What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kelly strikes gold on Eels debut

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
When Keating went off or the whole game?

He played in the middle (but defended on the left) all the way up until Keating went off, with Hayne on the left and Sandow on the right.

When that happened Sandow shifted to the middle, Hayne switched to the right and Paulo moved to the left.

Bear in mind these positions aren't set in stone. The spine players bob up wherever they see an opportunity (as spine players should) but there is a definite tendency for the fullback and five-eighth to split in atack. Also our lock tends to roam (especially when Paulo comes on) rather than just playing through the middle as in most teams.

mickdo

Coach
Roberts' defence would have to be an issue for playing hooker, surely? Did he defend in the middle when he played 14 for the Dogs or did they still have him out wide?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I said off the bench, they usually wear 14 to 17.

You're not very bright are you?

In the 92 NRL games he played before he came to Parra, he came off the bench seven times.

In the other 85 games he played centre twice, halfback 14 times, and five-eighth 69 times.

So if he played hooker in the seven occasions he came off the bench, why didn't he start there even once in all the other first grade games he played?

I saw both games he played last year off the bench and he played in the halves both times. He didn't play hooker.

You reckon he played hooker in his two (out of 13) games off the bench in 2010? Or in his single game (out of 24) off the bench in 2009? Or was it his two (out of 21) off the bench in 2008?

Don't you think it's odd that he's never started a game at hooker? Even when he came off then bench last year he went into the halves and pushed Keating or Romelo into hooker.

Avenger

Immortal
You're not very bright are you?

In the 92 NRL games he played before he came to Parra, he came off the bench seven times.

In the other 85 games he played centre twice, halfback 14 times, and five-eighth 69 times.

So if he played hooker in the seven occasions he came off the bench, why didn't he start there even once in all the other first grade games he played?

I saw both games he played last year off the bench and he played in the halves both times. He didn't play hooker.

You reckon he played hooker in his two (out of 13) games off the bench in 2010? Or in his single game (out of 24) off the bench in 2009? Or was it his two (out of 21) off the bench in 2008?

Don't you think it's odd that he's never started a game at hooker? Even when he came off then bench last year he went into the halves and pushed Keating or Romelo into hooker.
Argue and google all you want you silly prick but I have seen him play at dummy half for the Dogs.

EelsFan05

Bench
I was at my favorite restaurant tonight eating a junior burger when it occurred to me that he would make a good centre.

I'm not so sure with his turnstile defence. Him and Sandow standing beside each other in the defensive line would be a sight to behold.

Utey

Coach
I like Roberts, I think he needs to be in the mix somewhere. I'd take him at 14.

oldmancraigy

Coach
He played hooker off the bench for the Dogs when Moore was coaching them.

Just name us the game so we can all go and have a look to see.

Here's the tip: you won't be able to because he didn't play hooker. He might have picked the ball up from dummy half on occasion, but his career has always been in the halves.

And with good reason - his skillset and temperament would make him a TERRIBLE hooker.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I like Roberts, I think he needs to be in the mix somewhere. I'd take him at 14.

Why does he have to be in the mix somewhere?

Kelly and Sandow are both 80 minute players. So there is no room for a spare halfback/ five eighth sitting around scratching themselves on the bench. If you want to play him at hooker, well, also redundant (since he can't anyway) because Keating plays 80 minutes.

And if you want him for emergency cover, well, also redundant since Paulo is the 'emergency cover' for one of our halves or hooker getting injured.