What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels appoint Ando as GM Football

Stagger eel

Staff member
As with every decision or appointment made by the board, I will support it..

However, I don't think anyone knows whether this will be a good or bad decision given it's a role that da has never held before, I'm prepared to give him 12 to 18 months before I form an opinion on it..

forward pass

Coach
My opinion on Kearney is different to others (actually think he wasn't to bad and next year we will finally see what he was trying to achieve) .

But yes I totally agree you. He really needed some help, as he took so much on it most likely affected his coaching of the top side ( but then again didn't he reject further help?).

Actually the club brought in Chris Anderson to help him:lol::lol:. Remember that little episode in our glorious history !! My God !

Maroubra Eel

Coach
My opinion on Kearney is different to others (actually think he wasn't to bad and next year we will finally see what he was trying to achieve) .

But yes I totally agree you. He really needed some help, as he took so much on it most likely affected his coaching of the top side ( but then again didn't he reject further help?).

I reckon next year we will see the good work out what Ando was doing start to pay off.

Craig Johnston

First Grade

However, I don't think anyone knows whether this will be a good or bad decision given it's a role that da has never held before, I'm prepared to give him 12 to 18 months before I form an opinion on it..

not many clubs have got a GM/director of football though, its a good resource to have for clubs that can afford it. so there's not many candidates that would have had direct experience in this role.

either that or you need a stable competent CEO who can handle both commercial and football aspects of the business.

given the situation we have been in, this new role did make sense.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I reckon next year we will see the good work out what Ando was doing start to pay off.

5 year plan he set in motion.

Stage 1, get rid of useless players and take the fall yourself (2010)
Stage 2, have useless coach employed so others will see how great you really were (2011)
Stage 3, have useless coach recruit uselessly, dooming himself, and whoever follows (2012)
Stage 4, have high profile useless coach employed, tell him a public sacking of useless players recruited by former useless coach is the way forward (2013)
Stage 5, come back to club, now desperate for success, and anything better than the wooden spoon will be gladly welcomed. A trip to top 8 status will see you hailed as a maestro (2014)

Very clever of him...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Which begs the question, how do we as fans/members judge him in this position?

Pazza

First Grade
just having a GM of football has to give us a big advantage as a footy club. DA can be hard at work already developing a squad for 2015 and beyond while BA can be hard at work in preparations for 2014.

Delboy

First Grade
just having a GM of football has to give us a big advantage as a footy club. DA can be hard at work already developing a squad for 2015 and beyond while BA can be hard at work in preparations for 2014.
The GM should not be developing any squad for future years without 110% input from the coach, that would be an absolute disaster and a nightmare. You cannot do that and expect results, we have complained about that issue for past 3 years

Keep the GM on admin and junior development and leave the NRL squad to the coach, perhaps that is my main worry with DA, keeping his head out of the NRL side

Pazza

First Grade
The GM should not be developing any squad for future years without 110% input from the coach, that would be an absolute disaster and a nightmare. You cannot do that and expect results, we have complained about that issue for past 3 years

Keep the GM on admin and junior development and leave the NRL squad to the coach, perhaps that is my main worry with DA, keeping his head out of the NRL side

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Scott-Seward-talks-about-Daniel-Andersons-appointment/86126

1:30 onwards

i never said DA would build a squad without BA's input but he can spend a lot more time on:
- scouting prospective players
- cap management
- performance/development of lower grade players
- meeting player managers
etc

BA and DA with work together to build future rosters but this will be a huge part of DA's role. as stated by the CEO in the link i posted.

This!!! God knows we have enough idiots from the current board already poking their heads into team affairs

Pazza

First Grade
This!!! God knows we have enough idiots from the current board already poking their heads into team affairs

then what is the point of a GM of football?

if its jnr development and admin? then im pretty sure jnr's are nolan's job and we could have hired an admin assistant for 40k a year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Which begs the question, how do we as fans/members judge him in this position?

Probably the same way we judged our previous coachs and CEOs??... In fact I would say if you cloaked follow the parhways and development of our players from 14s and15s onwards and your closely involved with the parramatta junior league than I would say it would be easy to form an appraisal on his performance, but granted not everyone will be able to do it..

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hopefully Arthur and Ando work well together. Potentially if you take the best bits of both of them they almost cover off on all of the characteristics of a world class coach.

Latest posts