What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Taylor

_Johnsy

Referee
We've seen this exact thread every year for the last few years

Deservedly so.

Still has a way to go to catch up with the Pearce threads.

Difference is Pearce can at least play the game a bit & shows some ticker when defending & will attempt to run around Brooks not pass around him.

D Taylor is possibly the biggest ever NRL myth.

You've got a NRL match on the weekend.

Your options are:

* a pack of forwards that includes Bird, Taylor, Douglas, Myles, Bailey, Harrison and James

OR

* a Troop of Brownies and Girl Guides.

Which do YOU choose?

_Johnsy

Referee
If he went to a good coach he would be lethal...that said he was that bad even McGuire wanted him gone from Souths!

That's a massive fail.

2006 - Wayne Bennett
2007 - Wayne Bennett
2008 - Wayne Bennett

So for a 3rd NRL career he has been coached by one of the greatest ever RL coaches. He got SFA out of him. Michael Maguire couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

TBH Locky, I wouldn't want him @ my club if the Titans paid 3/4 of his contract.

Big Pete

Referee
In fairness to both men, Dave was only 20 when Bennett left, to expect Wayne to get the best out of him at that age is highly unrealistic. Not that there weren't any problems around that time either, Wayne wasn't happy with his application and sat him out for the bulk of the season for Nick Kenny of all people. Totally right decision too, Kenny was willing to put in while Dave was a flat track bully.

With that said, it's telling that his stint in Souths was ended when Madge became coach. While he might not be at that level of a Bellamy, Bennett or Hasler, I rate Maguire as one of the best in the business right now and if there was one coach that could get the best out of Taylor, it'd be him. Instead, he was happy to let him walk to the Titans where he's put in the same ol' performances.

If Taylor was willing to accept a modest contract and came in with the right attitude, I'd take him back at Brisbane in a heart-beat. At 27, I believe the Broncos would be the best environment for him and he'd give us ideally the type of forward we're missing. Can't see it happening though, think he cares too much about providing for his family than playing the starving artist.

betcats

Referee
I liked at one point during the game Taylor ran at Brooks and the commentary said "now there's a mismatch! Big man on little man"... Brooks sat him on his arse with barely an effort :lol:

I guess all that size doesn't count for much if it's mainly made up of buckets of the Colonel's best

I remember when he was 1v1 with barba and went over him too score and got up and threw the ball at barbas head...thats when I knew he was a muppet.

eozsmiles

Bench
Usually I'd post something along the lines of "send him to Manly or Melbourne and they'll sort him out" but he might be past it. He has had Madge and Wayne plus the origin carrot has been dangled in front of him. Blokes like Mick Crocker would've given him a rocket or two.

Maybe he'll turn 30 and the penny will drop. Has he got kids? That sometimes snaps them out of it. Or maybe he smokes weed?

Unfortunately it seems that Taylor will be remembered as a player who could've been anything if only he had put in the hard yards.

He'll also be remembered as a player that could win his team a match with a freakish play, but more often than not go missing when the hard work needed to be done.

The main reason that Souths didn't fight to re-sign him was that he didn't 'buy in' to what Maguire was trying to do at the club.

I really don't know which coach could turn him around at this point of Taylor's career.

f**k why does this shit always have to pop up before we play the titans and fire taylor up...he'll play his one and only good game for the season now

u4er

Juniors
I think his problem is 50% laziness and 50% ego, when he was at the Broncs he was still improving, I think then he got hyped up too much in the Qld media as this giant with freakish ball skills. Started well at the Rabbits, but after being picked for Origin he really seemed to noticeably put in less effort, I guess he figured he'd made it to the elite and no longer needed to try. He probably think he can just coast along at the Titans for a few years, living off his rep and playing the occasional decent game when he can be bothered.

I think his problem is 50% laziness and 50% ego, when he was at the Broncs he was still improving, I think then he got hyped up too much in the Qld media as this giant with freakish ball skills. Started well at the Rabbits, but after being picked for Origin he really seemed to noticeably put in less effort, I guess he figured he'd made it to the elite and no longer needed to try. He probably think he can just coast along at the Titans for a few years, living off his rep and playing the occasional decent game when he can be bothered.

Or if Big Dave Taylor was adding it up, it would be 50% laziness, 50% ego and 20% bad luck.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i'm pretty certain i heard a player interviewed and asked about him last year (i think it was cameron smith) who said he (taylor) needed to "mature/grow up". Paul kent said the only reason mcguire got out of him what he did was cos he threatened to drop him every week

he's never seemed like the sharpest tool in the shed - i can imagine his own teammates and trainers yelling at him and him being confused whether they're talking to him or someone in the crowd

the titans were geniused to sign him for so long, and one thing he probably will be smart enough to do is stay there and play in the intrust cup for big money.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I liked at one point during the game Taylor ran at Brooks and the commentary said "now there's a mismatch! Big man on little man"... Brooks sat him on his arse with barely an effort :lol:

I guess all that size doesn't count for much if it's mainly made up of buckets of the Colonel's best

Mullen stopped him cold 1-1 on the Knights goal line last year too

Taylor is all kinds of lazy shit.

One of the biggest pea hearts to ever grace our game. If he put in half the effort the average first grader puts into his career, he'd be a megastar.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If he went to a good coach he would be lethal...that said he was that bad even McGuire wanted him gone from Souths!

Bennett and Madge have both punted him.

Hasler keeps playing Williams though a fart would knock him over.

Bellamys boys will struggle throughout the year now that they can't wrestle.

Name me the good coach who is going to get anything out of him?

He plays scared. Plain and simple.

_Johnsy

Referee
i can imagine his own teammates and trainers yelling at him and him being confused whether they're talking to him or someone in the crowd.

:lol::lol::lol:

These 2 pics sum up DT for me,
1) borderline mong
david_taylor-200x0.jpg

2) The only person to have look petrified when Ennis grabs them, he looks so confused he's trying to scare his own fist by screaming at it. I swear Ennis is thinking WTF is this gooba doing.
art_taylor-420x0.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

These 2 pics sum up DT for me,
1) borderline mong
david_taylor-200x0.jpg

2) The only person to have look petrified when Ennis grabs them, he looks so confused he's trying to scare his own fist by screaming at it. I swear Ennis is thinking WTF is this gooba doing.
art_taylor-420x0.jpg

To be fair, putting on a Souffs or Maroons jersey does automatically wipe 100 points off your IQ.

Latest posts