What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we survive?

BigH

Juniors
It's going to be hard to survive, the NRL wants a national competition. So some local clubs will not survive
What we need is a new ceo and staff to prevent this and the club must perform on the field

Mr Red

First Grade
It's going to be hard to survive, the NRL wants a national competition. So some local clubs will not survive
What we need is a new ceo and staff to prevent this and the club must perform on the field

less teams in Sydney has been on the agenda for a number of years, with the NRL hoping some would die off financially before the NRL had to step in and exclude some by withdrawing the license.

West Tigers look like they could fold naturally soon, however a couple more clubs would have to make room as well.
ideally as much as most supporters on both sides would hate it, the logical scenario is we merge with the Sharks to form a southern sydney superclub.

BennyV

Referee
less teams in Sydney has been on the agenda for a number of years, with the NRL hoping some would die off financially before the NRL had to step in and exclude some by withdrawing the license.

West Tigers look like they could fold naturally soon, however a couple more clubs would have to make room as well.
ideally as much as most supporters on both sides would hate it, the logical scenario is we merge with the Sharks to form a southern sydney superclub.

I dont see why people would hate this so much...I mean, as long as we play Sydney home games exclusively out of Kogarah, keep the traditional Red V as our home jersey, our alternate strip pays homage to the Illawarra region, we keep the 'Dragons' logo, dont have any mention of Cronulla or Sharks, priority seating given to existing Red V fans, and Cronulla fans are prevented from attending any games, I see no issue...

The Nick

Bench

According to who? Gallop was opposed to culling any Sydney teams, Smith never put it on his agenda.

There's only ever been talk of expansion - Grant clarified that when the time is right 2 new franchises will be added, but there still isn't a set timeline for that.

Any talk of a Sydney team being culled or relocated as always been pure speculation from the media and fans. I know there was a push for a team to relocate to the central coast but even that's been dead in the water for several years now.

Mr Red

First Grade
I dont see why people would hate this so much...I mean, as long as we play Sydney home games exclusively out of Kogarah, keep the traditional Red V as our home jersey, our alternate strip pays homage to the Illawarra region, we keep the 'Dragons' logo, dont have any mention of Cronulla or Sharks, priority seating given to existing Red V fans, and Cronulla fans are prevented from attending any games, I see no issue...

exactly :)

SBD82

Coach

Needs a Rothfield clause.

bottle

Coach

I'm on board with this.

Yes that would turn clock back 50 years to when our little brother the sharks were playing in the second division with Penrith and Wentworthville.

Makes sense but can't see this happening now that Cronulla is getting a massive property development windfall.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Anyone who thinks we are not 'owned' by the NRL should read Masters' column in today's SMH. Why on earth would we sign a Participation Agreement if we were not being held over a barrel? Perhaps us, WT, Newcastle and the Titans know more and are better run than the other clubs?

Acka

Coach
Anyone who thinks we are not 'owned' by the NRL should read Masters' column in today's SMH. Why on earth would we sign a Participation Agreement if we were not being held over a barrel? Perhaps us, WT, Newcastle and the Titans know more and are better run than the other clubs?

I do remember reading that Penrith asked the NRL for a loan but it was on the proviso they signed a participation agreement. They didn't want to so they got a loan from a bank

Just waiting for The Dick to chime in with a nonsensical rebuke.

Straight Shooter

Mr Red

First Grade

so we may not be "owned" by the NRL, but definitely "pwned" by them...
i guess thats what you're saying... ;-)

grouch

First Grade
so we may not be "owned" by the NRL, but definitely "pwned" by them...
i guess thats what you're saying... ;-)
Absolutely spot on.

The NRL didnt need to install their own dummy board at the Dragons, because they already had one

Hills Dragon

Juniors
I think St George Leagues Club management needs to look at developing a huge club in Hurstville with hundreds of gaming machnes (although I personally hate them), where they can make some serious money. This is an area with a large Asian population who love to gamble, and a central location with a large railway hub. Then, and only then, can the club compete financially, unless we can find a billionaire or a friendly multi-millionaire actor. The current leagues club is too far from public transport and high-density housing.

I think St George Leagues Club management needs to look at developing a huge club in Hurstville with hundreds of gaming machnes (although I personally hate them), where they can make some serious money. This is an area with a large Asian population who love to gamble, and a central location with a large railway hub. Then, and only then, can the club compete financially, unless we can find a billionaire or a friendly multi-millionaire actor. The current leagues club is too far from public transport and high-density housing.

Problem is such a site in Hurstville is not achievable given the cost of real estate in CBD Hurstville.

Club has partially suffered because we don't play regularly out of Kogarah anymore.

Desperately needs an upgrade and change of direction.

Nothing has changed at the club for decades. Naturally poor admin has left the club well behind its competitors.

It constitutes a prime redevelopment site in the next property boom.

Canterbury Leagues Club, has a variety of excellent restaurants and a large gym.

It is a modern relevant facility. St.Georges Leagues is stuck in a time warp.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Problem is such a site in Hurstville is not achievable given the cost of real estate in CBD Hurstville.

Club has partially suffered because we don't play regularly out of Kogarah anymore.

Desperately needs an upgrade and change of direction.

Nothing has changed at the club for decades. Naturally poor admin has left the club well behind its competitors.

It constitutes a prime redevelopment site in the next property boom.

Canterbury Leagues Club, has a variety of excellent restaurants and a large gym.

It is a modern relevant facility. St.Georges Leagues is stuck in a time warp.

Yes but haven't you heard the constant rhetoric from doust that the leagues club needs to scale back funding to the footy club? What will it matter where the club is and how much money it makes if that's the case. Something doesn't add up.

Yes but haven't you heard the constant rhetoric from doust that the leagues club needs to scale back funding to the footy club? What will it matter where the club is and how much money it makes if that's the case. Something doesn't add up.

Maybe because the Leagues Club is on a clear downward spiral. Wollongong Club is in the same boat.

Maybe Doust thinks the next pay TV deal Doust will fund the footy side purely from TV revenue.

With training facilities effectively based in Wollongong and Doust move to play at ANZ or the Olympic Stadium, perhaps the directors may feel there is little point in supporting a footy side that is no longer solely devoted to the local St George area community. They are supposed to spend money on local community sport.

Latest posts