What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noname36

First Grade
FFS get over it Melbourne supporters. Unlike McKinnon, McLean will play again.

He was always going to cop that much after they set a precedent with Snowden. If they didn't give him a somewhat lengthy suspension they'd be sending the message that they weren't taking Alex's injury seriously like they said they were with the NQ player (hence Snowden copping the long suspension he did).

georgesnmith

Juniors
I expect at least one journo over the next few weeks to highlight half a dozen or more tackles from a round of footy to show how frequent this type of tackle is and how often it goes unpunished. Waiting for it to happen.

maybe someone knowledgeable like sterlo and johns will

the geese at news ltd will say it was an easy sentence, he shouldve got more

ARLC cant win.

they ban the shoulder charge for player safety the fans are up in arms.

then this happens and then people ask why lifting in tackles hasnt been punished more harshly in the past.

this is the first time i can remember this happening at the elite level, its a freak accident.

typicalfan

Coach

ARLC cant win.

then this happens and then people ask why lifting in tackles hasnt been punished more harshly in the past.

this is the first time i can remember this happening at the elite level, its a freak accident.

I agree with you, as many have said, there are no winners in this. The only positive is how the rugby league community have come out in strong support of both players, especially Alex.

The_Savage_1

Juniors

ARLC cant win.

the difference is that fans don't enjoy lifting tackles like they do shoulder charges. lifting doesn't add any spectacle to the game, particularly of the third man in variety.

insert.pause

First Grade
Why shouldn't the impact of the wrong influence sentencing, it does in the real world judicial system, you only have to look at the one punch kills campaign and the tragic deaths that have occurred as a result of actions that were not intended to be lethal, it's part of the deterrent, it makes people more aware of their actions and more cautious, just like it will in the NRL. Yes, McLean had no intent and it was an accident but the vast majority of suspensions are accidents, most players don't go out there trying to deliberately hurt someone.

Parra

Referee
they can't just do it on a whim, if they were to draw a line in the sand from now on and increased the penalties for dangerous lifts I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

I provided the example. It can be done quickly and effectively.

That is how you draw a line in the sand.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Comans removed king hits and the obvious potential for severe injury by imposing very harsh suspensions.

The NRL had the opportunity to do the same tonight and failed.

Those who fail to understand history are doomed to repeat it.

Comans is not the person you believe he is. He was given an edict by Arthurson to wipe Wests out of being title contenders. That brawl against Illawarra was not one sided, Illawarra were punching on as much as Wests, but who copped the severe punishment - Wests.

Arthurson wanted Wests players for Manly, and it came back to bite him on the arse.

Comans, Arthurson were grubs.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I expect at least one journo over the next few weeks to highlight half a dozen or more tackles from a round of footy to show how frequent this type of tackle is and how often it goes unpunished. Waiting for it to happen.

And so they should, that is there real job. If a penalty is related to injury, young McLean should have got a life ban.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
It was inevitable. It's not a freak accident - the laws of the game recognise this.

Given what happened tonight, it is inevitable that it will happen again.

Yes, I agree... but for different reasons. It will continue because they have penalised the outcome and not the action. They need to increase the base penalty for dangerous throws and once players start getting a month off (or whatever) for the lowest end of the scale tackles (like the McLean tackle) then they will soon stop doing it, especially when you throw in loading for previous offences, etc.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He clearly did the wrong thing. He got punished. I think that's fair enough. What is not fair enough is when so often the exact same kind of tackle doesn't even get looked at. It happened several times in the very same game.

Mclean got what he deserved. But so should every other player who does it. It shouldn't only go to the judiciary when a broken neck is involved.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The length of the suspension did take the injury into account which is an established part of NRL rules.

But the injury supposedly had no part in the guilty verdict. That is blatantly false. Otherwise the several other tackles like it from the same game would also be on the judiciary's desk.

Parra

Referee
Yes, I agree... but for different reasons. It will continue because they have penalised the outcome and not the action. They need to increase the base penalty for dangerous throws and once players start getting a month off (or whatever) for the lowest end of the scale tackles (like the McLean tackle) then they will soon stop doing it, especially when you throw in loading for previous offences, etc.

An 18 month suspension would end the problem once and for all.

typicalfan

Coach
Profoundly stupid statment. A guy is lying in hospital with quadriplegia and your main concern is the game's gone soft.

This isn't Alex McKinnon vs Jordan McLean. Just because someone thinks the verdict is harsh doesn't mean they have no empathy for Alex McKinnon.

magpie4ever

First Grade
What about the tackle of Patterson? What did the Warriors player get? It was ten times worse - so, 70 weeks. No, it was 4 or 5 - wasn't it.

The NRL wanted a scapegoat for this accident and have shot themself in the f**king foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts