What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | Origin 1 | Wed | NSW 10-18 QLD | Etihad

ORIGIN I WINNER: NSW or QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moffo

Referee
Derp

Worst referee performance in an origin that I have ever seen. Not just for the farah call but all the other shit they let them get away with

Tommax25

Bench
I look forward to seeing all the outrage at Jennings running in to throw a punch in something that had nothing to do with him, like with the Manly-Melbourne brawl last year.

Bananabender

Juniors
Just heard on TV about the Blues spewing over the Inglis tackle. Mate...that was definitely not a try and doesn't deserve to be classified as one. No where near it. How badly done by where the Blues for that call to be made? The Ref was a joke and the Video Ref was even worse for agreeing with it. Glad to see Harrigan admitted a big mistake. Too late now though.

The difference is that he ran into a fight when it was about 7 on 3 against he team, not turning a 1 on 1 into a 5-1 fight. Plus it's origin.

Manly fans need to build a bridge, because dredging up and rehashing instances when they have been "wronged" is getting old.

Bretto

Bench
Didn't read the whole thread, but thought I'd comment on the talking points of the game and give my opinion.

Keep in mind I'm a QLD fan, so I'll try to be as unbiased as I can.

The Greg Bird penalty for upending the player: Fair dinkum. If that's a penalty, I'm not here. I thought it was a good, solid tackle and Bird was hard done by with that penalty.

The Jennings sin bin: Turn it up. He came running in and threw a punch, yes, but it hardly connected, and he barely looks like he could fight his way out of a wet paper bag. It's Origin. It deserved a penalty, but not the sin bin.

The Inglis try: If that's a try, I'm not here. I understand if we apply the rule book to it, that it's a try, well, I say the rule book is wrong. Inglis dropped that ball and I would have been happy with a knock on. It was too hard to determine if Farah deliberately played at the ball with his foot, IMO, and so it's a knock on.

Other points:

NSW - It was a funny old game. The better team on the night lost this one. I thought NSW out played QLD, especially their backs. Jennings and Hayne particularly in attack were extremely good. Hayne played his best game for years for mine. Morris did an excellent job on Inglis in the centres, much better than Gasnier has in previous years. I thought Tamou was really good, and Tony Williams when he came on had an immediate impact. Greg Bird troubled QLD all night, too. I thought Carney was average, at best. His kicking game was woeful, and his few touches were generally errors. Pearce was okay, but pretty much went missing for most of the game. Farrah was excellent. He really tried hard all night and made good meters out of dummy half around the big QLD forwards.

QLD
- How we got away with that one, I don't know. Cameron Smith was obviously still affected by the flu pretty bad. I've never seen him gas in a game, ever. Last night he was gassed hard after about 20 minutes. Petero and Scott were okay, but Hannant and Shillington were good, particularly Hannant - he was excellent. I really think Hannant needs to start next game and bring Petero off the bench. Inglis was shut down well all night by Morris, and Hodges had a quiet night guarded well by Jennings, but particularly Hayne. Boyd - well, 2 tries but a dropped bomb which let NSW score, but an overall good performance by him. Tate was tremendous and deserved the man of the match. He kept turning up for QLD, taking the hard yards when the forwards were tired, and was safe as a house under the high ball. Slater had a horror night, worst I've ever seen from him. Dunno what was up with that. Taylor and Gillet had minimal impact, but it wasn't the kind of game for them to really shine.

John Thurston - fair dinkum. If he's not the best player getting around ATM, I'll give it up. Without Lockyer there, Thurston really took on that ball playing delivery role. Some of his back line moves for the Boyd tries were spectacular. He was solid in defence, and his kicking game was excellent too.

I'm not going to get into the refereeing side of things, because it's pointless. Good close contest overall. NSW probably deserved to win it, but QLD managed to grind out a really ugly win. Can't wait for game two!

see i thought the jennings thing deserved to be binned.

he was really the 4th man in. lewis was 3rd in punching away.

he runs in from afar and punches a guy in the head. dumbass move. you cant do that. he was rightly binned IMO.

the bird pen for the tackle was a terrible decision. thats not a penalty. ever.

and yeah..carney was bad. he looked nervous and played accordingly. you could tell he was ff when he shanked that first kick.

so...the inglis try.

what was the official ruling on that?

Last edited:
I think a lot of people have got the brawl wrong. I'm not defending NSW here, if anything the opposite.

The only players I saw throw a punch were Pearce and Jennings.

I don't believe Lewis threw anything, he simply ran in at top speed, and I don't reckon Tate threw anything either, I think he just ran in and threw the headlock on Lewis.

It looked like an all-in initially so I can understand why Jennings ran over and belted Tate, and why Pearce was throwing punches. But I saw nothing from the Queensland side that I would call a punch.

But hey, that's Queenslands fault. If they want to initiate a brawl and not throw anything that's up to them. NSW did themselves proud, it was great to see 2 little blokes come in to support Bird like they did.

Got a good feeling about the team, just a shame they lost but it's going to be a mammoth task to win the next 2

Slammin

Juniors
Bird tackle bad call by ref

Jennings lucky not to be sent off, he had no business in there and in fact the only people throwing punches were cockroaches.

Inglis try a try, or a penalty try.

Mate...is the any Queensland fan going to say that it was not a try ??.

That is the worst call I have seen in a long time and I was sitting down that end right in front of it...absolute joke and it is frustrating that these clowns give the game to Queensland on this decision.

I thought Tamou, Hayne and Uate were strong for NSW.

The main observation that I took from this game is that the intensity and skill level of both teams seemed to be down on last year ??.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I think a lot of people have got the brawl wrong. I'm not defending NSW here, if anything the opposite.

The only players I saw throw a punch were Pearce and Jennings.

I don't believe Lewis threw anything, he simply ran in at top speed, and I don't reckon Tate threw anything either, I think he just ran in and threw the headlock on Lewis.

It looked like an all-in initially so I can understand why Jennings ran over and belted Tate, and why Pearce was throwing punches. But I saw nothing from the Queensland side that I would call a punch.

But hey, that's Queenslands fault. If they want to initiate a brawl and not throw anything that's up to them. NSW did themselves proud, it was great to see 2 little blokes come in to support Bird like they did.

Got a good feeling about the team, just a shame they lost but it's going to be a mammoth task to win the next 2
:lol: NSW players were the only ones throwing punches? Really?

Bird had six Qlders surrounding him before Jennings comes in, so if Jennings is sinbinned, why weren't any of the six Qlders given the same punishment?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Didn't read the whole thread, but thought I'd comment on the talking points of the game and give my opinion.

Keep in mind I'm a QLD fan, so I'll try to be as unbiased as I can.

The Greg Bird penalty for upending the player: Fair dinkum. If that's a penalty, I'm not here. I thought it was a good, solid tackle and Bird was hard done by with that penalty.

The Jennings sin bin: Turn it up. He came running in and threw a punch, yes, but it hardly connected, and he barely looks like he could fight his way out of a wet paper bag. It's Origin. It deserved a penalty, but not the sin bin.

The Inglis try: If that's a try, I'm not here. I understand if we apply the rule book to it, that it's a try, well, I say the rule book is wrong. Inglis dropped that ball and I would have been happy with a knock on. It was too hard to determine if Farah deliberately played at the ball with his foot, IMO, and so it's a knock on.

Other points:

NSW - It was a funny old game. The better team on the night lost this one. I thought NSW out played QLD, especially their backs. Jennings and Hayne particularly in attack were extremely good. Hayne played his best game for years for mine. Morris did an excellent job on Inglis in the centres, much better than Gasnier has in previous years. I thought Tamou was really good, and Tony Williams when he came on had an immediate impact. Greg Bird troubled QLD all night, too. I thought Carney was average, at best. His kicking game was woeful, and his few touches were generally errors. Pearce was okay, but pretty much went missing for most of the game. Farrah was excellent. He really tried hard all night and made good meters out of dummy half around the big QLD forwards.

QLD
- How we got away with that one, I don't know. Cameron Smith was obviously still affected by the flu pretty bad. I've never seen him gas in a game, ever. Last night he was gassed hard after about 20 minutes. Petero and Scott were okay, but Hannant and Shillington were good, particularly Hannant - he was excellent. I really think Hannant needs to start next game and bring Petero off the bench. Inglis was shut down well all night by Morris, and Hodges had a quiet night guarded well by Jennings, but particularly Hayne. Boyd - well, 2 tries but a dropped bomb which let NSW score, but an overall good performance by him. Tate was tremendous and deserved the man of the match. He kept turning up for QLD, taking the hard yards when the forwards were tired, and was safe as a house under the high ball. Slater had a horror night, worst I've ever seen from him. Dunno what was up with that. Taylor and Gillet had minimal impact, but it wasn't the kind of game for them to really shine.

John Thurston - fair dinkum. If he's not the best player getting around ATM, I'll give it up. Without Lockyer there, Thurston really took on that ball playing delivery role. Some of his back line moves for the Boyd tries were spectacular. He was solid in defence, and his kicking game was excellent too.

I'm not going to get into the refereeing side of things, because it's pointless. Good close contest overall. NSW probably deserved to win it, but QLD managed to grind out a really ugly win. Can't wait for game two!
See, I knew there were a handful of decent Qlders out there! :p

Seriously though mate congrats on the win, you blokes just managed to win the big moments ... again.

Bring on game two!

Slammin

Juniors
Bird had six Qlders surrounding him before Jennings comes in, so if Jennings is sinbinned, why weren't any of the six Qlders given the same punishment?

None of them threw punches. :crazy:

Blues threw punches, didn't hurt QLD so they laughed it off. Seriously Pearce snots Thaiday right in the kisser and he just gives him a bemused look, kind of like if your little sister punched you. (I understand that this might confuse most welshmen since they would probably beat their little sister if she hit them)

Mig2006

Juniors
Queenslander here! Was it a try - probably not. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would be blowing up if NSW had have been awarded a try like that. For mine, I wouldn't have awarded it but GI should have seriously done a better job of getting that ball down the first time!!

How did Tate not get MOTM? Nate Myles was solid if nothing else. In the end, we got away with the match and we were well below our best. !

If I was to criticise anyone, if would be the coaches. Why Ricky played T-Rex for minimal minutes when he was causing havoc is a mystery. Picking Buhrer in case of injury and giving him just 7 minutes is simply a waste. Bird was NSW's best but he is still a grub - his penalised tackle was a good one though and he troubled the QLD defence on most runs.

For QLD, why only play Taylor for 20 odd minutes and Hannant for little more. Both had good impact and Hannant was awesome when he came on. For him to only get 30 minutes was poor.

Overall, we won - not sure how though. NSW picked an attacking team but in the end, they could only manage 2 tries off the back of 50-50 kicks. That says a lot really.

There were bad decisions by the refs in that game, but they definitiely went both ways!

:lol: NSW players were the only ones throwing punches? Really?

I just told you why, because I don't actually think a Queenslander threw a punch.

Who threw a punch and when? I'm sat here watching it over and over and see nothing. Tate 100% throws nothing. Greg Bird was surrounded and wrestled by QLD, nobody was punching him

You know you really do yourself a disservice and disqualify yourself from giving an opinion when you're so biased that you can't call an incident like that fairly

Jennings and Pearce were the only players to threw punches. Lewis, Tate, Bird, Scott, Thaiday, Hodges etc threw nothing

Jobdog

Live Update Team
None of them threw punches. :crazy:

Blues threw punches, didn't hurt QLD so they laughed it off. Seriously Pearce snots Thaiday right in the kisser and he just gives him a bemused look, kind of like if your little sister punched you. (I understand that this might confuse most welshmen since they would probably beat their little sister if she hit them)
I suggest you watch the replay again.