What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens Sues Tigers

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tim Sheens sues Wests Tigers over sacking

Louise Hall
Published: March 12, 2014 - 5:12PM

Dumped Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is suing his old club claiming his sacking damaged his reputation and he hasn't been able to find work at another NRL club since.

Wests Tigers terminated his position as head coach in mid September 2012 and replaced him with Michael Potter, although the club continued to pay Sheens' salary until the end of June 2013. It is believed Sheens was on a contract of $450,000 a year.

Sheens has launched legal action in the NSW Supreme Court demanding the Tigers resume payment of his monthly salary until his contract ends on October 31 this year.

In a statement of claim, obtained by Fairfax Media, Sheens also claims damages for the loss of opportunity to earn bonus payments, damages for breach and repudiation of contract, damages for loss of enhancement of reputation and costs.

Under the contract signed in April 2011, Sheens had the option to stay on as coach for a further year, so long as the first grade team met certain performance targets.

Sheens says he has suffered loss and damage to his reputation and has been not been employed as a head coach of another NRL team since. In a directions hearing on Tuesday, the court heard both sides will present expert accounting evidence.

The matter returns to court next month.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...wests-tigers-over-sacking-20140312-hvhub.html

This from the guy who signed Anasta and dumped Fifita. Tigers should present that as part of their defence.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Reckon we should continue hardball back at the pigheaded bugger. Put his performance into the court record compared against others, his attitude to player performance and team selection, how he wrecked players careers by not liking them and not selecting them despite performance earning selection merit, etc.

Maybe also get parramatta and other places he tried for coaching jobs to provide testimony about how out of touch he is/was.

Had a contract. Deserves to be paid.
Of course unless there is a fine print issue where we can screw his rectum whilst laughing at him like he did to ours for years.

If i was in his shoes i would want my contract and money honoured regardless of my performance if there were no kpi's in it.

So would you.

gronkathon

First Grade
Rumour doing the rounds that the reason the club is challenging is they have proof of income outside the Australian job for coaching consultancy.

N.C.

Juniors
Will watch with interest. Here's hoping te court finds that he was the architect of his own demise.

Contract is a contract.
I'm sure the geniuses running the club budgeted for all this when they made the decision to sack him.
Yeah right!

Ho hum, just another day in paradise ... where everyone wears orange and the idiots run the village (and no one ever muscles up in 'D').

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't he on the record as saying that he would stand down if the Tigers failed to make the finals in 2012?

I'd be using that in the defence.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Isn't he on the record as saying that he would stand down if the Tigers failed to make the finals in 2012?

I'd be using that in the defence.

Apparently he said that in 2011...( and they made the finals that year)

Regardless even if he did say it in 2012, I doubt that it will be sufficient for the Tigers to avoid the written contract....

The dumb merkins should have tried to negotiate a lump sum settlement with him when he was turfed out....This seems to happen elsewhere..

The club really is amateur hour both on and off the field...

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Only one party to blame for this. Our dumb f**k management, who should have let him go to Penrith in 2011. Instead they shat their pants and extended his contract. Mindless.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Sheens says he has suffered loss and damage to his reputation and has been not been employed as a head coach of another NRL team since.

lol.............

Matchball

Bench
3 finals in 10 years ruined his reputation.
Tigers obviously are confident in this proceeding to court so let's see what happens.

BuffaloRules

Coach
They tried to negotiate. Sheens demanded every cent, including retention of the sponsors car

Why would he demand every cent?

The longer he is out of the game, the harder it is to get the next gig...

He could have got say 75% up front of what he was owed and then looked to get another offer for 2014...

I'm assuming the negotiations from the Tigers end would have been to offer him 200K out of the $1Million he was owed....

They should have been looking to save themselves $200K rather than offer him that much...

I’ll follow the case with interest.

There’s no word in the media as to why the Tigers stopped paying Sheens’ contract but I imagine it has something to do with his conduct since being demoted as head coach. If his tenure was contingent upon him meeting certain KPIs as head coach, the Tigers would have stopped paying the miserable prick earlier. Perhaps, as Gronk suggested, the Tigers will argue that he did consultancy work last year in breach of the non-compete clause in his contract. Who knows? The Tigers must be pretty confident that Sheens’ conduct warranted immediate termination of the contract to have ceased paying him so abruptly. That, or the club is a dire financial position, and couldn’t fit his exorbitant salary any longer.

Whatever the result of the case, the club has suffered due to the stupidity of its board and the former CEO who were responsible for resigning Sheens despite years of ineptitude. It’s a shame that, if the club loses, these idiots can’t be held personally responsible for their reckless decision.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I?ll follow the case with interest.

There?s no word in the media as to why the Tigers stopped paying Sheens? contract but I imagine it has something to do with his conduct since being demoted as head coach. If his tenure was contingent upon him meeting certain KPIs as head coach, the Tigers would have stopped paying the miserable prick earlier. Perhaps, as Gronk suggested, the Tigers will argue that he did consultancy work last year in breach of the non-compete clause in his contract. Who knows? The Tigers must be pretty confident that Sheens? conduct warranted immediate termination of the contract to have ceased paying him so abruptly. That, or the club is a dire financial position, and couldn?t fit his exorbitant salary any longer.

Whatever the result of the case, the club has suffered due to the stupidity of its board and the former CEO who were responsible for resigning Sheens despite years of ineptitude. It?s a shame that, if the club loses, these idiots can?t be held personally responsible for their reckless decision.

Didnt Sheens get rid of the previous CEO to Humpty who tried to have his contract linked to KPI's?

I think a lot of you blokes have too much faith in what Humpty would have agreed too along with the other Wests Tigers administration...

I have no doubt that the Tigers have stopped paying him because they have no money, yet in the end he will get every cent he is owed, plus another $100K of legal fees that will be racked up in the meantime...