have to have at least one player at your club for 8 years, and also have him on 200k.

Imagine how easy it would be for someone who had a lot of players like Manly who have been there for extended periods. We'll give you all 400k (200k to their cap) and then they could still splash the cash on the best juniors. It would be a never ending cycle without a draft.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Edit
"Of those I listed above, all but Kite and Rose are 1 club men. Why are they any different to Gallen or Hindmarsh?"

I think I'm wrong about this and you can spread it out, I couldn't fin the article anywhere, so you would be able to spread it out (20k to 10 long serving players).

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
No, it's 200k all up, and it comes under the broad umbrella of the $4.4 million a year.

I understand that. You might note that my post was a response to someone who mentioned that IF it applied to all players then Melbourne would be almost unstoppable because the big 3 are approaching 10 years. My point was a club such as Manly could end up being in a position where there salary cap is effectively half a million $ higher than other clubs because they tend to keep players long term rather than chopping and changing season to season. I'd imagine Brisbane would be in a similar position. It is for this reason it cannot be extended to all 10 year players (much less all 8 year players).

TBH, I'd like to see this applied to only players who have not played 1st grade elsewhere. This will make kids think more seriously about jumping ship for a big offer after 1 or 2 good seasons. It might help to bring back some loyalty to the game (loyalty is probably not the right word when it is simply a reflection of potential earnings rather than a desire to remain a 1 club player).

Patorick

Staff member
Here's a question:

Where do grand final winning bonuses factor into the salary cap?

Especially when. like Manly, the majority of it is given to the players.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
I understand that. You might note that my post was a response to someone who mentioned that IF it applied to all players then Melbourne would be almost unstoppable because the big 3 are approaching 10 years. My point was a club such as Manly could end up being in a position where there salary cap is effectively half a million $ higher than other clubs because they tend to keep players long term rather than chopping and changing season to season. I'd imagine Brisbane would be in a similar position. It is for this reason it cannot be extended to all 10 year players (much less all 8 year players).
Oh right, sorry.

Here's a question:

Where do grand final winning bonuses factor into the salary cap?

Especially when. like Manly, the majority of it is given to the players.

It says that the bonus will only count in that years cap if a player is expected to achieve the said bonus. So you wouldn't be able to say "This player will win the comp", but you would be able to say "Thurston will play Origin" with reasonable certainty.

Other stuff carries over to the next year, so last years win bonus will be counting toward this years cap.

Edit.

Jeez they'd be paying for Hoppa playing Origin as well, unless he assumed he wouldn't play it during the deal, but you think an agent would chuck it in there anyway.

Last edited: