What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited - The Early Years.

Rich102

Staff member

I have been perusing some of the early posts on this forum, Jan 2004 are the earliest I can access, and it started me wondering how the forum itself came into being and who started it.

Some of the early posters who are still around are, in no order, Robster, Meth, da mad maori, Iafeta, AliN, Ozbash, Skinner, League Nut, Play Da Ball, NZ Warrior, MKEB, Bobby Digital and Space Monkey. (Forgive me if I missed your name – I haven’t read all the posts.)

And League Nut was a source of information even in those early days, posting this squad from 2004:
Louis Anderson, Vinnie Anderson, Monty Betham, Kane Ferris, Henry Fa'afili, Sione Faumuina, Awen Guttenbeil, Lance Hohaia, Matt Jobson, Stacey Jones, Wairangi Koopu, Toshio Laiseni, Tevita Latu, Epalahame Lauaki, Ali Lauiti'iti, Thomas Leuluai, PJ Marsh, Tony Martin, Francis Meli, Vince Mellars, Shaun Metcalfe, Justin Murphy, Iafeta Palea'aesina, Marcus Perenara, Herewini Rangi, Jerome Ropati, Jerry Seuseu, Danny Sullivan, Karl Te Mata, Clinton Toopi, Mark Tookey, Evarn Tuimavave, Manu Vituvei, Richard Villasanti, Brent Webb.

So in my search for knowledge I have asked Ozbash & AliN to give me a rundown on how League Unlimited came into being.
Their report follows and I think it will be of interest to others.

Yay. We have a history!

I would like to invite some of the early posters to share their memories of the forum in the early days with us. (I only discovered LU in 2007 – so I am a relative newbie.)

ozbash

Referee
The History of LU.

Well its all thanks to another league website that LeagueUnlimited came about.
Many years ago basically the only place you could talk local footy with local people on the internet was rleague.com. Owned and operated by Bulldogs tragic Matt O'niel who is still going strong along with his site. Matt was a person who was so completely devoted to league, he wouldnt hear a bad word against it. It wasnt a good idea to rubbish the code or speak of others (esp union) and continued rubbishing and talking of rival codes usually meant you didnt stick around long.

At the time (we were all pretty green about footy websites and in particular, forums) most of us conformed. It was Matts site, after all.

Ali and I became involved doing live updates and writing the occasional article for rleague.

rleague became quite popular, a lot of people joined up and along with the success came the need for moderation in the forums.
In hindsight, it must have been very difficult for young Matt to keep his site and its members on the straight and narrow. Here was a young kid who was trying to keep grown men (and some of them were pretty hard buggers) on a leash while promoting his other part of the site, news/scores etc, at the same time.

At times thing became very heated, post editing/deletions were becoming common and the number of people banned was rising as quickly as his membership.

I cant actually remember the catylst for us leaving (by 'us' I mean about 6-8 regular rleague posters) but Willow had something to do with it. He had his own St George Dragons site and I,m pretty sure it involved a conflict over that . I'm sure he will be only too happy to set the story right :D

So poor old Matty was told where to shove his website and off we went, in search of another forum.

Trouble was, there really wernt any. Legend, in desperation, found an outfit called MSN and so was formed Legends WorldofSport.

A truly fantastic, albeit basic, board where we stayed and argued for many years about basically anything and everything. Some amazing posters from all around the world, some who had had a gutsfull of rleagues heaveyhanded moderation and those who 'found' us.

There was one basic unwritten law at LWOS, no heavey moderation. Maybe wrong, but I dont think 1 person was given the shove from the joint.

A lot of people posting on lu came along for the ride from rleague and LWOS. Included in the kiwi side are NZWarrior, MKEB, Bobbi Digital, Spacemonkey, Skinner and a few others who I cant recall.

Some of the classic threads can be found in the Classic Threads forum at LU. Willow started a blow by blow account of the 9/11 terror attack and it remains one of the most powerful threads Ive ever read.

Anyways, all good things had to come to an end, MSN were shutting up shop as far as their noticeboards went so we were looking for a new place to talk footy, again.

We tried out heaps of names for a site and I think it was Legend who came up with the name and so LeagueUnlimited was born.
We were lucky enough to have a talented young web designer, Eli, offer his services so off we went.

Ali, Willow, Legend, El Duque, Eli and myself threw ourselves into it. It was like having another fulltime job, every minute you thought of things to do/improve/ or try on this new site.
Legend was the ideas man, Willow was the stability and actually financed the project, El Duque, Ali and myself did whatever we could.

Although official records say we started in 2003, I have a suspicion that it was actually 2002.

To begin with, we were just another league website (there was a few by now) and although we had an initial base membership from LWOS, it actually took some time to kick off,,, but when it did...

We perservered, lots of league news, lots of live match updates (we have not missed updating an NRL game since we started), Willow created an idea called Forum 7s (where different forums write an essay type article which is league related) and just kept at it.

Membership started to bloom, Willow and Legend have had to buy new servers twice, to my knowledge, to cope with the traffic. Other organisations have noticed LU and we have advertised their companies on the site. We have also had the down times, we were hacked by a rival site, Willow with the help of the NZ Police tracked down the perp.. shame it was a kiwi.

Anyways, LU is now the largest privately owned sporting website in the world.

Have personally met quite a few of the members (Willow and Legend are footy fans first, bloody good blokes seconed and web moguls thirdly)

Has been a hell of a ride, Ali and I have imense pride in being part of it and huge regard for the guys we 'rode' with. A real team effort.

All of us (perhaps with the exception of El Duque/Diablo, who still does a massive mount of moderation work) have stepped back now and have taken our rightful (and where it all started from) place as members of a great football website.

Place is in good hands now, Twizz looks after the forum and a snotnosed kid who has basically been with us fron day 1, Timmah, does a fantastic job running the news side of the site.

and from Legend,

""The catalyst for forming LWOS was the heavy moderation at WORL and the fact that when I asked to be more of a contributor to Rleague, I was basically told by MattO that if I tried to start my own site, I would be crushed.

Steven Birchall was disillusioned with rleague and gaveus a hand with the original site design on LU, which did start in 2002, not 2003. The phpbb forums were installed in 2003 and that hepled the site grow. Starkers came aboard in 2003 and Eli left in 2004 but the original LU team was:

Willow
Legend
Ali
Tony
Jeremy
Eli""

Skinner

Coach
From my memory, Matto's joint (rleague) was responsible on two very seperate occasions for the inauguration, and the sudden increase in membership of dear old LU.

The first, of course, was the blue between the Willow and Legend gang (the usual suspects) that I was never really privy to, which led to Legend setting up LWOS.

The second (and probably more catalystic) was the sudden closure of rleague due to the threat of legal action from one Raymond Hadley against Matthew O'Neil. The rleague site literally closed down over night. The threatened action was due to an article (or post - can't remember) suggesting, strongly, that Easts (Roosters) were playing over the cap. Matto was a teenager, Ray Hadley was a media heavy weight. Pretty obvious which way that would go. The nett result was an influx of members (myself included) to LeagueUnlimited.........and this site went from there and grew like topsy.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Two questions about rleague. What ever happened to Dane. Is he still involved? Is GTR (Go the Roosters) still involved in rleague and is he El Diablo?

MKEB...

Staff member
And from my rememberence, El Diablo is the Ozbash antithesis. A lot of anti kiwi -sheep jokes from him over the years (more than most bar Non-Termy) correct?

jamaman

Juniors
Good info guys..as I started on VOT and you know of its demise..alot went to NZ Warrior fan but the bunch that run it are heavy on restrictions!
..really enjoy this forum included with other clubs!

_addict

Juniors
I used to frequent WORL in its dirty dark days, then TFS, and occassionally lurked here for a long time. I thought there was a period between LWOS and LU where TFR was fronted elsewhere, or is it that The Front Row was there in name on both. My memory is fuzzy on that.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Was a LWOS member, made the very first post in the sharks forum.

Willow made it so with much help.

I have only ever posted, never once moderated.

Made many a post in this forum.

Ozbash is soft.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Whats missing is the folkes I met. Always fun.

Been 10 years met more than 10, way more.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I used to frequent WORL in its dirty dark days, then TFS, and occassionally lurked here for a long time. I thought there was a period between LWOS and LU where TFR was fronted elsewhere, or is it that The Front Row was there in name on both. My memory is fuzzy on that.
Interesting .....I met meth @TFS, with EA, evilgrowler, kinghtsmurf. haha memories.

JoeD

First Grade
Been mainly a lurker going back to to the LWOS days. One question Oz, is El D anything like his online persona?

Akkerz

Juniors
Good info guys..as I started on VOT and you know of its demise..alot went to NZ Warrior fan but the bunch that run it are heavy on restrictions!
..really enjoy this forum included with other clubs!

Agree.... Also started on VOT - was gutted when that closed down but now I've come across you lot I don't have to vent at the T V . My life is complete :lol::lol::lol:
Well done & thanks

Latest posts