What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Rumour for the conspiracy theorists: Guy on FB saying his mate works at the Tits, they didn't want Peats and are pissed at the NRL forcing them to take him.

I guess that it was in the NRL's interests for the game to get back in the headlines for the right reasons ASAP.

ash411

Bench
Everything aside, Sharp would be mad to turn up to the game tonight. Even if he actually did nothing wrong, nobody knows that right now and the anger and hate he will cop is not worth him showing his face at Pirtek tonight.

Same goes for Fitzy as well, but you can bet your house that he will show up, and be talking a big game too.

Anyone who is at the game (I will be) if you happen to see Fitzy, please harrang him, tell him he's no longer welcome in Parramatta and to just go away quietly, leave the club alone and let us heal.

If they have any sense left they'll leave out that stupid "from chairman bla bla bla..." nonsense when they announce the crowd figure too. Or they should say "from Brad and the boys" cause that what we're really there for.

born an eel

Bench
so has been back on the board for over 2 years while this has been going on and has admitted he hasn't even bothered to read all the evidence, how can he be teflon Geoff through this?
Parramatta Eels salary cap saga: Geoff Gerard reveals his plan to turn the club’s fortunes around
May 12, 2016 7:36am
Exclusive Dean RitchieThe Daily Telegraph
Subscriber Exclusive Icon

A SENIOR Parramatta board member has finally spoken out about the club’s salary cap mess, calling for an end to the “factionalism and self interest” and to finally put the Eels first.

Geoff Gerard, a former Eels grand final prop, spoke with The Daily Telegraph and hopes Nathan Peats’ Gold Coast move will make them salary cap compliant before Friday’s night’s big match against South Sydney at what’s shaping as a sold-out Pirtek Stadium.

“I have sat on different (Parramatta) boards at times when I have seriously looked people in the face and said: ‘Are you really here for this club?’”Gerard said.

He has assured fans that his focus is on three areas — becoming salary cap compliant, offering players and staff counselling and helping Kieran Foran. While Gerard sympathised with Anthony Watmough, Ryan Morgan and Peats being forced to leave, he said the club was in a position in which tough decisions had to be made.

“It will certainly affect them and their families but the bigger picture here is the club,” Gerard said.

THE SALARY CAP

“Seriously, for our supporters and players, it’s got to be about becoming salary cap compliant,” Gerard said.

There is a bit of crisis management at this time but we are trying to deal with that the best we can.

“Obviously the club went to the Supreme Court and that will be dealt with over time.

“This is a community club. We have fans, we have members, we’ve got to do everything we can, in my opinion, to get a football team on the field playing for points on Friday night.

“I have been working with (Eels auditor) Ian Schubert, the coach (Brad Arthur) and (assistant coach) Peter Sharp.

“The members and people that I know who have spoken to me have given support to me, which has been encouraging.

“They are concerned with what’s going on, but they are saying to me what I am saying to you, the three things I am focusing on and they are saying: ‘Yep, good idea’.”

Coach Brad Arthur has been hailed by members of the Eels board.
THE BIG FIVE

The “Gang of Five” — Eels chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous, head of football Daniel Anderson, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao — are all under pressure to stand down.

“The only thing I can say is that the mantra here has always been club first. This is a decision each of them has to make for themselves,” Gerard said. “

“There is always a presumption of innocence. Can I tell you whether they are guilty before they have tried to clear their names? I can’t. I haven’t seen all the evidence yet.”

“Their suspensions have left fans questioning who is actually in charge at Parramatta.

“While the three board members aren’t allowed to have anything to do with the day-to-day running of the club, they are still active board members and we still have a chairman,” Gerard said.

“There is a bit of crisis management at this time but we are trying to deal with that the best we can.”

Eels director Geoff Gerard has said it is time to move on from the ‘mess’.
THE ANGER

What has really infuriated Gerard through this saga?

“Just putting the club and supporters through all of this,’’ he said. “It’s a crap scene we have but we can only deal with issues we can control. We have to draw a line in the sand here. The issue has always been, over the last six years, factionalism.

“Factionalism that still continues behind the team. I have had so many people that have said they are here for the club but it’s about self interest. It’s driving me crazy.”

It’s a crap scene we have but we can only deal with issues we can control. We have to draw a line in the sand here

THE FANS

“We have to be doing everything for our fans,” Gerard said.

“I have been through some dark days at Parra but we are a resilient lot and I believe we are very close to having a sellout on Friday night.

“Our people will turn out to support the players, give them encouragement and I think it’s going to be one hell of a game.”

More than 20,000 fans are expected to pack Pirtek Stadium tomorrow night and Gerard said they deserved an apology and a thank you.

“But it’s a bit hard to do that because we still have to go through the review of the five people with the NRL,” he said.

THE PLAYERS

At least three players needed to be offloaded for Parramatta to become cap compliant.

“Unfortunately now, despite the fact that we love our sport, it’s still also part business and in business sometimes people have to move on and find new opportunities,” he said.

“If people have to move on for the club to continue to play for points, they are hard decisions, but they have to be made.”

Eels will be giving Kieran Foran any help and support he needs
THE COACH

The Eels are lucky to have coach Brad Arthur, according to Gerard.

“We’ve got the best coach in the game at the moment,” he said. “He’s been dealing with a lot of stuff and he has kept that playing group very tight.

