What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowie gone

The run in 2014 lead by Sowie was great fun and the semi against Easts is the best game I've ever been to live. Hopefully he comes back to do some halves coaching.

BxTom

Bench
Panthers release Jamie Soward

Penrith Panthers can confirm playmaker Jamie Soward has been immediately released from the remainder of his contract with the club.

The 31-year-old played 53 games for the Panthers after joining the club ahead of the 2014 season.

"Jamie feels the time is now right to pursue an opportunity to finish his career in England," Panthers Executive General Manager Phil Gould AM said.

"How playing careers begin and end is not an exact science but he has recognised there are a number of emerging talents at the club who deserve the chance to progress.

"Jamie has been wonderful for the Panthers and has done everything we have ever asked of him. He has been a leader, on and off the field, and played a key role in the development of our younger players.

"If Jamie sees a future for himself in coaching, once his playing days have come to an end, it is my intention that he will begin that coaching career here at the Panthers."

Panthers CEO Rugby League Corey Payne, who played alongside Soward at St George-Illawarra Dragons, echoed Gould’s sentiments.

"Jamie has been a great servant to this club and to rugby league in Australia," he said.

"I wish him all the best with his future endeavours and want him to know he will always be welcome at the Panthers."

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/06/30/panthers_release_jam.html

Kilkenny

Coach
This decision is good for Jamie and good for our club.

Jamie obviously wants to extend his playing career and therefore the best option for him is the English Super League where he clearly will do a good job for another season or two.

At the same time it allows us to free up a path for our youngsters and frees up some much need salary cap space.

Good luck to Jamie and I hope he enjoys success over there in the Old Dart. He will certainly enjoy the experience of living and playing in the UK.

SweetandSoward

Juniors
But I don't think Soward belongs in the second tier superleague.

Thats worse than NSW cup.

He should have signed with leeds or st helens

Doomednow

Bench
He'll dominate in the second tier, get the Broncos promoted, and then play a season or two in Super League.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sowie will be fine. He get's to continue playing footy, in a great city ie London and extend his playing career for another season or two getting paid for what he loves doing. Trust me the bright lights of London are so much better than the dim of the north of England. If you been to St Helens (near Liverpool) you'll know what I mean. Leeds isn't much better so I think he has made the right choice.

Pomoz

Bench
Sowie will be fine. He get's to continue playing footy, in a great city ie London and extend his playing career for another season or two getting paid for what he loves doing. Trust me the bright lights of London are so much better than the dim of the north of England. If you been to St Helens (near Liverpool) you'll know what I mean. Leeds isn't much better so I think he has made the right choice.
Hmm, St Helens is like Penrith, working class town with salt of the earth people. But would you move there?

Let me tell you the story about my missus who is from St Helens. I had decided to emigrate to Australia and we were in the early throes of a relationship and it was starting to become serious. I nervously told her "if we got engaged I would likely ask you to come with me to Australia and you would leave your family behind and the town you grew up in". Her reply, "I'll get my coat, when do we go?".

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Plenty of girls are equally keen to leave Penrith at marriageable age too.

On a completely different tack, Sowie signed with us for four years at the age of 29. I hope a lesson is learned here.

Kilkenny

Coach
Hmm, St Helens is like Penrith, working class town with salt of the earth people. But would you move there?

Let me tell you the story about my missus who is from St Helens. I had decided to emigrate to Australia and we were in the early throes of a relationship and it was starting to become serious. I nervously told her "if we got engaged I would likely ask you to come with me to Australia and you would leave your family behind and the town town you grew up in". Her reply, "I'll get my coat, when do we go?".

I like that. Good Story and wise move.

I spent a few years as a kid in Frodsham which is about 25 kilometres from St Helens.

I was back there in 2014 with my 25 year old son travelling around the UK and trust me St Helens is not anything like Penrith now. Yes I agree working class, great people but frankly Penrith is a great place to live St Helens on the other hand well best not said.

Foxsports said that Sowie set up 8 of 10 tries last week in NSW cup. But He said he didn't want to be a distraction to the team and also said he'll be back on his twitter so very selfless and hopefully he'll be back to coach soon

Pomoz

Bench
I like that. Good Story and wise move.

I spent a few years as a kid in Frodsham which is about 25 kilometres from St Helens.

I was back there in 2014 with my 25 year old son travelling around the UK and trust me St Helens is not anything like Penrith now. Yes I agree working class, great people but frankly Penrith is a great place to live St Helens on the other hand well best not said.
Frodsham! Small world, I proposed to my missus there at the Helsby Arms, a fine establishment. I go to St Helens every 18 months to visit my wife's family with her and I hear you, but it has improved 5000% since the eighties when it was so depressed and rundown with high unemployment.

There are some extremely tough men to come out of that area and nearby Manchester and Liverpool. James Graham and Adrian Morely to name but two who would probably scare Dracula on a dark night (Graham's death stare must have some players changing underwear after the game. Those eyes!). I always joke that even the stray dogs go around in twos in St Helens.

Kilkenny

Coach
Frodsham! Small world, I proposed to my missus there at the Helsby Arms, a fine establishment. I go to St Helens every 18 months to visit my wife's family with her and I hear you, but it has improved 5000% since the eighties when it was so depressed and rundown with high unemployment.

There are some extremely tough men to come out of that area and nearby Manchester and Liverpool. James Graham and Adrian Morely to name but two who would probably scare Dracula on a dark night (Graham's death stare must have some players changing underwear after the game. Those eyes!). I always joke that even the stray dogs go around in twos in St Helens.

Haven't enjoyed an ale in the Helsby Arms unforuntately but did have a pint in both the Red Lion and Bears Paw when there in 2014. For the record had one of the best pie's ever in the township of Frodsham in a little bakery somewhere between the afrorementioned pubs.

Since emigrating here in 1970 I have been back a couple of times with my dad and sons but not with the wife. I am making a bucket list thing to get there with her and if we do I will make a point of visiting the Helsby Arms and having a pint when in the vicinity of showing her where I grew up as a youngster.

The user name of Pomoz now makes much sense.