What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Souths Go Back To Back In 2015 ?

Swarzey

Bench
I look at their win this year was off the back of emotion that won't be replicated. So no.

Expecting there to be other issues, but the emotion won't be replicated.

Anyone who replies with "no" or "yes" is an idiot. It's not that simple.

The reality is it is unlikely

What's idiotic about having an opinion on how well Souths will go next year? Halfway between truth and a lie is still a lie.

No. Souths won't go back to back. It's that simple.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
they wont be the same team without sam, taking the fuse out of the plug is never a good idea- remember when iestyn harris left the leeds rhinos-they didn't know how to play for the next 6 months

BranVan3000

Coach
I think back to back is all about hunger and for that reason having a change in squad dynamics is probably healthier. Roosters had as close to the same squad as the year before but never looked as hungry

Packy

Bench
No. No Surgess brings them well back in to the pack. Anyone that can't see that is a Bunniesman

nick87

Coach
No. It's almost impossible to repeat in the modern era. I'll take the field against the premiers every year, i felt the Roosters had a good chance to repeat after last year but even they struggled most of the year, they had a good year, dont get me wrong but they were just never really looked like the same team.

And they didnt lose their best player. Souths are not going to be as good without Sam Burgess, that's a given. So i dont think they are any chance of repeating.

maple_69

Bench
For every young guy that had a breakout year who builds on that, there will be a guy who had a breakout year who falls flat the next. Everything lined up for that young back line to perform. It won't necessarily next year.

Valheru

Coach
We have the talent to contend. Talent isn't in question. Desire is in question. Every premiership winning team over the last 21 years has had the talent in the following year, they just didn't have the desire to match it with the teams hungry for success. That is what will decide it next year.

This is the key point.

The roosters did not care about 85% of this season and won matches on pure talent alone. I expect them to be hungrier next year. It is also tough when every team wants to beat you more than any other, it just seemed like this year most teams played their best against us week in week out.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
No.

Probably more emotional investment placed into winning this year than any other club in the last 20 years. Just too hard to sustain that over another season - the majority of that side will consider a premiership their Everest and not be able to muster the desire to climb it again 12 months later (which is not a criticism in any way)

Plus obviously the loss of Burgess means they no longer have an 80m warrior with no peer in the competition. His younger bro is good but they're no longer better than a lot of clubs up front.

Tough to live with the fact I'm an idiot for saying no, but that's my opinion.

JJ

Immortal
Probably not - but imo they start the season equal favourites with the Roosters - North Queensland a shade behind ... in reality the grand final was a week early this year, and Penrith were a huge influence.

I am really interested to see what Penrith do, lots of injuries and hugely over achieved this year in most people's eyes, do they build or fade?

We will have the talent on the park to do it but the drive will not be there.

I'm expecting a similar year next year to what the Roosters produced this year.

We will have our fair share of wins and probably make the top 4 but in the end, someone else will want it more than us.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We will have the talent on the park to do it but the drive will not be there.

I'm expecting a similar year next year to what the Roosters produced this year.

We will have our fair share of wins and probably make the top 4 but in the end, someone else will want it more than us.

It is refreshing to read a fan who is able to post with common sense and a lack of bias about their own side. Kudos sir.

ram raid

Bench
If they play anywhere near the level they played in the finals this year I can't see them being beaten.

It is not impossible, and whilst I think Souths will more likely than not finish in the top 4, I have my doubts about them going back to back. Losing Sam Burgess is a big blow for them, he is the cornerstone of that pack on work rate alone. Whilst Tim Grant and Glenn Stewart are good players, they are not in the same class as Sam Burgess work rate wise.

Then toss in having probably more players than they have hade involved in the Four Nations this year, the earlier start to the Auckland Nines in 2015, plus having to travel to the UK for the World Club Challenge, this is going to put a heavier tax on their player's both physically and mentally.

I am not saying they will be unfit, but all that extra stuff cuts down on recovery time as the rep players won't get much of an off season break -or it will cut down on their pre-season. Pre-season work is where much of the foundation is laid and Maguire (like Trent Robinson found this year) will find he won't have as much time to work with those players before they are back playing games.

Then add in the emotional "comedown" from winning the comp this year. Some may find it harder in 2015 to put in that extra effort that they did in 2014.

Last edited:

Galeforce

Bench
It is possible , however it will have have the same probability as this year . around 5 /1 at start of the year.

To be Premiers
1) a team needs to make top 4
Have a reasonable consistent 26 rounds
have a better than reasonable year with injury/suspension/crisis

2) a team needs to go into the finals with maximum of key players injury free

3) be lucky in the finals key games ( ref decisions/bounce of the ball)

Souths went into this years final series in good shape on above points . If Souths are in same position next year at the end of round 26 , yes they will firm to 3/1 chance to go back to back.

Latest posts