What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing for international games

hutch

First Grade
Neutral refs should be a given for international sport.

Aussie ref had nothing to do with the result.

Samoa are not up to NRL standard - that was the problem.

Samoa are more than up to nrl standard, they are just below the standard of the big 3 test nations. They have improved immensely though.

Parra

Referee
Samoa are more than up to nrl standard, they are just below the standard of the big 3 test nations. They have improved immensely though.

Bullshit. They couldn't beat the Eels. And this was a one-off match. On their lack of discipline alone they would get hammered. And they have no structure, no strategy. Nowhere near NRL standard.

Parra

Referee
Well there you go.

As long as each individual plays in the NRL, the team is NRL standard.

More bullshit.

You might want the game to be that way. But it isn't.

langpark

First Grade
What a joke!! An English ref yesterday (for the England match) and Aussie ref today (for the Aus match)? Were they appointed for those or did they just switch shifts without asking the boss?... Makes us a laughing stock!

expansionist

Juniors
If you want to debate refs, then compare the 2 games this weekend. NZ v England was super fast - open and breathtaking.

Aus v Samoa was wrestling and stupid penalties.

adamkungl

Immortal
Well there you go.

More bullshit.

By your logic half the teams in the NRL must not be NRL standard.

expansionist

Juniors
My apologies as I know I have ranted about this before but here goes:

NRL Rugby League refs DO favour Australia. There is a psychology of association.

The other point I want to reemphasie is that RL favours the dominant team. If you look at the RU world cup - a game like Japan v NZ may end 100-0 to NZ - but the penalty count will be massively in favour of Japan.

In RL - its the opposite. Australia plays Russia for example and russia just gets penalised out of it as they tire and compounds any errors. Then when you take into account the psychology of it - with proffessional players and an english speaking ref - again makes it more difficult.

All refs should be neutral - and i dont mean by nationality - i mean by reffing the dominant comp from where most players are drawn. If for no other reason than to ensure consistency.

deluded pom?

Coach
Agreed. However there were nothing wrong with the decisions in the first half. The Samoans were penalised did to their ill discipline.

Maybe so hutch but are you telling me the Australians didn't commit the same offences because they did but didn't get pulled up for them anywhere near as much as Samoa did. Jennings was all over Leilua in the tackle and it was simply play on. Thaiday laid on the ground hanging onto the Samoan stopping a quick ptb, no penalty, Australia score off next possession. Samoa tackler stands up and knocks the ball out, Aussie loose carry, penalty Australia. Woods all over Godinet to prevent a quick ptb, penalty but no sin bin. Mansour pushes Leilua at the ptb right in front of the TJ, no penalty. Just a few examples of poor officiating.

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
Well there you go.

More bullshit.

How would you know? You havnt watched any games by the looks of it.

Is NZ v Aus a certainty?

You must have been too busy watching all the union snoozefests over the weekend.

league13

Juniors

Actualy the Samoans didn't turn up until the second half and then they outplayed you in that half.If they had started like that it would have been a lot closer.

Parra

Referee
How would you know? You havnt watched any games by the looks of it.

You must have been too busy watching all the union snoozefests over the weekend.

Why would I comment on the Samoan team if I didn't watch the game?

I watched none of the union on this Euro tour.

Why do you watch the union if you deem the games snoozefests?

franklin2323

Immortal
If you want more neutral refs, there needs to be more high class training of foreign refs. Let's face it, outside of Eng and Aus you have a kiwi and a frenchman and that's about it.

That's my issue with the neutral ref. Though when the fixture is announced name all the officals at the same time. So you don't get this teams voting due to referee styles

Parra

Referee
This means that the biggest matches involving Australia wont get the best referees. And matches with NZ v England get refs who are used to different rules.

kier

Juniors
This means that the biggest matches involving Australia wont get the best referees. And matches with NZ v England get refs who are used to different rules.

And matches with Australia will always get refs that suit them better....inherently unfair. It's damaging to the integrity of the sport and a brake on international growth.

thorson1987

Coach
That's my issue with the neutral ref. Though when the fixture is announced name all the officals at the same time. So you don't get this teams voting due to referee styles

Agreed.

I do have one other issue with neutral refs, and that is the fact Perenara is there because he is a Kiwi. Never mind the fact that he shouldn't be anywhere near a level above Bundy Cup.

No matter who Australia plays I don't care who refs, provided it isn't him.

And I hope Bentham gets the final.

Latest posts