“He is a credit to our club. He is a super person. Sometimes he’s not very patient, we all know that with Brad. But we know he is fully committed to the club and keeping the group together.

“I can’t commend him enough. We are lucky to have someone like him.”

THE STAR

It is understood Foran remains in a Queensland hospital, and won’t play against the Rabbitohs on Friday night.

“Another priority is getting the best care we can for Kieran. I have spoken to his manager to make sure he has got that,” Gerard said. “As far as I know, the coach is the only one that talks to him.

“I have given the approval for his manager to get whatever he needs to help him through this.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...c9bbb3b1ff7be34fd90f1b9fc#load-story-comments

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There was a poster stating this here yesterday. Said his friend works there

Titans would be insane to knock back Peats. They have the base for a bloody good side, have potentially the best young half combo in the game but lack some experience in key positions. And it's not like they had any clear contender for the hooker spot in coming years or players knocking on their door to join them.

ash411

Bench
so has been back on the board for over 2 years while this has been going on and has admitted he hasn't even bothered to read all the evidence, how can he be teflon Geoff through this?

You're paraphrasing and misquoting there. Auditioning for the DT perhaps?

He said he hadn't seen all the evidence yet. Not once did he say he hadn't bothered. I'm sure there is a lot of evidence to go through, some of which the NRL hasn't even released to the Eels yet.

I'm all for jumping on a hate train if that what you want to do, but at least be accurate. It's bad enough we have the media taking things out of context and misquoting all the time, the fans can't be doing it to.

I don't care what "team" your on, at least stick to facts, don't make shit up cause it fits your narrative.

born an eel

Bench
You're paraphrasing and misquoting there. Auditioning for the DT perhaps?

He said he hadn't seen all the evidence yet. Not once did he say he hadn't bothered. I'm sure there is a lot of evidence to go through, some of which the NRL hasn't even released to the Eels yet.

I'm all for jumping on a hate train if that what you want to do, but at least be accurate. It's bad enough we have the media taking things out of context and misquoting all the time, the fans can't be doing it to.

I don't care what "team" your on, at least stick to facts, don't make shit up cause it fits your narrative.

ok shouldn't have used the term "bothered" but you would think a board member would make it a priority to ask for and read all the available evidence especially when they were required to be "cap compliant" by today.

ash411

Bench
ok shouldn't have used the term "bothered" but you would think a board member would make it a priority to ask for and read all the available evidence especially when they were required to be "cap compliant" by today.

They have some time to paw through all the evidence, they needed to get under the cap, now. I think that might have been his priority.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Everything aside, Sharp would be mad to turn up to the game tonight. Even if he actually did nothing wrong, nobody knows that right now and the anger and hate he will cop is not worth him showing his face at Pirtek tonight.

Same goes for Fitzy as well, but you can bet your house that he will show up, and be talking a big game too.

Anyone who is at the game (I will be) if you happen to see Fitzy, please harrang him, tell him he's no longer welcome in Parramatta and to just go away quietly, leave the club alone and let us heal.

If they have any sense left they'll leave out that stupid "from chairman bla bla bla..." nonsense when they announce the crowd figure too. Or they should say "from Brad and the boys" cause that what we're really there for.

Fitzy is still pretty much a regular at the chairmans lounge and it wouldn't surprise me if there again tonight...if he does show he's face it'll only confirm to all that he is a low despicable human.

ash411

Bench
Fitzy is still pretty much a regular at the chairmans lounge and it wouldn't surprise me if there again tonight...if he does show he's face it'll only confirm to all that he is a low despicable human.

And no doubt he'll be bragging about how he "saved" the club from sharp & co.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Good question, but don't expect any answers because you may get a post removed.........

yy_cheng

Coach
Rumour for the conspiracy theorists: Guy on FB saying his mate works at the Tits, they didn't want Peats and are pissed at the NRL forcing them to take him.

They interviewed Greg Bird last night and he seemed filthy that Peats was coming.

He was saying that they already had a number of hookers and with Peats coming, someone will be affected.

He then said as Peats have been saying that, it is what it is and we'll have a quality player come into the team.

I still think there is a conspiracy here. I think the NRL's report is shaky and as they don't want it to go public or get challenged later on, there are all these deals going on.

ash411

Bench
They interviewed Greg Bird last night and he seemed filthy that Peats was coming.

He was saying that they already had a number of hookers and with Peats coming, someone will be affected.

He then said as Peats have been saying that, it is what it is and we'll have a quality player come into the team.

I still think there is a conspiracy here. I think the NRL's report is shaky and as they don't want it to go public or get challenged later on, there are all these deals going on.

Really??? Come on man.. You need to come to terms with the fact that we got busted. There's no way around it, we tried to skirt the rules and we got caught, end of story.

ash411

Bench
As if he didn't.

Knowing about it and being actively engaged in it are two different things.

I reckon he knew what was going on but probably wasn't a part of actually doing it, but there was no way in hell he was telling anyone. It wouldn't make sense for a coach to not twig on to that, same with Bellamy.

yy_cheng

Coach
Really??? Come on man.. You need to come to terms with the fact that we got busted. There's no way around it, we tried to skirt the rules and we got caught, end of story.

We got busted I agree. I just don't think that the NRL did a competant job. 2 different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts