What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Ulugia sacked

ek999

First Grade
www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/north-que...tar-wayne-ulugia/story-fndv343h-1226814165026

NORTH Queensland have sacked rising star Wayne Ulugia barely a week ahead of their opening NRL pre-season trial after a series of conduct breaches.

Cowboys CEO Peter Jourdain would not go into too many details on Thursday but revealed the ex-Junior Kiwi had committed "continual conduct breaches, which came despite the player receiving professional guidance from inside and outside the club, (that) could no longer be tolerated".

He said the Cowboys would now search for another player to add to their 2014 roster just days before new coach Paul Green was set to name his first side on Tuesday for their opening trial against Brisbane in Redcliffe on February 8.

Auckland-born utility back Ulugia, 21, made his NRL debut late in 2013 and played a total of four games including North Queensland's dramatic finals loss to Cronulla.

Wayne Ulugia on the attack in round 25, 2013 against Cronulla. Pic Brett Costello Source: News Limited

He scored six tries including a double on debut against Newcastle - only the second brace by a Cowboy in his first NRL match.

Ulugia was named in Samoa's 2013 Rugby League World Cup train-on squad.

"We will not be going into details of the breaches," Jourdain said in a statement.

"Wayne is aware he has not met the standards required and despite efforts from both he and the club to get him on the right track, the problems continue to occur.

"There's no doubt he has enormous talent as a footballer and we have seen that develop through his time at the Cowboys, but we have a code of conduct that has to be followed.

"If Wayne wishes, we will continue to help him through this period of his life even though he will no longer be a part of our NRL squad.

"We hope that at some stage in the future he can make a success of his rugby league career."

Vic Mackey

Referee
I remember in one of his first games he scored an easy try while the cowboys were behind and carried on like he had just won the grand final. I thought at the time 'this bloke seems like a fckwit'

Seems I was right

Big Pete

Referee
Good call some11.

As Dean picks up Rona, we'll pick up Santo (or J. Bowen) and rip up!

Eep, I've said too much.

Canard

Immortal
Must have been something fairly consitently drastic for this to happen.

Excellent news for the Dragons and Newcastles of the world.

They will pick up a good young up and comer.

hunters

Juniors
I remember in one of his first games he scored an easy try while the cowboys were behind and carried on like he had just won the grand final. I thought at the time 'this bloke seems like a fckwit'

Seems I was right

Yeah it just sickens me to see a young bloke get excited about scoring his first few tries in the top grade.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-in-police-probe/story-fnca0von-1226814834952

Dumped Cowboy Wayne Ulugia in police probe

Dan Koch
The Australian
January 31, 2014 11:33AM

FORMER North Queensland winger Wayne Ulugia is being investigated by Townsville police over an alleged theft of a woman's handbag during a night out on the town last week.

The Australian has been told no charges have yet been aid against the 21-year-old. But the matter is still with police, who have confirmed inquiries are ongoing.

But the latest incident involving the talented back was a factor in the Cowboys tearing up his two-year contract yesterday with chairman Peter Jourdain saying repeated breaches of the club's code of conduct could no longer be tolerated.

An internal Cowboys investigation was held and after a meeting with the player and his management, he was sacked.

Eighteen months ago Ulugia was fined for an assault on a nightclub patron, who allegedly spat on him. The club said other alcohol-related incidents were involved in its decision to cut him.

He was drinking with friends last week at a local watering hole in Townsville, when the alleged theft happened.

Ulugia is a former Australian Schoolboys and Junior Kiwis player, who came into the Cowboys system as a 15-year-old with great promise.

He was contracted with the NRL squad for the past three years and trained daily alongside the likes of Australian players Johnathan Thurston, Brent Tate, Matt Scott and James Tamou.

He made his NRL debut last season with six tries from four games, including a runaway bust in the Cowboys-Cronulla qualifying final.

Ulugia has remained close with former Cowboys assistant coach Kristian Woolf, who is now with the Brisbane Broncos.

The NRL Integrity Unit has been sent a report. Any attempts by another club to sign Ulugia would have to be approved by the NRL.

Additional reporting: Margie McDonald

My first thought was it must be pretty serious to sack him. Looked like an awesome talent in the games he played last year.

beave

Coach

Seems I was right

I think you will find he lost his sister a year or so ago to cancer and was best mates with Alex Elisala, the emotion poured out was most probably aimed in their honour. If that above story is correct, it's pretty disappointing for everyone involved. A lot of time and effort went into him and his family coming over from NZ, shame it came to this.

I'd say he is probably a bit messed up still from losing some close people to him.

Packy

Bench
It's never good to see this sort of thing happen but I don't even think he was the best youngster you guys have lost/let go over the last few years.