What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On-Field Advertising

NRL_Fanatic

Juniors
Kind of random, but something that caught my eye last night.

I noticed the on-field advertising was actually painted onto the field, with the Holden logos in the try-lines and XXXX at the 30 metre lines.

Meanwhile, in the NRL they are digitally enhanced onto the camera.

Any idea as to why this would be properly done last night?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

I noticed the on-field advertising was actually painted onto the field, with the Holden logos in the try-lines and XXXX at the 30 metre lines.

during the NRL matches the logos are digital cause there are two, sometimes three grades all playing on the same day, which have their own sponsors but can all be broadcasted..

so when it's holden cup, there's holden logos...

god knows who sponsors the nsw cup, but they have their own logos there...

and finally the nrl has theirs..

so it allows them to have specific logos for the specific grades on tv..

last night was origin.

that being said, the digital logos shit me. firstly, it takes away any humour from the snickers 'boncos' ad from the 90s..

secondly, i hate seeing the close up, watching someone get tackled on green grass, then when it pans out, the grass suddenly is red.

stupid.

Charlie124

First Grade

I literally only just noticed this a few weeks ago. How long have they been doing this?

My life is a lie.

Harrigan

Juniors
I literally only just noticed this a few weeks ago. How long have they been doing this?

My life is a lie.

I noticed week one. Apparently a couple of seasons now :lol:

How blind I have been not to notice something so damn obvious!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
pretty sure they've been digitally superimposing my dragons out there for the past few rounds..

some11

Referee

My life is a lie.

Haha, I think I noticed it last year when I realised there were no sponsors on the field bar the NRL logo when going to games.

Now all we need is an on-side line for tries from kicks (only on replays) and one behind the scenes for the 10m line that can be measured for every game to see how poorly it is officiated.

Charlie124

First Grade
I only noticed it because the game i was watching at the time was so boring (probably Souths Vs Souths or something) that i found myself reading the advertising and hoping to see players get tackled on the bright red paint, then when it finally happened the camera angle changed and the advertising was gone. Felt robbed.

I only noticed it last year after somebody in the crowd watching a replay on the big screen pointed it out. It could only be recent because sometimes you would see another sport at the SFS and the faded paint of NRL advertising would still be visible.

macnaz

Staff member
Apparently the 3D ones on the field used to confuse Tim Moltzen , so much so he wouldnt run the ball back because he feared tripping over one.

Red Bear

Referee
mind blown. Did not know this. As tonearm said you used to see other old paint on there from previous games at the SFS.

Mind you, only been to one NRL game since the start of last season, might explain it.

Danish

Referee
As usual the logos on foxsports look a million times better than the ones on 9. The fox ones actually show a grass pattern through them while the 9 ones are often just solid panels.

It would be nice if they could super impose a line across the field to check onsides during video referee decisions and also for inside the 10. Those rules are black and white so using cold technology to enforce them would save a hell of a lot of time wasted by idiots watching dozens of replays and trying to do their own mental measurements

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
As usual the logos on foxsports look a million times better than the ones on 9. The fox ones actually show a grass pattern through them while the 9 ones are often just solid panels.

It would be nice if they could super impose a line across the field to check onsides during video referee decisions and also for inside the 10. Those rules are black and white so using cold technology to enforce them would save a hell of a lot of time wasted by idiots watching dozens of replays and trying to do their own mental measurements

Agree with that, funny how hundreds of thousands can be soent on the ads, but zero on parralell lines...

Also pythagarous triangles for kick at goal would be good

Latest posts