What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the St.George area are you from?

saint.nick

Coach
I saw a good thread in the Bulldogs forum asking the same thing about where people come from in the C/B locality. I liked the idea, and thought I'd emulate what they did :D

Old_Timer

Juniors
Ok Nick, I will start it off.

I was from Wolseley St, Bexley. Right next to the canal in the lowest part of the street. We lived in an old style 2 bedroom, plus sleep out, weatherboard cottage. The front lawn was small enough to cut it with a pair of scissors. There was a nice corner shop, at the junction of Wolseley St and Forest Road. Every saturday I would treat myself to a vanilla ice cream, providing I made enough money from my bottle collection.

Our area was very much, blue collar, working class. Definitely not a ritzy area like Carss Park, but a nice place for a kid to grow up in the 1930's.

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
That's fascinating, because you lived in the street of Marist Brothers, so I probably know the house you're talking about, and clearly know the corner shop. Bexley has changed a lot demographics wise since then. I graduated at Marist last year by the way :) That's a nice complement for me about Carss Park, because I live there, and have done so for most of my life. Born in Hurstville private, lived in George St. Sth Hurstville till just before the '99 grand final, and then remember standing on my new front drive way in Carss Park wearing a new dragons GF shirt my late fanatical grandfather had just bought me, wondering what it was all about and why it was too big for me.

rainman44

Bench
I have been a carlton boy from day dot but now im at blakehurst for the past 4 half years living next to a house that Ben Matulino just purchased.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Oh a carss park toff r we Nick, LOL. I played a bit of footy around there. Lovely area, but way out of my working class roots. Beside them buggars used to get the bottle deposit back for themselves.

Gee, I wonder what Wolseley St look's like now.

p.s. we went to the same high school Nick. Mind you I was a few classes ahead of ya!

p.p.s. the school first's footy team, of which I was a member, played in red and white hoops!

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
Lived in McPherson Street, Hurstville, parallel to Stony Creek Road, near the small Kingsway shops when growing up, school at DLS Kingsgrove. Since married have lived at Como for 33 years now.
First beer at the Grove Inn. Still have a beer once a week at the Ritz for old time sake, Hurstville has changed some what hey !!

big pat

Coach
damn, i can't play this game, i'm in punchbowl, oh well go the dragons anyway, what was that bang, is that another drive by, carry on guys.

The Cobra

Juniors
Lived in Carrington Ave,Hurstville then moved to Loftus, lived there for ten years then moved to the super Dragons stronghold of Mudgee.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
damn, i can't play this game, i'm in punchbowl, oh well go the dragons anyway, what was that bang, is that another drive by, carry on guys.
That's close enough pat.

I maintain that St George is everywhere is everywhere is St George.

Old_Timer

Juniors

Punchbowl Pat? What happened to ya tribal loyalty. You should have been a berries supporter.