What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is loyalty dead?

TheDalek079

Bench
Well, Anthony Minichiello will play his 300th game tonight, making the Roosters the only club to have had 2 players play 300 first grade games for them.

With this in mind, is loyalty dead? At the Roosters, SKD, Mitch Pearce, Nuuausala, Mitch Aubusson are all current 1 club players with 150+ games for the club.

Melbourne look to have Slater, Smith and Cronk be 1 clubers too, with all going to get to 300 (or close to it) before they retire. Warriors have Manu and Mannering who'll end as one club icons.

Sure we may have lots of mid season transfers, but there are plenty of examples of players/clubs being loyal too.

Is loyalty dead?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Well, Anthony Minichiello will play his 300th game tonight, making the Roosters the only club to have had 2 players play 300 first grade games for them.

With this in mind, is loyalty dead? At the Roosters, SKD, Mitch Pearce, Nuuausala, Mitch Aubusson are all current 1 club players with 150+ games for the club.

Melbourne look to have Slater, Smith and Cronk be 1 clubers too, with all going to get to 300 (or close to it) before they retire. Warriors have Manu and Mannering who'll end as one club icons.

Sure we may have lots of mid season transfers, but there are plenty of examples of players/clubs being loyal too.

Is loyalty dead?[/QUOTE]

What is his first name, I just can't place him?

Red Bear

Referee
It's a romantic notion that shouldn't get in the way of business, from a player or clubs point of view

As a fan, love a one club player, great to see. And certainly there should be incentives to clubs to be able to keep players they develop there.

But a player can't always expect loyalty in return from a club, because it's been seen over and over to not happen. I don't think as fan we should necessarily expect loyalty from the players either. It's a short, 10 year career if you're lucky, the players should strive to earn as much as possible in the time, given the sacrifices that go with a league career, both from the toll it takes on your body and the time you spend playing footy when otherwise you would be working towards a longer term career.

Loyalty is nice, but these players are professionals, and should be focussed on getting what is best for them out of their careers and contracts, not what is best for their club.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Jarryd Hayne is around 170 odd games for the Eels,i d say he is more loyal than all the merkins you mentioned since he has stuck with the worst club in the NRL and not done the runner

DC_fan

Coach
Jarryd Hayne is around 170 odd games for the Eels,i d say he is more loyal than all the merkins you mentioned since he has stuck with the worst club in the NRL and not done the runner

His career is not over, so give him a chance.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well we've got Sutton who is a chance at 300 games.

And the likes of Reynolds, Keary and Walker should be 300 game players if everything goes well in terms of cap management and injuries.

His career is not over, so give him a chance.

It does seem crazy that a player of his talent has not been a part of finals footy in the last 5 seasons.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I wouldn't say it's dead. I'd just say that loyalty is a very rare thing nowadays, the sport is growing as a professional business and obviously players and clubs need to do what is best for them.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Loyalty both ways is kind of dead but it has to be. Clubs have to be ruthless sometimes. Jarrod Croker just signed a four year deal with the raiders. He has played 140 games so far so all things being equal he will be at about 230 games the next time his contract comes up. He will be 28 so it's probably likely he will play 300 games plus with the raiders. (obviously lots can happen in the mean time)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
People have been having this debate forever....

In 1907, people would have been sitting at a bar saying "these players want money for playing the game?? loyalty its dead!!"

And in 2050, people will look back on 2014 with a wistful nostalgia of the good old days, "...when the a handshake was as good as a contract. Those were the days."

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yeh Ricko. Mini mentioned he wished the grand final could have been #301 for him so he could finish on the same as Ricko.

Latest posts