What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Grand Final combination is best for rugby league?

Which Grand Final match up would be best for rugby league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jason Maher

Immortal
The Rooaters being there again will do nothing for ratings or rugby league.

The Melbourne vs Brisbane GF 2006 was the highest rating of all time (or at least was at the time, as Sydney fans still watched, but there was a huge bump in VIC and QLD).

That being said, an all QLD affair would probably be even bigger as every house in QLD would have the game on, and NSW would adopt the Cowboys.

So in summary, as long as the Broncos make it, it will be a huge GF for rugby league

Yep. Queenslanders spit the dummy if one of their teams isn't in it. Ditto Victorians. Only New South Welshmen watch the Big Dance no matter what, and no matter how hard we despise one or both participants.

Raiderdave

First Grade
the Storm involved will push ratings toward 4 million , if its the Broncos they play , then past 4 Million ... so that'd be the NRL's choice. I think the Roosters will beat the Broncos up there next week & Play the Storm !

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Yep. Queenslanders spit the dummy if one of their teams isn't in it. Ditto Victorians. Only New South Welshmen watch the Big Dance no matter what, and no matter how hard we despise one or both participants.

What an absolute load of garbage.

adamkungl

Immortal
Cowboys v Anyone

We all know they're the only team people could stomach bandwagoning left. Brisbane Melbourne and Easts all hated

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Nice try but fail.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2013/10/nrl-grand-final-2013-tv-ratings/

2013, Manly and Roosters. Up there with the two most unpopular clubs in QLD.

In Sydney a peak audience of more than 1.18 million viewers
Brisbane attracted a peak audience of 692,887 viewers.

If you look through all the ratings you'll notice Brisbane usually has half or over half the peak audience, in a city of less than half the size.

eozsmiles

Bench
As long as Cowboys are there, the interest will be high, and there's a few reasons for that:

- It will be either of Broncos or Roosters playing, meaning we are likely in for a fast paced, entertaining game of footy.
- I would guesstimate that majority of supporters whose team is already gone would 'like to be the Cowboys win'.
- It means Melbourne won't be there!

Having the cows involved will exclude a big city from the promotion, although it will be Melbourne who are a second tier league town anyway and the AFL GF is the same weekend. The Cows licked Rupert's arse for a while though so the news corp papers should give them a nice run.

Danish

Referee
All of melbournes grand final appearances in the Bellamy era have been terrible one sided spectacles. So for the neutrals I hope they aren't there.

For those of us supporting the teams still playing, I honestly don't think anyone would have a preference of opponent. Roosters would like to best the storm to avenge week 1, and cows would probably like to beat Broncos for the same reason, but outside of that everyone is fairly evenly matched

DiegoNT

First Grade
My biggest fear about an all qld final is that it means lockyer and wally will be commentators on our biggest event. There will be thousands of casual or first time nrl viewers and to put them through an endless loop of 'dictate terms ' ' numbers on the left' or ' go you good thing '. The upside would be that it should be an attractive game to watch. An all WA AFL GF looks likely so having storm in the finals would be good, but a Cowboys vs Roosters finals would be my preferred option

gUt

Coach
All of melbournes grand final appearances in the Bellamy era have been terrible one sided spectacles. So for the neutrals I hope they aren't there.

I wouldn't call 2006 a terrible one sided spectacle

Ice_Storm

Juniors
f**k Melbourne. f**k an all Queensland Grand Final.

Cowboys vs Roosters all the way.

Roosters have a no name team with no attacking players. Unlike Melbourne, they play a defensive orientated game. They would close out any attack the Cowboys have.

Brisbane are the same as the roosters and slow the play the balls down better then any team.

For the good of the game, a Melbourne vs North QLD is the ideal match up for TV ratings and pure attacking RL. The best players in the game play for these two clubs.

some11

Referee
Unfortunately Brisbane and Sydney Roosters have many no names with no attacking flair.

Roosters have a no name team with no attacking players.

Brisbane are the same as the roosters and slow the play the balls down better then any team.

EjJopdb.jpg

alien

Referee
i don't know about best for rugby league, but out of the 4 teams left, i hope it's a Brisbane Broncos vs North Queensland Cowboys gf, with the cowboys winning it