What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Pou - not an over reaction?

If we lose Norman we are in a bit of trouble. Unless we sign a very good player.

Id be a little upset if FORAN went to the dogs. Why? Cause you know it would be for about 500-600k off the cap and a big amount of TPA's

Legal Eel

Juniors
On thing that must be remembered is that the signing of Corey Norman three years ago was scoffed at in many quarters as a "Broncos reject" and as an "overs" signing.

So if we don't retain him (and to be clear, I fervently hope we do), I have no doubt we will attract or unearth a quality replacement.

I would not have said this two years ago or even twelve months ago, but there is a faith in the direction Arthur is taking this team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We have good forwards and outside backs. Whoever we bring into the halves won't have a hard job, number 7 curse notwithstanding.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think there is somewhat of an overreaction here.

I would be just as upset as anyone if Norman left in the wake of Foran and then we failed to sign Hayne.

But if this happens, then I think you may find a couple of decent options on the market to spend the likely $2m in cap space:

1) For about max $300,000 we could get a hooker (perhaps a Baptiste or Cherrington or maybe Segeyaro or maybe even Mitch Rein); AND
2) a decent prop for about $350,000.00 ( perhaps a Paul Vaughan type or Sam Moa); AND
3) a quite decent back-up second rower and outside back for a total of $350,000 for both; AND
4) about a million on TWO quality halves....and depending on where Foran goes this may prove to be a combination from Josh Reynolds, Jackson Hastings, the Nikorimas, Ryan Matterson, Connor Watson, Sam Williams, Blake Green, maybe Te Maire martin (who knows what happens at the Panthers)....or who knows what other stars can be tempted to relocate?

I appreciate that these people are not necessarily off contract, but a market re-shuffle can lead to interesting unforeseen outcomes.

It may even mean that our available money in the halves could be warehoused for a shot at a blossoming superstar in twelve months time such as a Valentine Holmes or an evolved version of Mitchell Moses.

My point is that even though my personal first preference is Norman and maybe Hayne (love him but unsure of the expenditure and opportunity cost), the failure to retain or sign these blokes does not mean that the current team that Arthur is building will be completely lost as some have intimated...

If anything, I think the building blocks of team ethos and forward dominance instituted this year stand us in good stead for the next 3-5 years

Yep. Wont find that sort of rigorous analysis on law.com

Welcome Legal Eel.

84 Baby

Referee
But if this happens, then I think you may find a couple of decent options on the market to spend the likely $2m in cap space:

1) For about max $300,000 we could get a hooker (perhaps a Baptiste or Cherrington or maybe Segeyaro or maybe even Mitch Rein); AND
2) a decent prop for about $350,000.00 ( perhaps a Paul Vaughan type or Sam Moa); AND
3) a quite decent back-up second rower and outside back for a total of $350,000 for both; AND
4) about a million on TWO quality halves....and depending on where Foran goes this may prove to be a combination from Josh Reynolds, Jackson Hastings, the Nikorimas, Ryan Matterson, Connor Watson, Sam Williams, Blake Green, maybe Te Maire martin (who knows what happens at the Panthers)....or who knows what other stars can be tempted to relocate?
Whilst not disagreeing with you,
1. another hooker is least important to almost unnecessary given we already have 2 under contract. The right player at a good price is different story but I wouldn't go chasing.
2. can never have enough props, and really only has to be better than Gower or Penis to make top 17
3. backups are players you chase to fill out top 25 right at end of season so you know they'll be cheap. Can't be bothered doing maths on cap but $175k seems a bit too much for players you aren't considering for your top 25.
4. a million dollars for any combination of the halves you listed would be a million dollars better spent elsewhere

Legal Eel

Juniors
Whilst not disagreeing with you,
1. another hooker is least important to almost unnecessary given we already have 2 under contract. The right player at a good price is different story but I wouldn't go chasing.
2. can never have enough props, and really only has to be better than Gower or Penis to make top 17
3. backups are players you chase to fill out top 25 right at end of season so you know they'll be cheap. Can't be bothered doing maths on cap but $175k seems a bit too much for players you aren't considering for your top 25.
4. a million dollars for any combination of the halves you listed would be a million dollars better spent elsewhere

All fair enough responses. My reply:

1. Agreed - but I feel we lack quality in this area and need a solid first grader of a fresher vintage than De gois....I had hopes for King and Pritchard, but one obviously isn't rated by the coaching staff and the other is injury prone.
2. just think we need a prop that may offer a point of difference to what we have;
3. agreed - I was being generous with the figures of $175k more to highlight the money at our disposal. Perhaps for $175k we can pick up some proper first graders for the top 25 - or spend a bit less and upgrade Mau and Radradra in an enticement to stay
4. you are possibly right - but again, I am attempting to highlight the money available for a combination of halves. I believe your objection proves my point that a million dollars should theoretically secure a more than decent halves combination....mind you, if we can keep Norman and secure Blake Green with him that would be outstanding in the context of a beefed up squad of forwards and outside backs as mentioned above.

hybrideel

Bench
Valentine Holmes is a must for 2018, I have been saying he is the future Hayne for years now before anyone even knew who he was. Let him develop at the Sharks and throw him at Fullback to carve it up for us.
You seem to have some opinion that we can get whoever we want with the Cronk talk and now this. We aren't the Broncos FFS, who seem to land whoever they want. All legit of course. Now we are going to have to do things by the rules, to pry either of those guys away from their current, well performing clubs would take massive overs which would bugger our cap up more than our current situation.
Besides i haven't seem anything from Holmes to suggest that he will be any better than French who we already have

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon he will - no mail, just a theory.

Yeah he owes us big time. Any chance of a run into the finals ceased with his shenanigans.
fist.gif

Latest posts